Wind and Angles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind and Angles

This might be making things too complex or over-thinking things, but the wind help thread that is pinned above got me thinking about a lot of things. One would be making wind calls with angled shots. Using the formula that was provided by Mr. Flea in the afore mentioned thread;

"wind drift for range at 1mph x actual wind speed / 1 MOA at distance "

...which measurement would go into the "1 MOA distance," the MOA derived before the range was changed with the slope effect, or before, when it was ranged with your reticle. I guess the number could change drastically depending on angle, and that number would play into the final wind solution as it changed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    ?Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    General James Mattis, USMC

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
    Yagyu Munenori

"A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by."
    John Wayne

You always figure out your wind value based on a Full Value (FV) wind, that is, a wind from 9 or 3 o'clock. You'll get an answer in MOA.

Then you will look at a Wind Rosette and decide which direction the wind is coming from. That directions will have a value of .5, .707 or .866. You will take your MOA answer and multiply by one of these 3 values, whichever is appropriate. That answer will be the MOA correction you dial into your scope (or hold off). If your using mils, multiply the answer by .296 to get your mil correction.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
      You always figure out your wind value based on a Full Value (FV) wind, that is, a wind from 9 or 3 o'clock. You'll get an answer in MOA.

Then you will look at a Wind Rosette and decide which direction the wind is coming from. That directions will have a value of .5, .707 or .866. You will take your MOA answer and multiply by one of these 3 values, whichever is appropriate. That answer will be the MOA correction you dial into your scope (or hold off). If your using mils, multiply the answer by .296 to get your mil correction.[/b]
      Yes sir, but what happens when you're shooting uphill or downhill? Do you use the oroginal range elevation in minutes as derived through reticle estimation, or use the new range elevation in minutes after you accounted for the slope of the shot? I guess I'm just unsure if the slope matters in wind call.

A flat shot will be dialed different when slope is accounted for, and that 1 MOA constant will be a different number that will be put into the wind call formula. See what I'm saying?

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
      Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

[quote]
        <div class='quotemain'>You always figure out your wind value based on a Full Value (FV) wind, that is, a wind from 9 or 3 o'clock. You'll get an answer in MOA.

Then you will look at a Wind Rosette and decide which direction the wind is coming from. That directions will have a value of .5, .707 or .866. You will take your MOA answer and multiply by one of these 3 values, whichever is appropriate. That answer will be the MOA correction you dial into your scope (or hold off). If your using mils, multiply the answer by .296 to get your mil correction.[/b]
        Yes sir, but what happens when you're shooting uphill or downhill? Do you use the oroginal range elevation in minutes as derived through reticle estimation, or use the new range elevation in minutes after you accounted for the slope of the shot? I guess I'm just unsure if the slope matters in wind call.

A flat shot will be dialed different when slope is accounted for, and that 1 MOA constant will be a different number that will be put into the wind call formula. See what I'm saying?
        [/b]
        Now I'm off my phone, let me see if I can set up an example. So let's say we are on a hill and our target was at 600 yards with a 30 degree slope. If I'm not mistaken, that will come out as 0.866 multiplied by 600 equaling 519. I then dial in for 519 yards in my elevation instead of 600.

Now I move on to my wind call. Do I use 3" for 600 yards or do I use the implied wind value for 519 yards for the slope conversion? If it were a flat shot it would come out as;

3 (inches at 600 yards at 1 MPH x 8 (actual wind speed) / 6 (MOA at 600 yards) = 4 MOA of wind correction

If I used the distance converted for slope I would get;

2 inches (appx for 519yds) x 8 (actual wind speed) / 5.19 (MOA at 519 yards) = 3.08 MOA of wind correction.

See where I'm coming from? Depending on what set of values I use, I can be anywhere from 15 to 24 inches off on this wind call.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

You are confusing two different formulae. Slope has nothing to do with wind.

1. Use the angle cosine to figure out your distance.

2. Then use the wind formula to figure out your wind dope for the original, unadjusted slope distance.

3. Shoot

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Spent all weekend in the field doing some exercises and wanted to try this out. Saturday was pretty windy and cold for this area, (30-45 degrees with 15-20MPH winds with the occasional gust of 25-30. Really tried to work on the formula Flea gave in the pinned wind thread and found that to be extremely helpful. This morning was slotted to be our slope time but the wind had all but disappeared. Maybe next time.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

I was down your way shooting all weekend. Yep, it was a bit nasty Saturday, but great weather on Sunday.

Comment

The flags just south of Perry were standing straight out and the tip was flippin hard
                "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Just the tip, though.

Calmed down much more on Sunday. We ran out to 1990yds with 3 different rifles.

Comment

[quote]
                    I was down your way shooting all weekend. Yep, it was a bit nasty Saturday, but great weather on Sunday.[/b]
                    Any time you need someone to tote gear or pull targets in trade for knowledge, hit me up!

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

[quote]
                      Just the tip, though.

Calmed down much more on Sunday. We ran out to 1990yds with 3 different rifles.[/b]
                      Big boys?

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

2 different .300WM's and a .338 Lapua.

Comment

[quote]
                          2 different .300WM's and a .338 Lapua.[/b]
                          You guys are pushing .300WM's out that far? Wow

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

With the right rifle, load, optic and shooter........yep. Sigma05 on here has done it as well

Comment

Yea...I think it was a solid 2 with 6 mph gusts ...did you go to the Hackathorn thing in Newton...that was this weekend?
                              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Working...
                              X