X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIND REFRESHER

Hey Folks,

I wanted to post a thread for those of you that have trained here at CVT and for the ones that can't make it. This will be a review of wind reading basics. First thing is our formula: Inches X wind speed / by 1 minute of our distance. We have to have a range card that breaks our wind down to 1 mph. So that it shows us how many inches our bullet will move for every 1 mph of wind speed. Here's link to a ballistic chart you can use. You can fill in the blanks but be sure to only use 1 mph of wind speed rather than 10 mph. http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/tr.../traj_card.html

Now it should look something like this: [attachment=10391:attachment_1.jpg] Now the one on the left is for 40 degrees and under. The one on right is any over 70 degrees. Remember these are just a starting place. Now notice the column that reads 1 mph wind. Now scroll down to 600 yards. Both cards say at 600 yards your bullet will move 3" (inches) for every 1 mph of wind speed. So if we have a wind speed of 5 mph all we do is multiply 3" x 5 mph= 15" So now we know our bullet will move 15 inches in a 5 mile per hour wind at 600 yards. Now we need to change this to moa so we can dial it in our scope. So we now need to divide our 15 inches by 1 minute of angle of our distance. Which 6" in 1 moa of 600 yards. Right? So 15"/ by 6= 2.5 moa. Now we dial 2.5 moa of wind in our scope depending on which direction it is and we are ready to shoot. Now we must always figure our wind as a full wind (either 3 to 9 or 9 to 3 o'clock) first. Then if our wind is a different direction we simply look at our rosette and multiply our formula by the cosign. Here's the rosette: [attachment=10392:wind_resette.jpg]

Now for an example we had a 5 mph wind at 600 yards and for a full wind we dialed 2.5 moa in our scope. Now lets say our wind was coming from 1:30 o'clock. We look at our rosette and the cosign is .707. Now just multiply 2.5 X .707= 1.7675 which is 1.75 moa which is 70% of a full wind value. So with a small plastic oil bottle, we fill it with baking powder and by pointing at our target and squeezing it we can tell exactly what direction the wind is coming from.

Now, first and for most we need to be able to read our natural wind indicators. Shocker!!!! Boys and girls there are no wind flags on the battle field. With that said we need to be able to read our indicators. Here is a good list EShell a great student and friend of mine put together: C.V.T. Wind Indicators

Tactile and Visual Indicators

0-1 MPH Wind imperceptible.
    No grass or leaf movement.
    Smoke rises straight up.
    Mirage runs vertical.

1-2 MPH Cooling effect of wind may be noticed.
    Light movement of grasses.
    Only a few leaves on any given tree in motion.
    Mirage begins to lean to 12:30.

3 MPH Wind pressure can be felt on bare arms.
    Grasses obviously in motion.
    All leaves on any given tree in light motion.
    Mirage leans to 1:00-1:30.

4 MPH Wind pressure can be felt on face.
    Small twigs bearing leaf clusters begin light motion.
    Mirage leans to 1:30-2:00.

5 MPH Tips of smaller branches begin motion that hold the leaf limbs.
    Mirage leans to 2:00-2:15.

6 MPH The trunk branches start to move. These are the heavy limbs holding the smaller branches.
    Mirage leans to 2:15-2:30.

7 MPH Larger (trunk) limbs begin motion.
    Young (softer) leaves begin to flip over on windy side of trees.
    Mirage leans to 2:30.

8 MPH Tree tops are in light motion.
    Mature leaves flip over on windy side of trees.
    Mirage leans to 2:45.

9 MPH Tree tops show obvious movement.
    Almost all leaves flip over.
    Mirage leans to 2:45-3:00 and begins to run.

10 MPH Wind pressure can be felt against the body.
    Tree tops show substantial movement.
    Mirage runs slowly and parallel to ground.

11 MPH Mirage runs quickly along the ground, begins to break up.

12 MPH Wind pressure can be felt against the body.
    Mirage runs very quickly in sheltered places, mostly broken up in exposed areas.

12-15 MPH Dust is raised.
    Lighter debris moves around.
    Mirage blows off completely in exposed areas.

15-20 MPH Dust clouds blow around.
    Debris blows around.
    Smaller tree trunks sway.
    Major limbs on larger trees in constant motion.

20+ MPH Difficulty walking.
    Larger tree trunks sway.

Now if we can learn to read our natural wind indicators at our muzzle, mid-range and at our target, we simply aggregate the speeds together as one. Example: at our muzzle the leaves on the bushes are all in motion=3 mph, mid-range they are in motion but the small limbs that hold the leaves are moving as well= 4 mph. At our target the wind is the same as mid-range=4 mph. So we call this a 3.6 mph wind. We added all the wind speeds and divide them by 3 (our muzzle=1 our mid-range=2 our target=3).

