This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Bags, An Article

Any rifle case can be a drag bag by attaching a hand loop and possibly a method to connect a line or "leash" to allow it to be dragged behind you in a hands free method. The results are not the ideal drag bag, but it will be functional for awhile until it's civilian roots betray it and the hard stress and strain of hard use destroys it.

This article is about two purpose built drag bags, the two basic designs from which many copies have sprung. These are Eagle bags, they are not new out of the package items but have been used for a few years in the field for what they were intended to do...get you and your weapon in and out of of a hostile AO...and getting the heck outta Dodge as fast a possible at times. Both have their own pluses and minuses, the first described is the most basic, actually an improved version of the bag described in FM 23-10. The second a more spacious and protective bag.

The first bag is a simple envelope design improved from the one in FM 23-10 by making weapon access better and adding more features The front of the bag has runs of 550 cord to attach ghillie material or to attach extra items. The rear has runs of nylon tape to act as skid plates and slow wear A drag loop is included along with three D rings, two visable and the third under the drag loop. These D rings are used to attach a pack harness,, lash the bag to a ruck, or attach a "leash"

CONTINUED BELOW (please do not post reply until last section of article is posted...thanks)
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Part 2

The interior has three pockets at the front for the placement of the weapons muzzle and a bungie at the weapons pistol grip to secure the weapon. There is also a nylon patch to accept ALICE clip equipt pouches on the right side near the muzzle, toward the butt is loops for ammunition and on the left a pouck for log books or what ever. Here's a view with a weapon secured

The simple design serves well by being easy to lash to a ruck. It protects the weapon well during the final approach to the FFP, with the hand loop placing part of the bag on the forearm while crawling. The minus is it does not carry much more than the weapon and a few small items.

CONTINUED BELOW
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

part 3

The larger bag can carry much of the gear needed for the actual objective of the mission, the observation, identification and engagement of the target(s).
      This bag is airborne capable, loops are sewn along both sides of the main closure and on the rear of the "nose cone". . These are used by lacing 550 cord through and across to keep the bag closed if the main zipper "splits" during a rough landing or handling keeping the weapons secure and protected.

CONTINUED BELOW

Comment

Part 4

The rear of the bag has runs of nylon tape, again to aid its slidding and for wear protection. Also there are two velcro closed pockets that contain the pack harness. One contains the actual padded shoulder straps the other the lower straps. Here's a view with the shoulder harness deployed for carry The harness itself can be changed for either muzzle up(as in this photo) or muzzle down carry.

CONTINUED BELOW

Comment

Part 5

The "nose cone" aids the movement of the bag through close cover and tight vegitation. Attached to it is a hand loop for dragging and a snap loop to attach a "leash". The "nose cone' also has the nylon tape for slidding and wear Behind the "nose cone" on the bag body is a hand loop, this one places the bag on the forearm for better control while low crawling

CONTINUED BELOW

Comment

Part 6

To carry more gear there are two pockets on the front of the bag. The large front pocket has securing straps inside to secure optics from moving, such as spotting scopes, binos and such. The smaller rear pocket has room for log books, maps or what ever.
            The flat nylon rectangle shaped patches on pockets are for the attachment of netting with ghillie material attached.

CONTINUED BELOW

Comment

Part 7 and final section

The interior has two securing straps for the weapon. A large pocket for ammuntion, maintainance gear, or what ever. And a long pouch with a snap closed flap for a one piece cleaning rod.

The large bag is a very versitile bag, padding and load carrying capabilities are superior to the simple bag. This bag is airborne certified and will handle any rough insertion when the best protection is needed. Where the AO is going to eat you and your gear up, this is the bag for you. It is a little harder to handle when lashed to a ruck, but the pro is there and more gear used at the FFP can be packed. For general transportation it can't be beat, there are "low profile" covers available for discrete carry if you require this.

I hope this helps you to make a better choice in the proper bag that will fill your needs. Both these Eagle bags are mil spec and are IR treated and rugged beyond belief. Copies may or may not have all the features of these two bags, but they may fill your bill if you use it to haul the "beast" to and from the range with no real in field use. . You do get what you pay for, buy the best once, buy a "bargain" a few times, take your pick.

If I can help further please ask.

Take care...Jim

Please ignor typos, spelling and grammar errors...Thank you

Comment

<_<

Comment

Thanks. I was looking at the Eagle systems. Its great to talk to someone who has used them and knows what he's talking about
                  www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Good article. Very informative. :smoke:

Comment

Can the large bag double as a shooting mat as well?

Comment

You can use it as a mat, but the stuff in the pockets will be under you. This bag is not really designed as a bag/mat.
                        Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
                        Thomas

Comment

Jim, GREAT article, GREAT pictures, you're the

Comment

Thomas is correct about the large bag not being a good mat...I think a lot of producers add that feature to the product after it's done...hmmmm...looks like a bed...er...a mat, yeah, that'll sell I myself like to keep the bag closed relying on the skids on a ghillie or elbow knee pads when in BDU/DCU for comfort. If after that first shot people get very angry and start counter fire in the form of big, bad @ss arty rounds, I don't want to have to fold up, stow gear , and what ever involved in getting my "mat" back to carrying my gear I prefer grabbing a handle and getting the heck outta Dodge right now Anything that slows displacement sux

One thing I forgot to mention about the large. A good many operators are removing the foam from the Hardigg cases and using the shell to contain the SWS in the large bag. This makes your system forklift proof during deployments, and your specialized gear is all togather packed in the DB and ready to go once you reach your jump off point to the AO. This should work with most of the larger sized hard shell cases. I know of one individual who uses an antique looking safari case with the green duck cover the same way, lol, nonames will be mentioned... he's gotta loose the pith helmet though and the freakin' bugle :errr:

Take care...Jim

Comment

Excellent info.!! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X