Cold Weather Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Practice

OK, it's finally getting cold. The windchill will be sub zero here by morning, but gotta work. It's been a while since it's been chilly enough to get out and get useful data and practice, but this afternoon was good enough. Let's hear and see what everyone's been up to in the winter climes....

RIFLE: Remington M700 Milspec
    BARREL: Factory 24", 5R 1:11.25" twist barrel
    SCOPE: Nightforce 5.5-22x56
    RINGS/BASES: Badger 20MOA
    BRASS: Lapua
    POWDER: RL15
    BULLET: Sierra 175gr Match King
    CHARGE: 43.0 grains * (slightly above max in some manuals)
    PRIMER: PMC-R
    OAL: 2.835"

TEMP: 23*F
    WIND: 3-8 NNW
    SKY: Overcast
    PRECIP: Light snow

100 yards, 5 shots, 175 SMK, .457"

200 yards, 5 shots, 175 SMK, .849"

100 yards, 3 hsots, 110 Vmax & H322, .305"

I tossed in some dry fire from sitting to make things interesting. The swirling snow made for entertaining wind reads. Yes, M700s are still a b1tch to fill the internal mag rapidly or well when using gloves. As noted in other posts, winter clothing can affect contact points and consistency. I'd practiced enough with my scoped slug gun recently plus a few other rifles to negate any major issues with that, but it sure helps to fine tune each piece. The Gunners gear rear bag worked perfectly, and the ammo wallet HG made was VERY nice to use when the snow was flying - just flip the tri-fold over, and it's tidy and dry. All in all, a good day at the range.

I shoot all year at 600 yards for practice. Will shoot this Sunday with forecasted snow showers and wind chills in the teens. No problem. Just wear the right stuff. I like Under Armor when it gets really cold. I'm 62 years old, you young bucks shouldn't have any excuses. Lol.

Comment

70 deg. yesterday swaten skeeters. We ( the preacher & I ) baptised Moses yesterday.

I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
      "Dogs best friend"
      "Every dog needs a friend"
      "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
      "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
      " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
      " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
      (All the above, Yours Truly
      The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Yep, 70 degrees out here too. Good job JJ, I'm waiting on that stock, then it's game on.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

When the temp gets that low, I try not to let outdoor air touch my skin. I send my daughter to the mailbox.
          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

We tend to go out when ever we can... This is Celsius-scale though - so this would be the absolute 0.

Nah - it was only -27'C/-16'F that day. Try to guess if my gloves liked that aluminium bolt knob.
            Attached Files
            - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
            Big Bore Club
            Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

Good job JJ. I hate cold weather but everyone knows that. I often think of JY when it's so cold here. You know he's freezing his go-nads off in Korea.
              "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

[quote]
                Good job JJ. I hate cold weather but everyone knows that. I often think of JY when it's so cold here. You know he's freezing his go-nads off in Korea.[/b]
                Very true Vern, I figured he'd be getting all the OJT he could handle over there. Probably not many beach umbrellas and fruity drinks this time of year.

Kosanderi, that's Friggin COLD! I lost part of my nose 20 years ago in weather like that. Brutal. Shep, you and Bo crack me up!

Vince I'm over at the Chicken Man farm tonight...gonna try to score a doe in the AM with Jeff and Logan.

18*F and dropping......

Comment

I'll deer hunt in the cold, but that's about it.
                  www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Good luck JJ.
                    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Comment

Couple of loose translations:
                      "It's not cold if your piss is still liquid when it hit's the ground!"
                      - Unnamed drill instructor

"Well, it beats staying at home..."
                      - Old saying

Back to the range after 2 weeks. Thought ahead it wouldn't be the best trip... I assumed that the road to targets(@ 200m) might not be cleared and noone had walked the path up to 500 m, but when I got there I found out that even the parking place was blocked. I got this far and I was going to go shooting. After a quick thought I decided to take the targets and just shoot few groups at 100m with AR-10. Since it is a silhoutte range there are always fixed metal targets to shoot at in 300, 400 and 500 meters. Unless they were all covered in snow. Luckily the ram in 500 meters was visible.

