ROK ARMY MOUNTAIN COMOUFLAGED BDU JACKET, HISTORY "WE GO TOGETHER!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROK ARMY MOUNTAIN COMOUFLAGED BDU JACKET, HISTORY "WE GO TOGETHER!"

Earlier we mentioned we will do an article on RIOK Military camouflage currently in use. While going through our bags and trunks looking for uniforms to illustrate the article I found this jacket from the 1980's> At that time WOODLAND was the current authorized camouflage in use having replaced the OG 107. Korean BDUs were made in that pattern, they differed in that they do NOT have lower cargo pockets on the jackets and usually have a short "gas flap" that covers just the T shirt area. During this time US advisors and some ROK Army officers would take a US issue woodland jacket and modify it by removing the bottom cargo pockets (jackets are worn tucked in, not out), adding epaulets and ROK insignia. This is how this jacket came about, it's a normal rip stop GI issue jacket modified as told. We thought it may be of interest and believe this is what started the "modified BDUs" used by US SF before the ACUs came into use.

As I mentioned in another post I spent time with the ROK Mountain Infantry, where this jacket id from.

Overall of the jacket. A standard rip stop woodland BDU, ROK modified.

Insignia on the jacket include, on epaulets green leadership tag (means wearer is in the chain of command and is a leader), collar rank insignia here Lt Col., right chest ROK Army SF identifier and name tag, left chest ROKA Master Parachutist wings and section number, left shoulder unit sleeve shoulder insignia.
    3.jpg

Close up of added shoulder epaulet and snap. Also slip[ on "leadership tab"
    4.jpg

Not shown, on each chest pocket a third button was added between the flap pocket closure buttons to attach fob insignia such as leadership, name badge in Korean with US rank insignia, and the DMZ "234" badges. ROK insignia was often worn by advisors to eliminate confusion and the ROK training awards they have earned. Usually but not always the US Army name tags were worn over the right pocket, at this time colour insignia was still allowed. We hope you found this old jacket of interest, it's part of history now of the US Army, KMAAG and the ROK Army and illustrates the motto "We go together".

A VIDEO OF THE MOUNTAIN TROOPS...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObRDso5-6o

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin..."We go together!"
    Last edited by JY; 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM.
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Nice, thanks Jim.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Really interesting ! Is there any tradition or specific facts, badges or stuffs in the ROK iNfantry ?
      " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Hi Dom;

No real traditions are observed, The ROK has been at war since it's inception so not much time for ceremonies and such.

take care, friend...Jim & Soo-jin
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Working...
        X