DMZ IMJIN SCOUTs playin' poker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMZ IMJIN SCOUTs playin' poker

Here are a couple items from the 2ID during the late 1960's to not to long ago. just little things that were part of everyday in the DMZ...a deck of poker cards and a pocket badge...small pieces from history from the quiet war that never ends, the forgotten war...
    1.JPG

The pocket badge was worn by "The Imjin Scouts", this one was local made in the Paju/Munson-ni area near Charley Block. These were part of the DMZ police, a misnomer as all were actually infantry soldiers not MPs...
    4.JPG

The deck of cards were issued by the 2ID and was a recognition deck illustrating North Korean military vehicles and weapons in use...
    2.JPG

A closer look at the cards and the recognition illustrations...
    3.JPG

The card deck was meant to help the infantryman identify what equipment he was observing, sometimes at very close range. So cards used this way are nothing new, the Saddam deck was just one in a long line of decks issued by the US Army.

We hope you find these two items interesting, strange the things you find saved in your footlocker, nothing special just a small piece of history from the last of the US Army Infantry on the DMZ, the 2ID.

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin on the Frontlines, Paju, ROK, Freedom's Frontier
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Nice. Very nice pieces of history. I keep finding little things. Some mean quite a bit.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
    X