Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbeat

Hi Folks,

I've recently started shooting offhand again with the heavy-barreled .22.

Practice right now involves shooting 1/4" twigs at 25 yards.

I also got an actual 1907 sling to use instead of wrapping up a standard carry sling. It works very nicely.

One problem I'm running into now, however, is my heartbeat. I can slow it to 65-72 bpm but not much slower. Shooting between beats is a challenge.

Is this just a matter of more practice for better timing, or are there tricks that can be used?

Thank you,

Josh

What kind of physical conditioning do you do? When I retired from the Army back in 2001, I was running between 4-6miles damn near 7 days a week... when I took my exit physical, the Doctor asked me if I do a ot of running... I said I do and asked why he wanted to know... he said I had a really slow resting heart rate...of course I can't remember what it was... but just maybe conditioning and cardio will help lower your resting heart rate... just a thought.
    In God We Trust, All Others Make Bond.

Comment

How old are you and what physical condition? Your resting pulse sounds normal for most people, typically only athletes will have resting pulse rates below 60, and your resting pulse rises with age no matter your physical condition. About three years ago when I was in my top condition I was in the mid-50's, hopefully I will get back to that this year.

Comment

Hello,

I've really let myself go, to be honest. That's one thing that entered into my mind -- I need to get out and run again. I get out and fish sometimes, which does help due to the hikes I go on to get to my favorite locations, but I work 60 to 80 hours per week and it's hard to find time for regular exercise.

I thought there might be some trick for lowering the heartbeat -- like staring at green grass to relax the eyes, or shooting at NRP. If there's not, then I'll have to "resort" to finding time to get my body back to what it needs to be.

Thanks, guys.

Regards,

Josh

Comment

Since you don't have a lot of time, and I feel you on that, I would suggest doing strength training coupled with anerobic (short, less than 10 minutes, often less than 5) conditioning. I think you could see some serious gains in how you feel just from 45 mins to an hour 3x week. Doing strength training with eating right will also increase your muscle mass which should show up in how steady you are. I am a part time athletic trainer so if you want any help let me know.

Comment

Yep, getting in shape is your best bet. I'll be 45YOA this year and my resting heart rate is 52 beats/minute.
            www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have lots of muscle mass, strong core. At 18 I was 6'2", 210lbs, wore 33/32 jeans. Any leaner and I'd have been too skinny. (Charts say 180 or 190lbs for that height, but my build is just that much more.)

I'm hoping that in toning the muscle, I can get a decent cardiac workout simply because there's so much of it. I used to practice Aikido, and would love to find a place to train. Unfortunately, however, the local dojos closed and I can't find my old teacher (he was a former Army Ranger; this was not pure Aikido.)

If I don't have any real time to work out, I definitely don't have time to train anyone to work out with!

I'll find a way. Even if it's hiking in the woods (which used to do for aerobic exercise; more long hunting than hiking) I'll figure something out.

Thanks!

Josh

Comment

Working...
              X