1800 plus yrd shooting at CVT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1800 plus yrd shooting at CVT

Well, I just got back from another trip down to CVT. I had been looking forward to spending some time with my good friend Vern and his wonderful family. My main focus during this trip was to really work on my wind reading. There is certainly no one better around to help you with this than Vern. His ability to break down the wind and show you what is happening to your bullet is truly remarkable. This was my first time at the new range. The new range really offers a lot of advantages over the farm, because I think that the wind is much more challenging. When you are shooting from one finger to another you really can have multiple winds to deal with. I really was trying to make a good wind call and get a first round hit on all targets. Even though I was unable to do this every time, Vern was right there to walk me through the decision I had made, and explain to me why my call was off. Although I'm just scratching the surface, I always feel like I'm walking away with so much more knowledge than I had before.
    Certainly one of the biggest highlights of the trip for me was when we stretched the legs on my 300WM out to a little over 1800yrds. This was the farthest I had ever shot before, and with the master in the spotting scope he guided me right into it. I was able to get these 5 shots onto a 10x17 steel target. I was certainly tickled by it. You can see that the hit on the right was bullet that must have skipped up into the target because it looks sideways. The hit in the center is actually two hits.
    Vern thank you again for a great trip and a ton of fun, I learned so much and look forward to getting down there again soon.

mike
    Attached Files

Good shootin, Mike.

Did that round skip into the target, or was it yawing/tumbling?
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Nice shooting!

Comment

Great shooting there, Vern is an awesome person to learn from.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Once again, it was great having you down. I felt like you learned more about the wind this trip than any other. Your marksmenships skills are very solid now and not having to worry about that really helps. You now can devote all your attention to wind reading.

Great shooting, the shots you made were very consistant and accurate. Great Job!

Shep,

Nope, he still had over 1000 fps pushing his 200 SMK. These bullets don't get squirrely until about 1940 yds. Like the design of the 175 gr. SMK with it's long boattail, it doesn't tumble. The 168 gr SMK was very bad for tumbling and keyholeing after 940 yds. The short fat design and shorter boat tail kills the 168 gr. On the other hand look at the 168 gr. TAP round with it's longer boattail it's very effective out to 1000 yds.

These longer boattail bullets will just keep flying. A lot of folks will say the 300 wm is not effective out past a mile. With 1000 fps and a 200 gr. SMK, just think about a 45 cal. pressed point blank to a target. HMM, still effective.

flea
          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Thats fantastic shooting. I can't wait till the homecoming to stretch the legs on my 300. I hope to get out farther than 1263yrds which I got out to last time.
            Its good to know that you were able to get out to 1800yrds comfortably.

Congrats
            In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Thanks guys, like I said I was very tickled. Correction though I was shooting the 200 SMK, not 190's but the the same point applies regarding the boattail. Don't forget also those shots were made possible by improved reloading tecniques, again from the master years ago. That load has a S/D of 1fps and an extreme spread of like 4 fps. Thanks again Vern.

mike

Comment

All I can say is.....wow! On the shooting, load data, everything. Great job, Mike!

Looks like I need to reserve a spot for some second stage training with the master. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Is that an IOR scope on that rifle?

Scott
                Scott Berish, Owner
                Liberty Optics LLC
                An Official Vendor of Sniper?s Paradise
                "See Better, Shoot Better"
                www.libertyoptics.com

Phone: 406-890-2714
                If no answer: 352-572-1469 (cell
                Fax: 763-431-5015
                Email: Scott@LibertyOptics.com

Secure snail mail payments:
                Liberty Optics
                PO Box 2554
                Kalispell MT 59903

Comment

Lakotah,

If you plan on getting out that far with your 300WM check to see ahead of time if you have enough elevation in your scope. It took me 81.25 minutes of elevation. That gun has a 33moa base on it and the straight 16x IOR has right around 100 minutes in it.

mike

Comment

Hey Scott,

Yep, Mike talked me out of my old 16X IOR, I had on my Gale McMillan 300wm rifle.

Scott, I'd like to thank you for all the help with getting my students their fine IOR scopes. They sure like dealing with you. You make it too easy, my friend. Great service and pricing.

Looking forward to having you up again this year.

Best regards, Vern

Comment

[quote]
                      Lakotah,

If you plan on getting out that far with your 300WM check to see ahead of time if you have enough elevation in your scope. It took me 81.25 minutes of elevation. That gun has a 33moa base on it and the straight 16x IOR has right around 100 minutes in it.

mike[/b]

I got 75 minutes plus I have a 30MOA base. So, I think I have plenty to get there, but if I get out to 1600yrds. that will be great. 1800 would be good, but I am not sure I'm ready for it, plus I am still shooting factory Federal. Maybe AB could go that far, but it remains to be seen. Thanks for the info Mike
                      In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

Mike, great job!! You have put a lot of work into your 300WM combination and it payed off. Glad to see you get out beyond 1000 yards. I could tell you were getting bored with the close range steel. See you at the range.

Later, Brad

Comment

Brad,

Welcome to paradise! Glad to see you made it over here. Thanks for the kind words. Look forward to seeing you at the range.

mike

Comment

I'd love to be able to shoot that well on 1500-2000 meter targets!

HOW MUCH DOES YOUR RIG WEIGH IN TOTAL, FULLY LOADED?
                            JACK) Shooter-Diver

Comment

Mikes rig weighs in at about 18.5 lbs. That's with bipod and loaded. Most important, it's balanced. This helps the rifle come straight back and enables the shooter to control the recoil so much better.

Shoot well, flea

Comment

Working...
                              X