CVT July 2009 - Excellent Training!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVT July 2009 - Excellent Training!

Last month I had the privilege to do a one-on-one session with Vern. I have to say I came away with much new knowledge and experience. The training was a good experience all around. Above all... I made a lifelong friend and you know folks... that's what life is about. Vern and I are both Vietnam Vets and we spent some time talking about those days there when we were young and invincible. Good stuff.

Now... the training.

When I came to Vern's, I knew little about real long range precision shooting. I showed up with a rifle that was extremely accurate, but was not suited to the kind of shooting we would be doing over the next few days. Vern was so kind to let me use his Sako TRG.

I consider myself a pretty good shotgunner and 1911 pistolero, but when it came to this, I was pretty green. Vern got me squared away on the basics of ranging, wind, data cards, etc. quickly and we were ready to go to the range. We worked for quite awhile on basic markmanship at the 100 yard range and then moved on to ranging, wind reading, and shooting out to 900 yards. When we needed a break, we would get our 1911's out for some shooting. Then it was back to work. And while we are talking 1911's, I was having a little trouble with my grip safety after Wilson put their armor-tuff on and Vern took it apart, smoothed it out and it now works like a champ. Just the right amount of sensitivity. I use the gun for IDPA and CCW.

Thanks to Vern's suggestions and vendor recommendations, I was able to build up a new rifle almost right away. I used his "perfect practice" routine (called dry fire) for 2-3 weeks before actually shooting it. When I did take it to the range last weekend and started breaking in the new barrel, it just felt like an old friend. It shoots well and I'm going back down to Vern's in October for a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to that time. When you go to Vern's, he and his family make you feel right at home and part of the family. This is a pleasant change over some of the "sterile" environments that are so common in the training community these days.

Hey Vern... I'll be smoking up some Carolina Style pulled pork to bring down with me this time. You'll like it.

All and all... Vern's training is the best. Just look around this website. You'll see.

Thanks for reading this.

Charlie
    Dover, Delaware.

Welcome to SP Sir and thank you for your service. Vern is a very special American and a true patriot, he has trained so many of our brave young soldiers (many times at financial cost to himself) and kept them alive to come back to their family's. I also had the honor of training with Vern and spending time with him you realize afterwards that you learned a lot more than rifle shooting. You will find this site filled with a bunch of great guys who know a lot about just about everything. By the way nice choice on the 5R it's a helluva rifle.

Sam
    " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Hi Charlie, it's great to have you with us in Paradise!

You most definitely chose wisely and hit the training jackpot with Vern. The whole training from end to end is just chocked full of wisdom and experience, it's quite amazing what you take away from it. His family is the greatest and they really make it all possible by sharing their father and husband with us.
      America deserves to know her heroes!

Comment

Wow, thanks Charlie! Your too kind my friend. Sam, Nate thank you as well my friends. I've been turning folks away for training the last few weeks and it really hurts. I've been suggesting they go to Shep, where I know they will learn just as if they were here. I feel good about that, but it's still hurt to say no.

Pat, has made sure I say no. With home schooling Cody and other projects going on it's going to be impossible to keep up the pace. I will take in two students (if they have trained here before) a month until I just can't do it anymore. Everyone else I'll send to Shep.

Charlie, your right the best part of all the years of training folks is the great friends.........

Take care, Vern
        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

[quote]
          Wow, thanks Charlie! Your too kind my friend. Sam, Nate thank you as well my friends. I've been turning folks away for training the last few weeks and it really hurts. I've been suggesting they go to Shep, where I know they will learn just as if they were here. I feel good about that, but it's still hurt to say no.

Pat, has made sure I say no. With home schooling Cody and other projects going on it's going to be impossible to keep up the pace. I will take in two students (if they have trained here before) a month until I just can't do it anymore. Everyone else I'll send to Shep.

Charlie, your right the best part of all the years of training folks is the great friends.........

Take care, Vern[/b]

Thanks to all that replied to my post.

Vern- looking forward to October. I'll bring my Wilson for those times when our eyes are tired of looking through scopes. Have a good one and thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
          X