Now a good tool is the Kestrel 4000, not only will it read wind very accurately but it will give you temp, baro, humidity, altitude and density altitude. I want you to use this only to confirm your wind speed. You really need to able to read the wind by what you see and feel. NOW ONLY USE MIRAGE TO READ WIND DIRECTION. Why? Because wind speed can be very high but because of terrain it can be deflected and look like it's much slower.

With our plastic oiler bottle we can determine wind direction at the muzzle. Mid-range and at the target we will need to follow the direction of the mirage until it starts to boil. Example: If the mirage is flowing from left to right then follow it to the left until you see it boil straight up. This is the direction the wind is blowing from. If you use your spotting scope next to you, follow it until it boils then look at the target in relation to the spotting scope and this will tell you if it's 1 o'clock or whatever. Think of yourself sitting in the middle of the clock and the target always being 12 o'clock.

Lets review for a minute. Once we know our range of our target we find out how many inches our bullet will move for each mph. Then by using our natural wind indicators we determine our wind speed. Using our plastic bottle we determine our direction at the muzzle. With the spotting scope we determine wind speed and direction at mid-range and our target. We then take our inches X our mph= inch value now divide that by 1 moa of our distance and we have our moa wind value. If it's a full wind we can dial this into our scope, if not we determine our direction and apply our rosette cosign.

This is not something you will master in three or four days. It will take much practice. However, as EShell will tell you it works. I think all of the students here at CVT will tell it works real well. Wind drift is over 120 years old. It was used by Artillery folks for many years, as well as our Military marksmen. It wasn't until the mid sixties it fell to the wayside.

Congrats to Marc and Ed for winning and placing in the top five at the ASC match recently. You and the young folks did a great job. I'm very proud of each of you.

This is very hard to put on paper. Being able to show you what the leaves and trees are doing is pretty easy however, writing it is tough. I hope this review has help you and bring to mind some of what I've taught you. Like I've always said just because your not here doesn't mean the training has stopped. If you have questions you can always call.

God Bless America, flea
    Attached Files
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Thanks for the refresher, my friend.

Flea, you Da Man!!
    "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hey Brother,
      Outstanding as always...Thank you.
      Respectfully,
      Harry
      "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
      "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

+1. Never can learn or relearn/refresh too much
        In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Great job Vern!! Thank you for sharing this!

Lots of good info there!
          Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Thanks Very, you are "DA MAN!:

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Glad I could help my friends. I'm sorry I haven't been around as much as I'd like to be. I tried my best to make it sound like plain English. It ain't that easy for me.

If I can help with anything please let me know.

Take care, Vern

Comment

Pinned
                www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Thanks Vern you are the man. Going down to train with you was not only the best thing I ever did for my shooting but it was a true honor to get to spend the time with someone with your knowledge and experience. Can't wait to get back, take care.
                  " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

[quote]
                    Thanks Vern you are the man. Going down to train with you was not only the best thing I ever did for my shooting but it was a true honor to get to spend the time with someone with your knowledge and experience. Can't wait to get back, take care.[/b]
                    My sentiments exactly.
                    [quote]
                    . . . However, as EShell will tell you it works. I think all of the students here at CVT will tell it works real well. . . .[/b]
                    I've been meaning to write an AAR here on Vern's classes, but this might be as close as I can get. I've been shooting for over 40 years, and dabbling in long range precision since the early '80s. Wind has always been my nemesis. Sometimes my wind calls would make sense and work, other times wouldn't get me close. The boys on the 1k BR circuit just shrugged, and told me "well, that's why they give you sighters. . .", and so I just kept stumbling through it. I used a 6.5-300 Weatherby benchrest rifle built by Sid Goodling, slinging 140 SMKs at 3,400, to help hide my mistakes.

Marc & I were able to get Vern to spend two days with our kids, Dylan and Laura, in early June. The improvement was immediate and substantial on both counts. He helped both kids get past the limitations of their existing coaches (their dads) and really helped instill confidence in them both - half the battle. Marc and I then spent two different sessions with Vern ourselves, about two months apart, and learned many valuable things both times, coming away from the classes each time with a sense of gratitude and accomplishment that has stayed with me. Vern has helped me with my basic marksmanship and equipment, tightening up my groups and better yet, allowing me to shoot more consistently. His understanding of environmental conditions is amazing to me and his methods are solid and successful.

I had sent Vern an e-mail regarding my trip to Reade Range with a couple friends last Thursday and my careful use of what Vern had taught us about doping wind, mostly to thank him for his help.

