Republic of Korea Special Warfare Command gore-tex uniform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republic of Korea Special Warfare Command gore-tex uniform

This brief 3 part article is about the current issue Republic of Korea Army Special Warfare Command (ROKA SWC) Gore-Tex camouflage uniform. The camouflage pattern is specific to ROKA SWC and not used by others of the ROK military forces. In a future article the various camouflage patterns currently in use by ROK military branches will be discussed and illustrated to include the new ROK Marine corps digital tiger stripe and the various "woodland' and intelligence patterns in use. Another will be on the current US GEN III system in Multicam/OCP in use by SOF units. For those not familiar, OCP (Operation Camouflage Pattern) is the Army version of multicam that they no longer want to pay royalties for lol.

Part one the ROKA SWC uniform consists of a jacket, trousers, cold weather liners, and hood. The actual use is usually just the jacket and trousers, a boonie hat is preferred over the hood and most like to use a layered fleece base instead of the zip in liners. Construction is very similar to the GEN II US items being made of a heavy nylon outer shell with nylon linings and Velcro closures for pockets, cuffs and storm flaps. Both the jacket and trousers are lined with a net material o provide more comfort and insulation air space. All insignia is attached using Velcro, rank insignia by snap loop like US or epaulet slides.

The jacket has four front pockets all closed by Velcro, a Velcro patch for a name tag, one for wings and one for unit insignia on the left sleeve. The patches in place are, name tag, ROKA SF Masters Parachute wings that I earned here, and the SWC SSI on the left shoulder.

Here is a close up of the pocket detail, both upper pockets have drain grommets at their outer lower side to drain water build up, and just to the outside of the pocket next to them air vent with screens similar to those on boonie hats.
    DSC00007.JPG

Detail of left sleeve with the shoulder pocket containing pen slots and a large pocket. The elbow area has a very heavy nylon reinforcement patch to stop wear.
    DSC00008.JPG

Interior view of the net and partial nylon liner. there is heavy elastic panels at the waist to keep the jacket tight, a shock cords with barrel locks at the hem to tighten for warmth.
    DSC00009.JPG

Part two will concern the trousers as issued:
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

PART TWO: ROKA SWC Gore-Tex uniform trousers>

The trousers are constructed in a similar manner as the jacket. They have two slash pockets and two cargo pockets closed with Velcro flaps. they also have the net lining as the jacket and also a built in adjustable waist belt and shock cords to tighten. The cuffs are secured by Velcro flaps.
    DSC00013.JPG

They also have the net liner as the jacket does.
    DSC00015.JPG

I have found the uniform to be very rugged, quiet, and does what it is intended to...to keep you warm, dry and comfortable in the field. There is no loud snap crackle and pop that the US GEN III gore-ex has and it hasn't snagged in the heavy brush and woods of the Korean mountains. I recommend this uniform to any who can actually find one, a hard mission indeed lol.

The next part will be of the current ROKA SWC specific Type 2 boonie hat.
    Last edited by JY; 01-19-2015, 10:35 PM.
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

PART THREE: The ROKA SWC specific boonie hat.

The ROKA SWC boonie hat is specific to the unit, it has a large brim, a rounded crown, and in the SWC camouflage. The hat is also Gore-Tex lined and has a unique feature of a small snap hook to attach the hat to the load bearing gear when not worn.

here is a top view notice the snap hook at the 12 o'clock position, snaps on both side to fold up the brim and the chin strap with barrel lock to secure to the dome.

Close up of the snap hook and the loop attaching it to the hat.

Interior of the hat showing the taped liner seams to keep it dry, and the chin cord and lok, the normal ROK aemy size and property tag is at 6 o'clock inside.
      DSC00018.JPG

The final part, we hope you found the article interesting and informative.

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin, staying warm and dry on Freedom's Frontier

Comment

Nice, very nice now that I found them.

Jim. Large regular. 7.5 for the hat.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Hi Vince;

If I could I would my friend! Soo-jin and I have been busy since the holidays like a three legged cat...well we have also been working on a article of some cold weather gear you all can get a hold of if you are "creative". it will include the GEN III and FREE IWOL Multicam/OCP system items currently is use by Special Operations and Ranger units. We both wear this system and and feel it is one of the best issued.

Take care, friend...Dutch & Soo-jin, toasty warm on Freedom's Frontier.

Comment

Dang, I forgot the remind you about the fur hat. Keep that on the list.
            "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
            X