Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of the ones local to me had it. Hence my trip to the pharmacy. That took care for the problem.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Question of the day:

What patches are you using? I am presently using Brownells bulk patches and I am having a hard time with bbl fit. I would also assume that you are using the Dewey jag that came with the rod?

If you could give me the brand and size. About out of the others so might as well order some that fit better.
      Local 308, International Brotherhood of the Mil-Dot

Comment

I use Sinclair 2 1/4 square and 2 inch round with the dewey jag. Wrap your patch around the jag do not try to push it through the center of the patch or your will probally get it stuck. I use the rounds for the Alchohol.

Where are you in indiana ?

Comment

I had Honey Gunz cut me a bunch out of open weave linen to fit my bore. Very excellent Patches!
          "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I use the flannel patches from Iron Bridgade Armory. The are the GI Oxbow patches.

They come in 3" only, so I cut 1/4" off one side and wrap them around my 30 cal. jag. It's pretty much all I've ever used. I do have some of the 2" round patches that I push down the bore, after alcohol.

flea
            "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

All-
              Thx for the answers

Comment

Thanks.

Bishop, way down south. Near the town of Santa Claus. Yes, Virginia, that is a real town.
                Local 308, International Brotherhood of the Mil-Dot

Comment

I thought you were to never pull a brush through only push it through. Am I wrong?

Comment

The only reason that ever came to be was because people have a tendency to pull crud into the trigger group or rifles that have a trigger group or to mess up the chamber by banging the brush into the edges and sides of it by going back and forth. To keep people that donít pay attention to detail from doing damage it was easier for instructors to tell people not to do it altogether.
                    Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
                    Thomas

Comment

You must use a good bore guide. One that protects the action as well as the chamber. Mike Lucas is the only one making such a bore guide. Nothing can get into the chamber or the trigger group by using his guide. His number is 803-356-0282. Crap like the one you get from Dewey, Stoney Point, or any of the other don't protect your chamber or trigger group.

Yes I push the brush through and pull it back. Your trying to losen the carbon and copper and the brush will need to work both ways.

If most quality barrels in a 308 will last 12,000 rounds certainly a bronze brush is not going to hurt the steel. After 50 years of clean barrel I've never worn one out by cleaning it. Nor have a destroyed the accuracy of one cleaning it.

Comment

(dukedurham)</div>
                        Where in the world do you get the 91% alcohol?[/b]
                        99.9% ISO alcohol is avail at Frye's.
                        Supporter, American Snipers

Comment

If the USP bore paste does not remove metal, how will it ruin the crown of the barrel. I believe you, just curious
                          Endeavor to Persevere)

Thomas Jefferson: "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master and deserves one. " Alexander Hamilton

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." S. Freud

In Proud Memory

Comment

Hi Tad,

The biggest reason I caution this is the fact that working that close to the crown is never a good idea. No, Sir US Bore paste will not remove metal however, many folks will use the technique but will use another paste. That's why I included it in the process.

Take care, Vern

Comment

Working...
                            X