Mementos from the Korean War Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mementos from the Korean War Part 1

The Korean War has gone on for six decades now, it has gone very hot to warm. During the 1st Korean War China came to the aid of the North Koreans, this included actual troops and also supplies. I have served a very long time in Korea, an "Old Korean Hand". Over the years I have come across a lot of interesting military items and present here two such items. Though mundane and common to all soldiers these two illustrate the Chinese aid to North Korea.

The first is a People's Volunteer Army web belt buckle worn by the Chinese PVA that crossed the Yalu River to fight with North Korea against the UN Forces. Shown here with a cloth tag of the Peoples Volunteer Army to it's upper left. This cloth tag was worn over the left pocket. On it's reverse side the soldiers name, number and unit are written in a form of ID Tag.

DSC00003.JPG

Here, a close up view of the PVA buckles front plate.
    DSC00004.JPG

Here the bacl showing the lock up and end of belt lock. A bit different than a US buckle.
    DSC00006.JPG

Here tha markings showing this buckle was made in early 1953.
    DSC00005.JPG

This and the following buckle were worn on a plain greenish/tan web belt very similar to the US trouser belts with brass tip. Both types were in common use well into the 1960's by the KPA and Chinese forces in Korea .

Up next a North Korean KPA belt buckle supplied by China as military aid.

We hope you find these relics of the Korean War interesting.

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Part 2: The North Korean KPA web belt buckle. This buckle was made in China, much like a lot of KPA uniform items even to this day and supplied to North Korea in the form of military aid. It is a much simpler design yjam the 1st and a copy of the US roller type buckle.

The front of the buckle, this one was field worn and the face is rough, I thought it added "character" to it showing it's use in combat.
    DSC00007.JPG

The back is again similar to the US roller buckle.
    DSC00008.JPG

The markings are on the back with the North Korean markings at the top and the Chinese maker and date marks below.
    DSC00009.JPG

We hope you enjoyed and found interesting these two item from our collection!

"A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Neat stuff, Jim.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Thanks John, we like to wear a PVA buckle with jeans LOL! Kids look at it, but none realize what it is When we go to China, they notice and we get smiles, got a few drinks too

Take care, friend...Jim & Soo-jin
        Last edited by JY; 05-15-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I had a few of my Afghan guards who wore Red Star belt buckles. They weren't "issued" but I let them do it anyway.
          "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Hi John;

Actually Chinese stars are yellow now, on one of our trips to China recently a friend gave us "Hunter Unit" (Chinese Special Forces) camou field caps as souvenirs , yep yellow stars with wreath, LOL! No mo Mao red stars Same colour as the 5 Stars on the Chinese flag

Comment

Nice. You have access to some neat history Jim. Keep it coming!

Vince
              "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
              X