Reade Range, PA is a reclaimed quarry and essentially a flat moonscape with few good wind indicators and full exposure to whatever is blowing. I shoot a 6.5-284 GAP with a NightForce 5.5-22x50, and am using Sierra 142s at about 2,975 with H4831SC and Fed 210 primers in prepped Norma brass. The load & rig is good for about 1/4 to 3/8 MOA, very heavy and quite easy to shoot well.

The wind Thursday blew from the left between 10 o'clock and 8 o'clock, at 2-3 mph, then to 4-5, then we got a little gusting to 7-8, and dropped off again, so it was an interesting day for wind. I used Vern's wind methods outlined above to make first round hits on an MGM 4" popper at 600, 700 and then 800 yards. At each distance, I made as many follow-up hits as I wanted to. I missed making it at 1k by less than 1" right, then shot 1" left, then hit it on my third and fourth shots - hard to tell how much was "me" and how much was judging/dialing error.

I was VERY happy with the first round hits, especially since the target width was only 4" and some of the wind went from 3-4 to 7-8, then back down. I picked the heaviest blow to figure, used Vern's formulas, dialed my dope and watched for it to roll back in. When I started to feel it pick up on my face, I let fly.

At 600 yards, the popper is .66 MOA wide, .5 MOA wide at 800 and .4 MOA wide at 1k. To be able to find a way to call wind closely enough to drop one in on it at 600 yards would have been satisfying as it is, but to repeat that at 700 and again at 800 was something I would not have thought possible. When I moved back to 1k, my first shot was so close, it was as good as a hit for my purposes, as was my second shot. My third & fourth shots were on the popper and the four shot group was probably not much bigger than the rifle and I are capable of, 6-8 MPH wind notwithstanding. Most notable was that I never moved my wind turret after my initial call, and landed 2 of 4 on the 4" wide target. It was hard to stop smiling and harder yet to act causal in front of my two witnesses.

To me, the single biggest part of this accomplishment was that I didn't have to "walk them in", as if I had the luxury of sighters. It was quite like shooting real world field conditions. I could flop down on the line, set up my gear and spend some time watching the wind, spend 5 more minutes with my data book and calculator and truly expect to land one within 1/4 MOA of my aiming point. Before my classes with Vern, I would not have thought this possible, let alone grow to expect to do it. . .

I shot an F-class match at Quantico on Sunday the 26 (5th place 468x10) and using Vern's formulas, my first sighter rounds were good with respect to windage, and I only had to change my elevation at 800 yards because I had changed my load. My 900 and 1k first round sighters were good both ways and were 10s or Xs. The wind was a light fishtail and I dropped my points due to missing wind changes, and knew most of them when I pulled the trigger and my concentration shifted from target & trigger back to the wind. Practice practice . . .

Hard for me not to recommend that anyone serious about long range should spend some time with Vern ASAP. IMHO, it is good training and time very well spent. The wind info above is just an example of the learning potential, and while the info above is difficult to come by and useful beyond price, it cannot replace actually shooting under Vern's supervision.
                    Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Nice write up Vern. Hoping to make it back out there one day.
                      Local 308, International Brotherhood of the Mil-Dot

Comment

Thanks Ed, I appreciate the write up my friend. Everyone that knows me knows I love training kids. Whether their 12 years old or 19 ....LOL or 45 years old. God I feel old tonight. Steve, you know your welcome at my fire anytime. Laura and Dylan
                        were such a pleasure to train with. It does my heart good to see young folks that shoot well. Especially when the basics came from their fathers or other family members. These kids never forget this training that comes from family.

I love training folks, especially when they get it.....Thanks everyone for giving me the opportunity to train with you, know you and to be your friend.

God Bless, Vern

Comment

Thanks Vern, I'm hoping to get out there sometime soon, right now just being able to glean this much should help...
                          I am a Patriot...First, Foremost, and Always... "Our Bill Of Rights is not negotiable. Not one single part, not ever. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the range." "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy pa?tri?ot?ism -(noun)- devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

Comment

Hi Dshai,

I'm looking forward to training with you. Remember we train everyday. There are no set days for training. When it's convenient for you just let me know. I need about 4 to 6 weeks lead time.

Take care, Vern

Comment

Thanks Flea for the wind refresher. I read a similar one in a book a couple of years back (although not as detailed). I loaned out the book and never saw it again. Posts like these are why I joined the site. I hope to take one of your classes next year, the mrs. already gave me the go ahead. Figures since I'm out of vacation time a work.

Comment

Working...
                              X