X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True moa 1.047" Vs. SMOA 1" @ 100yds

True moa 1.047" Vs. SMOA 1" @ 100yds

Will Shooters MOA 1moa at 100yds make a difference when compared to True moa 1.047moa @ a 100yds?

The 0.047 does not seem to be a lot because at 1000yds that 0.047moa only equals 0.47moa. When in ranging or accumulative adjustment for elevation or windage that .047moa will affect the shot.

In ranging for example, looking through the MOA reticle a12moa item fits between the 4moa line. Now the formula says to take the Size in Inches and Divide it by the MOA x 100 = Distance in yards. So for what we have going on above 12moa ÷ 4moa = 3 x 100 = 300yds. Is this accurate? No it is not because we did not use the 1.047. To get an accurate reading you would need to take the 1.047 times it to the 4moa OR the 12moa. For this case I will multiply the 1.047moa to the 4moa to have it read in accurate MOA number. Now the formula will read 12moa ÷ 4.188moa = 2.865. Then 2.865 x 100 = 287yards. The difference of 13yds at this distance is not that big of a deal but the problem become very apparent at greater distances.

In elevation adjustment if you are shooting unknown distances it can be a problem. Example you have a 308 that you have not shot past 600yds and you have 100yds zero for the rifle. You range a target and it is 975yds you look at your Ballistics program and it says you need 36.25moa from your 100yds zero. Now if your clicks are in INCHES not MOA and you dialed in 36.25moa you'll be off by 1.7moa or 16.575moa.

I can be wrong but this is to the best of my knowledge.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
    mike@csgunworks.com

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks
    What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks
    What Do You Think Of Cs Gunworks?
    FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS.com
    CSTACTICAL.COM
    "The Straight Shooter of the Industry"
    916-670-1103
    Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

Thanks Mike, and that seems correct, just fix your one typo (the .47 should be .047).

[quote]
    . . . . The 0.047 does not seem to be a lot because at 1000yds it is only .47”. . . .[/b]
    This principle is a good example as to "why" one should always check field data with the gear to be applied. Many scopes will vary from true MOA and their come-up values will not always match your predictions or past expereince with differing equipment.
    Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Hey Ed,

I think he meant the accrued error would be .47 at 1k. 1.047 at 100 = 10.47 at 1000.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback. I fixed the wording does that help?

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
        mike@csgunworks.com
        CSTACTICAL.COM
        916-670-1103

Comment

[quote]
          Hey Ed,

I think he meant the accrued error would be .47 at 1k. 1.047 at 100 = 10.47 at 1000.[/b]
          Thanks Vince, yeah, I reckon I'm lagging a bit . . .

Good job Mike!
          Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Looks about right to me. Like mentioned you need to check each scope you get to make sure what reticle and adjustments you have. It definately becomes a problem with people having to use ballistic program data when they get true MOA results and dial it on a shooter MOA scope like mentioned.

Comment

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this post.

Mike @ CSGW
              CSTACTICAL.COM
              916-670-1103

Comment

Working...
              X