Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys sometimes feel like your scope is too bright?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys sometimes feel like your scope is too bright?

Do you guys sometimes feel like your scope is too bright?

A few years back I was looking through my spotting scope on a very bright day. While was looking through the scope my eye hurt because it was so bright. The next day I went out and got a Butler Creek cap and cut a hole into the cap and put it on the spotting scope so the next time I went out it would not be so bright. The next time I took it out I noticed something more than it not being so bright, the objects were easer to see, more colorful, and sharper. So I started doing this to my other optics like my riflescopes and noticed the same thing, object were definitely easer to see and sharper. I know the concept has been around forever for cameras. Does anyone else do what I do? If you do, let me know. Also if you have not done this before try it and let me know what you think.

Here is a pic of what I do. You can see my Nightforce with a rectangle cut into the objective cover ¾” by 1.5”. You can make any shape you would like I just use a rectangle. If you use a Butler Creek Cap you can open it up easer when you need more light in.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
    mike@csgunworks.com
    CSTACTICAL.COM
    "The Straight Shooter of the Industry"
    916-670-1103
    Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

I've seen the rectangle aperture stop like yours in pictures of a few sniper's scopes out in the sandbox. It would be interesting to compare a round aperture stop with a rectangular one like this. You might not be able to see any difference, but theoretically I think the round stop should be better.

Cheers,
    --Hawk
    There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

Well as usual the parrot "REBHAWK" is wrong again!!

I will give you a answer from experience not just pictures!!

Circle, square triangle whatever you will do will reduce the light!! Its so close to the lens it doesnt change your field of view. Will only decrease light and may for some people cause some blur. But never for me.

As for shape if you want to talk tactical then avoid the straight lines. Cause a professional in the field will tell you "Nothing in Nature has straight lines"

We use to use tape and cut it and place it on the scope then add rubber bands so we could add vegetation when stalking!!!

I am sure you have also seen this in pictures "rebhawk"

Hope this helps!!!

Comment

Tony:
        My comment about a circle being theoretically better had to do with the optics, not anything tactical. Note that I also said that you might not notice a difference in image sharpness between a rectangle and a circle. If you want me to get technical, a non circular aperture changes the point spread function of the incoming light waves, which will tend to cut down on resolution versus a circular aperture of the same area. Again, the difference might not even be noticable, but it is there.

I do know a thing or two about optics. I've been working with them for something like 25 years.

Regards,
        --Hawk
        There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

Well stick to telescopes and microscopes if thats what you know and quit spouting off about s*@t you have no clue about!!

If the light is a issue in your scope buy a Kill flash or put ladies nylons over the end that will do the same thing.

I have seen you talk many times about tactical stuff on scopes!!!

Comment

Man Tony, what got your panties in a wad? How come everytime somebody tries to help or make a comment. Somebody else tries to bash them.
            No reason to get upset about it.
            In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Hey Tony,

I would suggest refraining from personal attacks like that last "parrot" comment. Reb has more knowledge, theoretical and practical, about optics than probably anyone here. When he makes a suggestion or shares an idea, take it or leave it; just like everything else on this board. Sometimes a gem is discovered by someone who is not a cop or a sniper, doesn't mean it is wrong. I am pretty sure the DuPont chemist who came up with Kevlar was not a cop looking at protecting his 6 by coming up with something better than chain mail.

It is the sharing of ideas that makes me read this board, nobody here has the juice to MAKE me do anything. I read to learn, and sometimes poke a bit of fun at the people I talk with and respect; so my suggestion would be, get with the program or go somewhere else. Your ideas are not the only ones, but they may be good or bad also; we take what we want and leave what we believe we don't want or need.

But, try it without the name calling.... or try Tony's Complaint Page
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
              -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955

Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend. -NoFear Gear 1996

They do not teach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their jobs when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land
              -Rudyard Kipling in "The Sons of Martha" (a poem about warriors

Comment

Couldn't you just wear sunglasses on a bright day? On the rangethat works for me.

One question, arethe holes cut in the cover overthe lens used to reduce light into the scope, or to prevent the lens from reflecting light, and giving away your position?

James
                "Ever since I was a kid I've had snakes as pets. They're clean and quiet. You give them rodents and they give you pure, unconditional indifference." Carl Hiaasen

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

"War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner." ? Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Copinhell,

Just for the sake of clarity, the Dupont chemist who came up with Kevlar was a woman, Stephanie Kwolek.

Tony,

Please leave the personal attacks at the 'hide. Here if you have a question about someones post, ask them, there are a lot of technical experts on this sight from biology to optics who never served as a sniper in the military or as a LEO, and having a degree in chemistry I now know that some of the things I learned in the Army about chemical and nuclear weapons were wrong. Please remember that you are an ambassador for your profession and your service, and that your words will exist here in cyberspace for a very long time.

Jimro
                  "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

Can't we all just get along!
                    Respectfully,

Carlos

"90% of life is just showing up and doing the work"

Comment

Hmmm, I work for the federal government, did you notice my lack of gender specificity? Good tidbit to know, and thanks.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                      -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955

Here, hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend. -NoFear Gear 1996

They do not teach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their jobs when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land
                      -Rudyard Kipling in "The Sons of Martha" (a poem about warriors

Comment

I find here comprehension, knowledge, experiment and intelligence, I thank you adore you for each one of your answer PS: this is a strictly platonic declaration of love
                        " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Anyway, back on topic here, Reb, correct me if I am wrong, but based on the size of the hole that would also decrease the focal length of the scope wouldn't it? Meaning the closest thing you could normally focus on would become closer?
                          CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
                          --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                          --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Copinhell,

Yeah, I noticed the lack of gender reference, what irked me a little is that there really is a name behind the research. I know the guys in the field couldn't care less about who invented kevlar, but then again, it represents someones time and energy.

Stephanie Kwolek's discovery has saved literally thousands of lives, and I think that she deserves a bit more recognition. Of course as a chemistry geek, I'm probably just a little biased.

Anyways, since today is International Women's Day (pure coincidence), we have recognized the unique contribution of Stephanie Kwolek to society. There I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Jimro
                            "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

Thanks guy for the replies, please let this be about the subject at hand. If we all give our feedback we just might come up with something better I hope. Anyone that knows optics I’m sure can offer insight to this to this concept.

I used a round hole at the beginning but at times it was just easer to cut a rectangle out especially for flimsy rubber. I will have to compare the rectangle to a round hole now but as I recall it did not make a difference. I have doing this for a few years and I know I preferred the rectangle to the round, but I do not remember why.

JasMck:
                              “Couldn't you just wear sunglasses on a bright day?” You can use sunglasses but it was still bright in the scope what can cause viewing problem like distortion. The fist time I did this was for a spotting scope because I had to take off my sunglasses to put my eye up to the eyepiece to see. I like the way the image looked though the spotting scope so I decided to try it on my riflescopes and I like the image I saw with it on the scope.

“One question, are the holes cut in the cover over the lens used to reduce light into the scope, or to prevent the lens from reflecting light, and giving away your position?” The Idea was to reduce the light but it also acts as a killflash.

Mike @ CSGW
                              CSTACTICAL.COM
                              "The Straight Shooter of the Industry"
                              916-670-1103
                              Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

Comment

Working...
                              X