Silencer In The Field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencer In The Field

My friend and I are arguing over whether or not its worth it to bring a silencer in the field with you for your sniper rifle. Is there really a point?
    -Zack
    "The worst evil is ignorace." -Socrates

The supressor will generally increase the rifles overall effectiveness, given that its properly mounted and deployed. It also adds weight and length to an already long and heavy weapon. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE LAWS REGARDING THEM BEFORE YOU GET ONE.

On some firing ranges and hunting grounds in Europe they are mandatory.

Take care.

Comment

yes there is a point.
      Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
      Thomas

Comment

In fact, more than one point!
        Dave Bahde

Training is the key to survival, the harder you train, the more likely you are to survive!

Comment

The "point" would have a lot to do with the "mission." Cans can be very effective when utilized correctly....but then again, so can laser guilded missles...again, it depends on the mission.
          Life's Tough, but it's a lot tougher if you are stupid.
          John Wayne

Comment

Hey Alpha, your Dept. issues laser guided missles. I have been asking mine to supply them for use against Meth labs for about a year with out any luck. Let me know how you went about getting the brass to give in.
            "There are three kinds of people in the world. There are Wolves and there are Sheep. And there are those who protect the Sheep from the Wolves..."-Christopher Sheilds
            My Webpage

Comment

Since we are back on this! I personally think that a supressor is a "must" for all of my firearms and I believe that it brings more out of the firearm and the shooter under all scenarios and situations.

Does anybody have any comments on this?

Take care.

Comment

No comments. SP is waiting on our paperwork so that we can buy, sell, and manufacture suppressors. We may have lots of comments after that.
                Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
                Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

Put me on your mailing list as soon as you get licensed and into production...in the meantime I will start squirrling away milk money so the wife won't notice it gone missing later.

Lawman, the trick to getting certain toys in the dept is all on how you write them up...I got them to buy off on the missles as a way to destroy and instantly dispose of meth labs...the heat vaporizes all chemicals, thus we save money by not having the hazmat guys have to show up....while this works well in those farmhouse labs, we are still having a little problem with the ones in apt buildings...I try and tell them most of the apts need to be torn down and replaced anyway, but you know how unreasonable the brass can be some time.
                  John Wayne

Comment

I see the deployment of a suppressor/silencer on a SWS as a vital component of the system , they have been in wide spread use since WWII , however most sniper use has been when in actual times of WAR.
                    During Peace time leasons are lost and budgets cut , and one of the easy cuts is to the poor old sniper , in both rifle & equipment.
                    It is easy for some one who has no experience with suppressor's ( eihter with subsonic or supersonic ammo ) to state that there is no real need for one on a SWS , this may make him feel better , especially if he is unable to legally own one in his country.
                    The main advantages of using a suppressor are , the visuall signature is vastly reduced ( both flash & gasses ) , the sound signature is reduced & masked , and lastly the weapons recoil is reduced ( this is especially useful on the big magnums , 338LM etc ).
                    The draw backs are , increased OAL of the SWS , and increased weight , but what price do you put on Battlefield survablilty.
                    A well designed and made suppressor will enhance the overall performance of the weapon.

Comment

Guys I dont know if any of you have any experience with this company, but I think it really is one of coolest websites I have ever seen and it has great video of their cans with sonic and subsonic ammo.

http://www.swrmfg.com/products.asp

As a civilian I am really sad that it is so much work and money to own suppressors, are they really so dangerous for the general public?

Comment

I can't remember exact NFA/ATF rules regarding silencers. When the tax stamp is purchased and approved by BATF, is the "can" tied to a specific weapon during the registration (ie can only be used with this rifle with xxxxxx serial number?) Or is the can itself the only item registered, and therefore can be used on any weapon for which it was manufactured for?

Comment

Mbrandy, to answer your question no, cans are not really dangerous to the public, but that doesn't seem to matter to the folks that want to take away your second amendment rights piece by piece. For example, did you know that not one, no not one legally owed fully automatic weapon was ever used in a crime before they were taken away from the general public and now require the federal tax stamp etc...

Once again, the left pray on the sheeps fears to pass regulations that in turn are meant to keep the sheep under their thumbs....I could go on and on, but that may be an issue for the 2'nd amendment thread.
                          John Wayne

Comment

alpha6

I was trying to make a point regarding civilians and suppressors I know that they aren't dangerous. Regarding your point about crimes with full auto weapons I totaly agree that civilians should be able to own them as well, but are you sure that there weren't any crimes commited with legally owned thompson submachine guns? You remember that in those days you could order them through the mail.

Comment

No, its a fact...the term being LEGALLY OWNED. Now, many illegally obtained (stolen) Thompsons, etc were used in crimes, but none that were legally owned. Much like today that most weapons used in crimes are stolen, black market guns, etc. And much to the horror of the left wing get rid of the evil guns crowd, states that have enacted more liberal concelled weapons laws have actually seen a decrease in violent crimes. And I read just the other day that in New Zealand I believe, they outlawed the ownership of weapons and in the first year saw an increase in violent crimes of around 3000 percent and crimes with weapons increase some nutso amount also. Why, cause only the criminals have guns now and they know that the general pop. do not. If anyone wants the exact statistics, I am sure I can look them up, but interesting that the "fair and balanced" media doesn't write about that story.
                              John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X