X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Folks

Hi Folks,
    Thanks to Snip1er, I've had the opportunity to come on board as a SP Vendor and advertize my business.
    As many of ya'll know, I have been training FBI, DEA, State and local Law Enforcement, as well as civilians in the fine art of precision long range shooting since 1973. Finally, a few months back, I decided (with alot of help for my friends) to make this a real business. Just in the last two years, I have trained many of the members right here at Snipers Paradise. Soon, I will also have a website for Central Virginia Tactical.
    My Grand Father was a US Army rifle instructor back in WWII, so naturally when I turned 6 years old my Grand Dad had a rifle in my hands. Over the years, I learned MOA, how to dial in elevation and dope for windage. At the age of 10, I can remember picking off ground hogs at 500 yds from our old 1942 Jeep. With a 1903 Springfield and a 8X unertl scope, I honed my skills in long range shooting. All he ever asked was that I pass it on.
    At the age of 19, I joined the US Army and soon like so many others, found myself in Vietnam. At that time, there were no official sniper schools other than the (OJT) 2 week school put on by the 101ST Airborne Division and other units in country. While in Nam, I recieved word Grand Dad had passed away. It was the worst day in the 14 months I spent there. After Nam, I started training folks, trying to keep my word to my grand dad about passing it on.
    Seeking long range competition, to keep up my skills, I shot everything from Highpower matches to 1000 Yard Bench Rest(BR) matches in Williamsport, Pa. After many years of this, I decided in 1993, that I could do this in my home state of Virginia. So, with the help of a handful of friends I went to Quantico Marine Corps Base (MC, and started the International Benchrest Shooters Association (IBS) 1000 Yard Benchrest Club, where I became the first president and signed the first contract with the IBS. I went on to set several IBS records, including the first group record, three 10 match agg. records.
    After about five years, I got burnt out on the 1000 yd BR matches. While I still support them and I'm on a long range committee for the IBS, I felt like the classes were getting to be an equipment race. Not only that, but not enough shooting for me.
    More recently, I've been shooting T/R F-class. Most of us use tactical rifles and shoot prone from a bi-pod. It's shot with either 308 or 223 cals. 20 shots for record at 600 yds and 1000 yds. While this is not a tactical match, it still hones my skills with my tactical rifle and allows me to test the repeatability of my rifles.
    This gives you an idea of what I've been doing for the last 54 years. At the school I teach several classes, which can be customized to suit individual needs.
    The first is a Basic Precision Rifle Course. It entails about 2 hours of classroom instruction on mildots; how to break them down and the formulas used to range targets at unknown distances. Then, it's off to the range for some clean cold bore shots (CCBS), as well as cold bore shots (CBS). This give me a chance to study your position and either enhance it or correct it, if needed. The rest of the day is spent shooting groups; learning to repeat your accuracy shots one after the other. Also what I feel is most important, learning to make proper logs in you sniper data log book.
    The second day of this 2 day course is shooting unknown distances. Usually, about 8 hours of multiple targets (from 8 to 10 each) from 400 yds out to 1000 yds for 308's and further with larger caliber rifles.
    You will also learn about natural wind indicators, how to use them and the formulas needed to dial your dope in the scope.
    When you leave CVT, you will have a working knowledge of how to use your mildots , ranging unknown distances, reading the wind, dialing in your dope, taking the shot and logging everything in your sniper data book. These skills will help you whether your heading to the sand box or the next sniper competition.
    There are several advanced courses in precision rifle training along with customized training to include: Precision Reloading, Stalks, Ghillie Construction, and Counter Sniper Tactics just to name a few. If you would like to make an appointment, or talk about a custom training program, please give me a call.

<span style="color:red">$this->unconvert_size(36pt;line-height:100%">Central Virginia Tactical</span>
    19 Well Rd.
    Louisa, Va 23093
    540-967-7299 (after 5 pm EST)
    )

Thank you,
    Vern Harrison
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Well, let me be the first to say Congratulations Vern. Iím glad to see the official CVT advertisement as a Vendor up in Paradise. Folks Iím sure you have heard it before but you really need to get down and spend some time with Vern. If you walk away from spending time with him and you didnít learn something then you werenít paying attention. Regardless what level you are there is always something you can do to get better. I try to sneak down and see him as much as I can. More importantly then all of the things that I have learned from him, I really enjoy the wonderful bond that we have formed and how quickly we have become very good friends. He is a wonderful man with a wonderful family, and he has a tremendous amount of knowledge to offer. So do yourself a favor and get down there.

mike

Comment

Congratulations Vern!

