Which suppressor for a .338 Lapua

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which suppressor for a .338 Lapua

Down the road I want to purchase or build a .338 lapua. I'm thinking of getting the jump on things by getting the suppressor in the works so when I get it done I have the suppressor.

Who make the best .338 suppressor in your opinion and what material do you prefer (steel or titanium). I know Liberty advertises here. I think ACC makes one. Can Corp in VA also, I think. Thunder Beaste. Not sure who else. I have seen some of the threads here but the are not the most current. I doubt that I would shot the .338 w/o the suppressor so quick change is not important.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.
    Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

Have you had a chance to shoot a .338 with and without a can yet? I use a can on my .308 most of the time and it helps with recoil reduction, but that wasn't the case with the .338 I shot. Brakes are much more effective for .338 recoil reduction, in my opinion.

Wish I had a more informed opinion about specific cans to share with you and help make the call.

Comment

[quote]
      Have you had a chance to shoot a .338 with and without a can yet? I use a can on my .308 most of the time and it helps with recoil reduction, but that wasn't the case with the .338 I shot. Brakes are much more effective for .338 recoil reduction, in my opinion.

Wish I had a more informed opinion about specific cans to share with you and help make the call.[/b]
      I have not shot a .338. I want recoil reduction but also blast and noise reduction.

thanks for the info.
      Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

Comment

Check this video out. Cracked me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLMof4P8Hk

Comment

[quote]
          Check this video out. Cracked me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLMof4P8Hk[/b]

Can you imagine doing that with your gun? Nice demo but ,,,, Wow.

Comment

Great video! I posted that here on SP back when Jered first shot that video. I guess it's been a few years ago.
            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Is the purpose of the can for noise suppression or recoil reduction?

If noise suppression, Liberty or AAC or AWC or Surefire are all great cans but without subsonic ammo, your noise reduction will be minimal.
              If your intent is recoil suppression, then you are looking in the wrong direction. There are several really good brakes on the market for recoil reduction.

I have personally shot a. 338. It does not kick very hard, but then again, I shoot a. 300 Win Mag quite a bit also. If you are not used to shooting a large caliber weapon, you can develop a flinch very easily.

Hope this helps.
              In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

I've got a few more thoughts; I may have made assumptions about recoil reduction. If that's the intent, my recommendation for a brake stands. If you're looking for silent shooting, you'll still need ears with standard velocity 250 or 300gr .338 pills. If you go with subsonic ammo, you can get 180 to 220gr in .308 that's almost whisper quiet. Maybe that extra weight is critical to your application, but they'll all start dropping like rocks past 300yds.

Point of all that is to say if you want quiet, I'd go with a .30 cal. If you want recoil reduction on a .338, go with a brake.

Comment

I'll second that. If you want quiet then a can's the way. Otherwise put a brake on on it and run it like you stole it.

Seriously. As has been said before, there is no free lunch.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

[quote]
                    Is the purpose of the can for noise suppression or recoil reduction?

If noise suppression, Liberty or AAC or AWC or Surefire are all great cans but without subsonic ammo, your noise reduction will be minimal.
                    If your intent is recoil suppression, then you are looking in the wrong direction. There are several really good brakes on the market for recoil reduction.

I have personally shot a. 338. It does not kick very hard, but then again, I shoot a. 300 Win Mag quite a bit also. If you are not used to shooting a large caliber weapon, you can develop a flinch very easily.

Hope this helps.[/b]
                    I appreciate your input. Everything I have read indicated considerable recoil reduction using cans. This is my personal experience with my 6.5x47 and .308 using AAC Sandstorm.

I guess I am seeking both blast reduction (flash, concussion, and noise) as well as recoil. One of the manufactures sites (forget which one) indicates 50% reduction in felt recoil for a .338 Lapua with their can.

In another review the shooter indicated he was "able" to shoot the .338 with the can and without ear protection although he said he would do it as a high volume thing.

When I hunted years ago I shot .300 mags as a matter of course and a fair amount. I'm not particularly recoil shy, I just want to tame the beast a bit.

I say all this not to argue your point just to let you know where I'm coming from.

Thanks again.

Comment

You are correct on the recoil reduction with a can only if u are using subsonic ammo. You won't get much reduction with full power ammo.
                      Most companies cans will give u the desired results with the subsonic ammo. just remember, when using full power ammo, you will get a little bit not much recoil reduction
                      In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Over the years I've worked for several companies that built special rifles for warfare. A few years ago I work for a company that designed a .338 Lapua Mag. that was built solely for Military use. I worked with a host of companies that made suppressors. We found for both noise and recoil reduction the Ops. Inc. cans worked best.
                        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

[quote]
                          Over the years I've worked for several companies that built special rifles for warfare. A few years ago I work for a company that designed a .338 Lapua Mag. that was built solely for Military use. I worked with a host of companies that made suppressors. We found for both noise and recoil reduction the Ops. Inc. cans worked best.[/b]
                          They don't seem to make one for the .338. Did they in the past or on request?

Comment

My choise:
                            Aseutra SL7-BL
                            - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
                            Big Bore Club
                            Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

Working...
                            X