After I got everything set up I took the first picture(Is it already evening?). It was little after noon so time to start shooting. Temp -9'C/16'F. That and other data you can check on the picture. Last time I was on range with this gun I had a sound suppressor attached and I was shooting at 200m. Now I had this muzzlebreak that I did about 4 months ago and the targets were only 100 meters away. I took those 14 1/4 MOA clicks down, shot the first group and hoped for the best. Have to say I was bit amazed when the first round hit that target. Shot 4 after it and got the group at top left. I have to test if it really doesn't shift the impact more than that. So, No need to touch the turrets yet. Shot couple of groups more - and for the rest of the ammo I had I used to "take the snow of that ram". So all in all - quite a nice day after all...
                      Attached Files
                      - Greetings, Kosanderi

Finnish Sniper Guild
                      Big Bore Club
                      Toiminta-ampujat

Comment

Well, good and not so good. First, I saw these characters out n about the day prior to the hunt. They posed nicely, and I would've liked to have had a higher resolution camera, but:

The morning of the hunt was 15*F but light wind. This was the 'Late Season Antlerless Only' hunt (slug guns, muzzle loaders, &/or pistols). I had MISPLACED my mickey mouse boots, and in typical senior moment fashion, found them in the afternoon in an unexpected place. We left the cabin at sunrise, Jeff and I were moving slow. I saw two does before getting 100 yards from the cabin, but they were 300 yards out behind some trees and moving away. I bumped up two more in a creek bottom, but they were gone in the gloom. I heard a 'pop' not 10 minutes later and thought my bud had pegged one in close with his pistol. Nuttin doing - MISFIRE on his muzzle loader. I ended up seeing seven total, but all were moving fast and out of range.

I went over to my farm next, about 10 miles west, but only saw 5 turkeys - no deer - during a brief walkabout.

After running by the house for lunch, I met up with my buddy Steve three counties to the south. He is a wildlife officer and has some buds who farm a huge tract of land that is overwhelmed with deer. They asked for some help with doe elimination. The deer typically come out just before dark on a reliable basis, so we slipped down an old railroad bed into place in a treeline overgrown with cane. It was 32*F but the wind was strong and swirling into the field. He had a H&R 20 gauge slug gun loaded with Hornady polymer tipped sabots. I was using my M40A12 (gauge) H&R single shot Slugster with a 3.3-10x Nikon set in Millet rings. I call her 'Butt Ugly' for the paint job, but that's an uber-reliable performer out to 200 yards using Federal Premium 3/4 ounce Barnes sabots. It's zeroed on the junction of the upper duplex/ crosshair at 100 yards which puts the 150 yard zero dead on the center crosshairs, and the lower duplex junction with the crosshair centered at 200 yards. Simple and utterly reliable.

I was prone-over-pack in the field edge, Steve was sitting-over-sticks to my right. Ten minutes after we got in place, the whole hillside to our front was lit up with turkeys...cackles, clucks, putts, squabbles - you name it. DOZENS of birds all along the slope. About 30 minutes after we got set, 5 does filtered out of the woods to our left front. Since Steve had only just gotten his gun zeroed the week prior out to 100, he was up first. He declined, and said he'd try to video with his cell phone. I picked out the big 'point doe' and lasered her at 99 yards, quartering to us. I turned to Steve, pointed to my temple, and mouthed "head shot" to him. He smiled and nodded. When the doe had settled and was browsing with her head and neck straight down, I sent one across the cut corn field. I could see the result through the scope as she collapsed straight down. The other four does jumped and trotted away, not having a clue where the shot came from. Steve leaned up as I lasered the nearest one at 80 yards. He blew a 20 gauge sabot through her lungs. She bucked and circled to our front, then hobbled straight toward us, collapsing only 25 yards away. We still had three does and a young buck in the field in easy range, but we only were allowed one tag apiece due to state regs which base the number solely on the number of car vs deer crashes in each county.

Steve was apparently looking too intently at his video, as he asked, "Did you miss that first one? I didn't see her go down." I replied, @%^& *(*&^, she's the one laying over there with a HOLE IN HER HEAD ! His shot had done exactly as expected and ventilated both sides of the chest cavity. He tagged his and we walked over to inspect mine. The round impacted about an inch forward of her left ear base and exited just below and behind her right ear - severing the brain stem and flipping the switch. Steve left his gear and hiked out to get the truck while I tagged mine and drug both deer out (mostly downhill )The landowner showed up after I drug the deer over to the road and was field dressing them. He was happy to have his herd shaved down slightly. He will be checking on obtaining lots of crop damage tags this Spring...heh, heh, heh. Not bad for a 40 minute hunt !

Vince and Hanley can expect more yummolicious roast venison when they come down to coyote hunt !

Comment

Oh yeah, you know I love the venison roast. That is outstanding grub!

Comment

Working...
                          X