Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KOEVOET and other mementos ..Dit is Afrika broer!...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOEVOET and other mementos ..Dit is Afrika broer!...

From 1966 through 1989 "The Border War" raged through southern Africa against communist guerrillas in South Africa, South West Africa and into Angola to destroy Cuban Forces there. The war was a proxy war instigated by, ready for it? The USA and fought on it's behalf. The US had active fighters in the area from the CIA and Special Operations, during this time US SF also operated in the Congo but that is another story...what! The media told you nothing, wow, Probably did not tell you The Republic Of South Africa was also a nuclear power with nuclear weapons or it's big ally was Israel another nuclear power..go figure, not telling you. The National Security Act restrictions have run out on a lot of operations the media never talked about so things may get a bit shocking as they emerge. Keep a stiff upper lip, the wars are a many fought in the shadows. many lies and half truths will shake you up a bit if you believe all that has been said about Suid Afrika, seems history re writes abound to pave the way for a communist ANC take over the PR thing to do.

During the Border War a SWA (South West Africa) Police unit was formed of trackers and pursuit constables made up of both white and black constables..what a mixed unit in apartheid souther Afrika? Uh, you bet your last dollar, most in the police and military WERE , ...you mean they lived, ate, and died together, side by side...YES.. The umit was called Koevoet which translates to crowbar. The main enemy fought was SWAPO, South West Africa Peoples Organization a communist terrorist army, among others. Enough background, suffice to say nothing much of the truth has been told about the war there.

Here are a few mementos from that distant war in the shadows where the super powers backed the warriors, Soviet, Cuban, USA and other troops advised and took part in this conflict. It was one of the things that kept nuclear war out of history during that time...I suppose nobody said a thing about this in the media? it was a world war confined to southern Afrika with all the major players in the background, a war for all the natural resources located there.

The "Beneath the Visiting Moon" by Jim Hooper is highly recommended reading for anyone interested in this curious war and details the operation of the KOEVOET/the shoulder flashes are KOEVOET unit insignia from this period as worn on the nutria coloured battle dress shirts of South Africa and SWA. they are as follows from upper right around clock wise.: SWA Koevoet sizava Z4N; SWA Kavango Ruvadi Z4D Koevoet; Koevoet Z14; Koevoet Z1J; Koevoet SA POL-Tin. Kavango; SAP Special Gun Unit (snipers); SWAPO Scorpion Bn; SWA army 101 BN N0.2 Scorpion Company;
    DSC00031.JPG

A second look at the flashes:
    DSC00032.JPG

Here some regular Army units involved in the combat.
    from top left: 5 Recce Unit; 44 Para Bn SADF; 32 Bn SADF (elite mixed race infantry Bn); bottom L to r: 51 Bn. SADF; SWA Army sector 20.
    DSC00033.JPG
    these are classified company flashes, I will let you figure them out each represents a different company in a Bn, should be easy for Common Wealth folks...
    DSC00034.JPG

We hope you found this informative and of interest. these old mementos figure into some of "The Blind Mice" history too. if you have any South African items you need an ID on let us know , we can probably help you out.

Dit is Afrika broer!...Jim & Soo-jin...TIA to you Rooinekke
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Nice. Thanks for sharing buddy!

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

When I got out of the military in late 1975 I came *this* close to going to Africa to do "Ranch Security" work or to hook up with one of the groups doing counter-terror ops.
      Decided to go to college and enter law enforcement instead.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Working...
      X