The 1st Annual Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1st Annual Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational

You are cordially invited to attend the First Annual Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational sponsored by Accurate Ordnance, LLC. This match will be held in Galax, Virginia and will be a three day event beginning with an optional train up day on Friday, April 20th. The match will begin on Saturday April 21st and conclude on Sunday, April 22nd. This will be a friendly match with a trophy as top prize. The entry fee is $125 and will include a match t-shirt and dinner on Saturday night (rest assured we will eat well). The optional train-up day is $50 and will require an additional 50 rounds of ammunition.

Required equipment:
    Scoped rifle chambered in 30 caliber magnum or smaller capable of engaging targets out to 1200 yards, 200 rounds of ammunition, laser rangefinder, eye and ear protection. You will also need an optic that has a ranging reticle; this can be a spotting scope, binos or your rifle scope.

Optional equipment:
    Most any gear you want to bring will be acceptable, just keep in mind that you will have to carry your gear around the farm to and from shooting positions. Slings to support off-hand and positional shooting are strongly encouraged. Spotting scopes, bino’s, calculators, pda’s, kestrels, bipods, shooting sticks, knee pads, elbow pads, etc. Snivel gear including rain gear, warm weather gear, toilet paper (no bathrooms on the farm), sunscreen, food and water, etc. Weather can be unpredictable so be prepared for everything. We will shoot the match regardless of the weather conditions baring any dangerous conditions such and severe lightning.

The train-up:
    The train-up will include a class on wind reading, range estimation, positional shooting, and using a sling. An additional 50 rounds of ammo will be necessary for the train-up. The training will be conducted by Vern Harrison, Jonathan O’Neal, and Mike Bowers.

Vern "Flea" Harrison is a former United States Army Sniper and Vietnam Veteran. He is also a world record setting benchrest rifleman, founder and first president of the Virginia IBS Benchrest Shooters 1000 Yard Club. For more than 30 years Vern has instructed US military snipers and designated marksmen, federal, state and local law enforcement officers, and private security contractors. He is a globally renowned long range rifle instructor and is known in the precision rifle community as the one of the best wind reading instructors in the world!!

Jonathan O’Neal is a member of the All Guard National Service Rifle Team and has 15 years of instructor experience. He is a high-master class shooter and is an expert in traditional positional shooting including the use of a sling. He has held multiple national records and is dedicated to the promotion of the shooting sports and its members.

Mike Bowers was born and raised in the mountains of South Western Virginia. His Dad passed on the basic skills of marksmanship early on in Mike’s life. With a very strong passion for long range shooting Mike searched for everything he could get his hands on about long range precision shooting and applied his learning in real world application. Several, years ago while at an ASC match he met Vern Harrison of Central Virginia Tactical while Vern was instructing the train up. Mike approached Vern about coming to CVT to train with him and Vern explained that he was retiring and just could not help him. However, by the end of the day Vern had watched Mike and decided he wanted to help him build on his long range skills and invited Mike to train with him. After a year of continuing to work with Mike, Vern invited him to come to CVT to take his instructors course. This is an opportunity that Vern does not offer very often. Vern has only awarded seven instructor certifications in over 35 years of instructing precision shooters. Vern felt Mike would make an excellent instructor based on his skills and willingness to apply what he learns while shooting and unwavering desire share his knowledge with other shooters.

RSVP:
    There are a limited number of slots available for this match and they will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Please email eyan AT windstream DOT net if you would like to secure a slot in the match no later than 5 pm on March 12th. Please also provide your shirt size and inform us if you plan to attend the train up on Friday April 20th in your email response. Once the roster is finalized there will be an email sent out informing you of the match roster and final match details. This will include course of fire details and match agenda. This email will also include payment deadline and the address to send payment to. We have secured a hotel at a rate of $50.00 per night for a room with 2 double beds. There will also be primitive camping available. By primitive we mean bring your own tent and toilet paper. More details about the hotel location will be sent out with the confirmation emails.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Sweet. I'll have to see if I can get the time off. Bad time though, I'm in the middle of a major installation project with a German colleague.

Sounds like fun.

Folks, if you're on the bubble, take the train up day. A chance to train with Vern should not be passed up. If I can get there, I'm going to.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

#@!$&* #$&%!

WTF! I can't freaking win!

The Spring 2012 Rendezvous is the weekend of the KY Derby, so I am screwed there!

The First Annual Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational is the weekend of the National Instructors Conference, so once again I am F$#!@%

Sorry for the rant, but that makes me 0 for 2 in terms of being able to attend what will be two of the most OUTSTANDING shooting opportunities in 2012.

Best of Luck to those of you who can attend,
      M Richardson
      "Old School" US Army 1986 - 1994
      Just Cause - Panama / Desert Storm - Persian Gulf / Restore Hope - Somalia

Currently doing something that involves a Disaster, Fire, Guns, or Medical Emergency!

Comment

Sorry Mike, actually I had little to do with the match. I shot it last year when it was called the "Cracker Neck Sniper Match". It was a great match. The farm it's shot on is amazing.

By the way Mike, my offer still stands.

Best of luck guys, Vern
        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

For the folks that made it out to this match, it went great! Mike Bowers and I did a wind reading and mil reading classes on Friday for about 26 folks. Lots of shooters Sat. and Sun. I didn't get to see much of the match. My feet and legs blew up with fluid and I couldn't get my boots on. This heart deal is bugging me.

Sunday, I went up to barn when they were handing out the plaques. Everyone said it was great. I took lots of pictures with everyone. The high light of the match was meeting Capt. Husky and Bobby Keagan (SP). Great guys. I've been trying to catch up with Capt. Husky for 12 to 15 years now. He's a great guy and a real Ga. treasure.

Comment

Outstanding! I was up at Accurate Ordnance yesterday and they were talking about you and the match. Showed me some pics.
            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Yeah, I explained to everyone I was not responsible for camera damage.

Comment

Working...
              X