Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-Phos air dry or oven cure ?

Is K-phos air dry or oven cure?
    If it is an oven cure do you spray the GunKote on before or after you bake it ?
    I don't see a data sheet for the K-phos online.

I had some mixed results over the weekend with some matte dark earth gunkote.
    Most of the parts came out looking great. Coating had even color and bonded great.
    The receiver and the barrel had some issues. The coating on the receiver had some rough spots and comes off way to easy. The barrel has some spots where the coating looks thinner than others. I am going to blast and coat some of the parts again but this time I think I will use k-phos first.

[quote]
    Is K-phos air dry or oven cure?

Most of the parts came out looking great. Coating had even color and bonded great.
    The receiver and the barrel had some issues. The coating on the receiver had some rough spots and comes off way to easy. The barrel has some spots where the coating looks thinner than others. I am going to blast and coat some of the parts again but this time I think I will use k-phos first.[/b]
    Gunnutt,

The K-Phos is an air dry thermal cure system. Basically, you would spray the parts with K-Phos, let it dry for about 10-15 minutes, then spray the Gun Kote right over it. When you bake the Gun Kote, the K-Phos will cure to both the Gun Kote and the metal. If you like, send me your e-mail and I can send the Data Sheet over to you. As far as the receiver goes, did you blast the anodising first or just spray right over it? We are finding that some manufacturers are using a PTFE impregnation which is killing adhesion for coatings everywhere. The rough spray could just be a result of over-spray. As far as the barrel goes, it sounds like it was just a spray pattern issue. If you have not handled it too much, just spray right over the previous coating. Gun Kote adheres beautifully to itself.

I hope this info helps guys. Let me know.

Chris.
    Products Limited Only by Your Imagination...

Comment

I blasted it down to the bare metal. I am going to order a fresh can and try again.
      The dust cover , bolt , and bolt carrier look great. Scraped around on the bolt and couldn't scratch it. AK black is much easier to apply than dark earth. It is hard to tell how thick a coat you have with the dark earth - the black really stands out.
      Ira

[quote]
      <div class='quotemain'>Is K-phos air dry or oven cure?

The receiver and the barrel had some issues. The coating on the receiver had some rough spots and comes off way to easy. The barrel has some spots where the coating looks thinner than others. I am going to blast and coat some of the parts again but this time I think I will use k-phos first.[/b]
      Gunnutt,

The K-Phos is an air dry thermal cure system. Basically, you would spray the parts with K-Phos, let it dry for about 10-15 minutes, then spray the Gun Kote right over it. When you bake the Gun Kote, the K-Phos will cure to both the Gun Kote and the metal. If you like, send me your e-mail and I can send the Data Sheet over to you. As far as the receiver goes, did you blast the anodising first or just spray right over it? We are finding that some manufacturers are using a PTFE impregnation which is killing adhesion for coatings everywhere. The rough spray could just be a result of over-spray. As far as the barrel goes, it sounds like it was just a spray pattern issue. If you have not handled it too much, just spray right over the previous coating. Gun Kote adheres beautifully to itself.

I hope this info helps guys. Let me know.

Chris.
      [/b]

Comment

Working...
      X