Chinese/North Korean M-91 sniper's ammo pouch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese/North Korean M-91 sniper's ammo pouch

In a previous article we mentioned that much Korean War era weapons and equipment were either Japanese or based on Japanese items. We mentioned that we had a Chinese made ammo pouch used by a sniper equipped with a M-91/30 sniper rifle with a PU optic. Well we looked through our collection and found the pouch!

The Chinese 7.62X54R ammo pouch is based on the Japanese WWII made issue pouch. Made of leather it's design is identical with one exception, the angle between the front and rear wall of the pouch is greater to accommodate the very sharply tapered 7.62X54R cartridge. We imagine, but are not certain, that this pouch was a general issue item not just a sniper specific item. We have only one pouch from the issued set of two front, seems something happened to the left handed pouch and it was damaged to much to save. Each pouch held 40 rounds in 8 charger clips, 4 chargers per section, sections separated by a thick leather divider.

Front view. top opens from rear and hinges to the front..
    1.JPG

Rear view with two simple belt loops fitting the normal Chinese style web belt or similar leather..
    2.JPG

End vie showing shape and angle of the front and rear walls...
    3.jpg

Interior view showing divider...
    4.JPG

We hope you found this short addition informative and interesting!

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin

Last edited by JY; 08-09-2016, 07:11 PM.
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Neat stuff.
    I'd imagine the leather Japanese stuff didn't last too long in some of the tropical jungle areas in the Pacific Theater.
    "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hi John;

You got that right, their leather goods were well made but the tropics did get to them bad. Later in the war the Japanese started making their gear out of rubberized canvas to try to make it last in the wet hot climate. BUT leather items are still around here in NE Asia, I have a couple Japanese Type 30 bayonets with the leather frogs and they are still string and serviceable. The pouch in this article was made probably in 1950 in China and supplied to the North Korean KPA. The sniper it came from was KPA, the other pouch and the belt were pretty messed up, so we have one.

Take care brother...Jim & Soo-jin
      "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

LOL. Leather in Asia sucks. I took over the SeaBee armory in Okinawa, I learned more about mildew than I ever knew one could know. Holy crap, that even eats canvas webbing!

Great pics, thanks Jim. Love the articles on gear and patches. Never got to see a lot of that, or have it expained.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
        X