This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bipod Sling"

I want to share a technique that is working pretty well for me.

When I shoot prone at my local range, I put my mat down on concrete. Unfortunately, this does not give me a non-slip surface to properly pre-load the bipod.

What I ended up doing is running a piece of paracord through a tie-down point on the center of the shooting mat. I added loop on either end of the cord that slip over the bipod feet. The length of the cord is adjusted so that the bipod coes to rest at the end of the mat. I'm calling this a "Bipod Sling"

The bipod sling lets me put as much forward pressure / preload on the bipod as I wish without any slipping. Since I am shooting from concrete, I adjust the length of the string to keep the bipod on the padded mat.

--Rootshot

p.s. The mat is a Galati mat, and the anchor point is an open channel though which the elastic fastener that secures the rifle at the grip runs through.
    "But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!" Friedrich Nietzsche, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Chapter 29

thanks for sharing rootshot
    " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good thing to try rootshot. Might have to try that myself.
      Local 308, International Brotherhood of the Mil-Dot

Comment

now theres a good idea i suffer from the same problem when shooting on sand and mud...concrete?...what is this new material
        The future of man is unknowen, Unless you try to rob a gun store with a machete in which case your future is certin...Your gonna get your dumb a$$ shot!

one weekend in the bush sorts out months of crap from the city.

Comment

Fine Idea Rootshot. Sounds good to me, and can be left in place. Two thumbs up.
          "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Neat idea, I always have the slippage problem. Some put the bipod feet off the end of the mat on whatever surface they're on, but at matches it's usually grass/dirt, uneven, and often puts the muzzle too low to line up on the target.
            I'll definitely try this, thanks!
            "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hey Brother,
              Very cool ! I really like simple and inexpensive ideas that work. Pinned for posterity...
              Respectfully,
              Harry
              "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
              "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Bump, because this would have came in handy today. I'm sure when recon215 gets home and on the board, he will bring us all up to date.
                Local 308, International Brotherhood of the Mil-Dot

Comment

Up to date? Ok, RS must be talking about what I told him today about bipod issues? I was told that a piece of carpet under the bipod on the dirt helps to keep it on the same plane every shot or to try using a frisbee to keep it at the same level as well. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to. Yes guys, myself and RS got together again today to shoot a few rounds and break in my new pistol. This new batch of ammo shoots great groups at 100 but the fps seem low to me. They were running around 2660 avg for 5 rounds.

Comment

Couldn't you run a piece of paracord back to an attachment point on the toe of the stock, or even to a loop that you slip onto your support-side palm while you're managing the squeeze bag? Has anyone tried that, so it's more repeatable than adjusting it each time for your mat's setup? Maybe I'm missing something, but in my mind, if you did it this way, it wouldn't matter what mat you're using, or even (to some extent) what the terrain is like. It could be a pre-measured length that is always the same.

-Nathan

Comment

your idea of the loop onto free hand while squeaseing the rear bag could work i'll try it anyway to find out but the paracord to a anchor point on the rifle isn't going to stop the rifle sliding foward it's just going to hold the bipod legs open.

unless i'm at the range (concrete) i work the legs into the ground a bit to stop them from slipping foward
                      The future of man is unknowen, Unless you try to rob a gun store with a machete in which case your future is certin...Your gonna get your dumb a$$ shot!

one weekend in the bush sorts out months of crap from the city.

Comment

I get it - the point is to help stabilize your body to the rifle, more than keep the rifle in the same position. Yeah, then it makes sense. I want to try it as well, but I don't have any paracord at the moment... I'll make something up and try it. Let me know how it works for you.

-Nathan

Comment

First post, I've use something with a similar principle for well over a decade.

With two front sling posts, the bipod is attached to the front one, the sling to the second and to the post near the toe of the stock. The sling length is adjusted so it cannot touch the ground when the rifle is resting on the bipod and rear bag. The non-shooting hand gets slipped between the stock and sling, then reaches back to where it can be used for squeezing the rear bag. When the prone position is complete, the non-shoot elbow rests suspended off the ground by the sling, and the upper body's full weight us supported by the sling.

This allows the bipod to be preloaded as desired, eliminates bipod hop, and allows the shooter to pick up trace and impact through the riflescope. It may also allow the body's mass to act on the rifle in a manner which might reduce perceived recoil.

Care should be taken to remove any projections of the rear/lower stock that would cause the stock to hang up in the rear bag, and some talcum on the bag may also help. Moving the rear sling post from the bottom if the stock to the side could eliminate it from hanging the stock up on the bag.

I did not originate this technique, and I have been informed that it is also used in some military advanced marksmanship courses.

Greg

Comment

Nice first post, GWL. Welcome to Paradise!
                            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

The shooting mat I have from US Tactical Supply already has this integrated into it.

-
                              Formerly known as N15

Comment

Working...
                              X