I'll be up as soon as I can!
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Glad to see it official. I cannot wait for the first oppurtunity I get to come do some training. Let me see, where's that danged logbook?
        "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Hey Vern,
          Welcome aboard as a Vendor . If you have any questions our Vendor Liason Moderator can answer them for you. Congrats Bro. I'm glad to see CVT moving forward. With your knowledge and real world experience, I'm sure it will become the Premiere Training for Precision Riflery on the East Coast!
          Respectfully,
          Harry
          "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
          "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Bout time you got this up and running.

Tim
            "Everything which the enemy least expects will succeed the best."
            Frederick The Great

"They've got us surrounded again, those poor bastards." Colonel Creighton Abrams

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
            Gen George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Congradulations Vern! I'm definetely looking forward to learn from you.

Sergey

Comment

glad to hear you made it official! I'll tell you guys first hand I've been training with Flea for the past year now and he has helped my shooting skills immensely! I'm not the most patient person but Flea has taught me the benefits to taking time and learning patients and shown me the effects that it has on you and your shooting. Flea is a very patient and attentive instructor if your having problem with something he takes the time to explain it too you until you have a firm grasp of the concept. you will learn to engage targets at unknown distances and learn to judge these distances and conditions around you to make that perfect shot. you will also learn ballistics, proper cleaning methods and mathmatics that you will need and why that shot went were it did. On top of it all you get to spend some time with a really great guy and learn alot of history from him. I know my skills have improved 100% . Trust me you can't afford to pass up on this type of training if you can make it.

Dave
                DT20

Comment

EXCELLENT!!!!!!
                  Dave Bahde

Training is the key to survival, the harder you train, the more likely you are to survive!

Comment

Flea:

Congrats. Its about time you started making this official training. Like i said im going to try and make it down while im home in July. Depends if i have the time and available days to come on down. I got enough ammo and a great new rifle to get aquanauted with. Maybe you can help me get to know her.

Comment

Vern,

You know how proud I am to see you take this step. Success could not happen to a better man. Also - Happy Belated Birthday!

Best wishes,

Scott
                      Scott Berish, Owner
                      Liberty Optics LLC
                      An Official Vendor of Sniper?s Paradise
                      "See Better, Shoot Better"
                      www.libertyoptics.com

Phone: 406-890-2714
                      If no answer: 352-572-1469 (cell
                      Fax: 763-431-5015
                      Email: Scott@LibertyOptics.com

Secure snail mail payments:
                      Liberty Optics
                      PO Box 2554
                      Kalispell MT 59903

Comment

"Out-F#$&ing-Standing" Flea congratulations!!!!!!

DBCooper
                        ?Thought becomes action, if action is a result of thought, can action obtain the speed of thought??

Comment

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the kind words folks! This is the move I've been waiting for and Thomas helped me make it happen. Grace, helped me with business cards, letter head and the website, that should be up soon.
                          I was at Camp Butner this past weekend for a two day match. I handed out about 50 cards, got alot of interest for the training.

I want to thank everyone here at SP, for helping me along the way. I won't be able to walk in a few years, so this is a great way in stay in a good frame of mind until then.

Thanks, Vern
                          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

If you get a chance to work with Vern, you will come away with a wealth of knowledge. I think I've learned more in a year from him than I would have in 5-10 years on my own. Not to mention he's a great guy and instructor.

I am glad to see this come to pass (finally). He came to visit me in the hospital and when I saw the business card, it made my day.

Comment

Öand to think, another website ran Vern off because they didnít like his qualifications and didnít think he knew what he was talking about. Fortunate for the SP membership, we recognized his knowledgebase right out of the gates and worked to make him feel at home and keep him around. Vern has been busting his butt to help SP every since.

Vern, congratulations. I know itís a lot of work right now, but you have the support here. Anything the SP membership, Mods, or Admins can do to help is just a few keystrokes away.
                              Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
                              Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X