Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASC Match

Hey Folks,

A couple weeks ago I did a train up for the Allegheny Sniper challenge. First, thanks to Ed Shell for assisting me through the train up. Ed, as most of you know has been training with me for the past year or more. Between Ed Shell and Shep they will take over all my training.

Now, back to the train up! It takes place in Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. Rod Hansen and his partner John, as well John's son Brock run the match. Rod, had asked me back in May about doing the train up. I have been wanting to get up there for years but my health or training would never let me get away. With much far out planning I made it up there.

I can't begin to tell you how beautiful place this was. The match takes place on a farm that is just under 2000 acres. At an elevation of 3020 feet above sea level. With room to shoot out to 2400 yards this place is amazing. I have never been anywhere as nice as this farm.

We had 25 shooters that took the course. You could not have asked for a better bunch of folks. Being a one day class it was tough trying to figure out what was the best content to put fourth. I decide with Ed's help, to start with Marksmanship, then mil reading and finish up with wind reading. From all the feed back it most have been the right choice for the train up. Everyone seemed to really enjoy and get a lot out of the training .

During the Marksmanship training, we found.......as always .......ill fitting equipment. Mostly stocks that were to short (length of pull) and no check piece. It was truly amazing to see how much better folks shot after adjusting some of the stocks ( some had no adjustments at all).

The equipment these guys had was unreal. Everything you see in the gun rags and on line. The best of the best so to say. Very nice rifles and scopes.

Because of my health I could not stay and watch the match. I just can't walk much anymore at all. However, John took me on a "Mule" 4x4 up to the top of the mountain so I could see everything. ( All my friends told me not to take that ride but you know me) bullheaded me decide to go with John to the top of the mountain. I paid for it for three days, afterwords.

Ed, brought me home on Sat. morning after the train up. I wanted to stay but I couldn't. I couldn't help but wonder why folks wouldn't help me put together matches like this 20 years ago when I asked for help. Instead we put together the IBS 1000 yard club at Quantico.

I feel now we really missed out on some wonderful shooting........

Thanks, to Ed Shell I really appreciate your help buddy. I'm hoping after retirement I can get back up there and at least watch.

Thanks, to all that attended the train up!

Take care, Vern
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Vern

I have heard nothing but praise for the train-up. You and Ed did great.

Take care

Jerry

Comment

Sounds like a good time and a worthy cause, glad you took the time to do it.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Yeah, you guys know me. Ed and I donated a chuck of the money back to the match to help the guys.

Thanks, Jerry we had a great time. I will never forget the view from that mountain.

Yeah, John I thought of you when I was up on that mountain. I hope all is well in the land of Opium.

God Bless and take care, Vern

Comment

Vern, my mountains are pretty but yours aren't launch sites for Taliban 107mm rockets. So I'll take yours any day over mine!
          Glad you're still contributing to the shooting world even though you're "retired" officially.
          "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hey John,

Yeah, I hear ya but those mountains of your have a lot of history and they are very beautiful also. I just wish my old body wasn't so broke down. I'd be up there with you and JY.

God Bless you my friend and take care, Vern

Comment

Working...
            X