What do I look at?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I look at?

I have been searching this forum for quite awhile trying to find the answer to my question without embarrassing my self but I can't so I will.

When shooting iron sights, I focus on the front sight so the target and rear sight are fuzzy (out of focus).

Isn't wasn't that long ago that I discovered focusing the scope's reticle and focusing the target image via parallax knob. So with the reticle and target image in focus, what am I focused on, the cross hairs or target image?
    Here?s to cheating, stealing, and drinking. If you must cheat, then cheat death. If you must steal then steal a young girl?s heart. And if you must drink then have a drink with me.

You're not focusing on one or the other. Since your parallax adjustment puts both images (reticle and target) in the same plane, you are seeing both at the exact same spot.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Keep in mind, the parallax knob isn't to focus the target, although it can. The parallax is to put the reticle in the same plane as the target. So if your head moves around on the stock, the target doesn't move relative to the reticle. You don't adjust for clarity per se, you adjust until you can move your eye around and the reticle stays in the same place on the target.
      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Aim small, miss small...
        "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
        "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

No, Harry! Aim small, shoot small!
          "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Thank you Vince for teaching me something new. I got to paraphrase your comments and educate someone else today because I did a little research to find out about what parallax actually was.
            "No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!"

Comment

Glad to be of assistance.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I made the same observation as BoneFish when setting up my scope and shooting. I set the parallax knob to infinity, aimed at the sky and adjusted the focus knob until the crosshairs were in focus. Should I leave the focus knob alone when aiming at a target and finding the target out of focus? I noticed that I could bring both the target and crosshairs into focus with the parallax knob. I moved my head around and did not notice a shift in the crosshairs on target, but we are only talking about 300 yards. I also noticed the range marks on the parallax knob were not close to the actual range I was shooting when everything was in focus. Should I ignore the range marks on the parallax knob? I am not use to high dollar equipment like the Nightforce I bought, i have been using $200 scopes to date. i am a little embarassed to say I shoot better with my Bushnell fixed power 10X scope.
                MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

7Ring, sounds like you're right on the money. If you have properly focused your scope like you described, you should only have to use the parallax knob to bring your crosshairs and target into focus.

Don't pay attention to the distance marks on the parallax adjustment...........just turn it until things are clear. I've never seen a scope, at any price, where the marks on the parallax adjustment knob corresponded to any true distances.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Thank you CMShoot!
                    MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

CM Shoot...........We are not worthy........
                      XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
                      Retired Deputy Sheriff
                      SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

Ain't nuttin' but a thang..........if I can do it, a monkey can do it.........and I ain't talkin' 'bout one of those smarter n' hell goin'-up-in-space monkeys that NASA used.......I'm talkin' about the plain ol' monkeys at the zoo that fling poo at my daughter...........

Comment

We are Farmers is a No Go?
                          XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
                          Retired Deputy Sheriff
                          SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

I have to be as smart as a monkey? Jeez! That explains why I can't figure this out.

Comment

It's still more than just bringing it into focus. Both the crosshair and the target need to be on the same focal plane. Regardless, if it's 100 yards or 1000 yards and everything in between. Once your crosshairs are on the target you need to adjust all the parallax out. Move you head from side to side without moving the rifle. The crosshair should not move.
                              "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

Working...
                              X