Israel Defense Forces Sniper combat vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Defense Forces Sniper combat vest

One of the most famous and distinctive pieces of gear used by the IDF is their combat vest, the "EPHOD KRAV" used by the IDF since the adoption of the M-16 rifle. The originals were rather basic and generic in pouches for general issue. Today the RPHOD has developed into user specific such as M-203 gunner, "Officer", Engineer and sniper versions. Also usually include a "helmet case" in the form of a small attached pack above the normal "butt pack". During a recent tour in Israel I ran into all varieties of the EPHOD, all are well made in heavy nylon and rather comfortable.

The subject of this short article is an issue "sniper" version of the EPHOD. This is a genuine issue item, not the copies sold by "surplus stores" you may find online. The vest is IDF marked and issued as is all the other items shown with the LBE rig. ALL IDF items will be marked with the Hebrew letter txaddi the first letter of Zhal of the IDF markings, all gear, pouches, canteens, map protractors, flashlight...all gear. if it doesn't it isn't Kosher lol. It is now a valued part of my collection.

Here is an overall photo of the EPHOD...All pouches are mounted on a wide padded wqaist belt and padded shoulder harness. pouches are closed by Velcro and numerous attaching straps and loops are included. The vest is closed by two clip buckles and there is a sternum strap to hold the shoulder harness in position.
    DSC00002.JPG

here is the left side panel that includes from left to right: Magazine pouch for two M-16 and Tavor magazines, utility pouch the has a large section and a smaller flat section inside.,Canteen pouch with canteen, butt pack with a small utility pouch and flash bang pouch on it's flap and a second canteen pouch. Above the butt pack under the helmet case is a rope pouch containing a coiled length of utility rope, under the butt pack is a knife scabbaed/carrier for the IDF combat knife. Also seen on the left shoulder strap are two smoke/flash bang .pouches.
    DSC00003.JPG

The right panel is a repeat of the left. the right shoulder strap has a small utility pouch, both have D rings and flat sewn nylon attachment straps.

DSC00004.JPG

The contents of the left utility pouch on my EPHOD contains a pair of issue 6X30 bino's, a grid map and a "Pakal Kissim" pouch with an issue IDF map protractor.
    DSC00006.JPG

ARTICLE CONTINUES IN NEXT POST, please no comments until final post is added, thank you.
    Last edited by JY; 10-20-2015, 03:57 PM.
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

PART TWO, IDF EPHOD:

In the small utility pouch on the side of the left magazine pouch I carry a automatic knife...
    DSC00007.JPG

A close up of the rope pouch shown open here. The rope is a real BEAR to get into this pouch. The method is a military secret! And they issue the rope separate not inside lol. Very entertaining watching the recruits struggling to get it right.
    DSC00008.JPG

The issue IDF canteen, note the IDF markings and ownership mark.
    DSC00009.JPG

Some of the contents of the right utility pouch include a small packal with weapons and optic cleaning tools.
    DSC00010.JPG

ARTICLE CONTINOUS BELOW.
    Last edited by JY; 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM.
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

The right magazine pouch. in it's rear side pouch I carry a DET-500 demolition multi-tool.
      DSC00011.JPG

In the front a compass.
      DSC00012.JPG

The right shoulder strap has a small utility pouch attached, inside usually is a "pakal kissim," with a wound dressing as shown here.
      DSC00020.JPG

Close up of the issue wound dressing, note IDF ownership mark.
      DSC00021.JPG

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Comment

As I said above ALL issue IDF items are marked, this is the label of my EPHOD it is a size large.
        DSC00022.JPG

This photo shows a few of the items in the EPHOD. It include a MS 2000 strobe , DET-600, map, protractor, compass and Surefire M-2 combat light.
        DSC00026.JPG

Also shown here is an issue M-4/Tavor sling inside the end pocket are snap hooks that attach to paracord loops attached the the weapon, inside the one run of the sling is a small pouch for ear plugs, a very simple but useful sling.
        DSC00029.JPG

I hope this was informative and interesting to you all. Be very careful if you try to buy an EPOD, there are mainly commercial reproductions on the market, some made by contractors most made in china. If no tags, or just a maker tag inside it's not an issue item, ALL are expensive so be careful guys.

take care...Jim & Soo-jin on the frontlines, Paju, ROK, Freedom's Frontier..."Hey Dutch, can I have that lady officer jacket in the Israeli duffle bag? it fits..."
        Last edited by JY; 10-20-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Interesting rig.
          As I recall, Israel was one of the first armies to field a pouch based combat harness that actually worked. Most everything since then is just a copy.
          "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hi John;

Yep, along with Rhodesia and South Africa. Little known fact Israel and South Africa consulted on a lot of military projects in military hardware and gear. South Africa license builds the GALIL rifle and uses IDF Kevlar helmets...we will not go into the nuclear program, but rumor has it the South African nukes went to Israel LOL, only 4 ways to get an issue IDF vest is to get it issued, midnight requisition, black market, or from a vet.

Take care, friend...Jim & Soo-jin

Comment

Very cool, Brother...
              "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
              "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

SShhhhh, Jim...don't mention the SA/Israel connections!!
                "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Nice. Very nice.
                  "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
                  X