This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 Carbine part II

Here's a follow up for M4 tips, a couple new items, cutting one in the first part , an optic cover and maybe a new use for the ACOG Reflex, lol.

The first item is just now being released by MagPul, I've used it a bit and like it. They call it the MIAD pistol grip, MIssion ADaptable Grip. Sounds like a a complex system, but actually only means the accessory compartments can be changed. There are 4 cores a (3 round ammo,)( 2 AA,AAA, N battery,)( 123A Battery) and a (spare bolt and firing pin).

The kit contains various front and back straps that slide onto the maing grip and one "core", they include the most usless the 3 spare round core in the kit. Here's a photo of the kit as received.[attachment=1203:attachment]

To install you first remove the original pistol grip, use care the safety detent and spring are under the top of the grip and is easy to loose. Then select which front strap you want and slide it onto the MIAD's main body, this has to be done before mounting it to your M4. I chose the one with the winter trigger guard that replaces the M4's original aluminum hinged item. This both gives room for gloves and eliminates the gap that chew up your middle finger at the rear of the trigger guard. Once done if using the new trigger guard, remove the rear split pin of the trigger guard, push in the front detent and remove. Then using the supplied allen screw mount the pistol grip, make sure your safety spring and detent are in position. If you get the grip on and your safety just rotates without stops or falls out you lost the spring/detent, hate when that happens If using the new trigger guard install the supplied allen set screw into the front threaded hole of the guard through the front right hole where the detent for the original was. And you're done with the main parts.

Now select a back strap, try it by sliding it on, if you want to try others just push it's base tab back and remove, try another until you are happy with the feel. Once you have decided insert the supplied split pin in the hole on the back strap, this will make it a solid assembly. Here's a photo of my grip after assembly [attachment=1204:attachment]

The "cores" just snap into the grip from the bottom, there's a rail in the front that aligns to guide it in [attachment=1205:attachment]

Here's a photo of the two cores I have [attachment=1206:attachment] The battery core hoplds two N size batteries for the EoTech.

The trigger guard replacement fits well and eliminates the scrapes and such the regular one can give you [attachment=1207:attachment]

I have found this grip to be both comfortable and durable, and of course it comes in ...tada...coyote, lol.

In the last M4 tips I talked about MagPul's rail panels. We found the best method to cut these is into 4 sections. two sections of two, one section of one and one section of three like this [attachment=1208:attachment] we used a Xacto razor saw to cut them, makes a nice thin clean cut. Once cut it's a good idea to number each section and an arrow showing front like this [attachment=1209:attachment] This allows you to reassemble the panel as it was cut, this will keep the panel neat and free from openings that could cut your hand and such, almost like it was never cut [attachment=1210:attachment]

Here's a section removed from the top panel [attachment=1211:attachment] To mount an item to the rail remove all the panel and place the item, here is an ACOG Reflex sight mounted in the CQB position behind the front sight tower, once placed add the rail panel sections to cover unused rail like this [attachment=1212:attachment]

The rail panel covers have worked great, very strong, easy to use, easy to cut and slip proof, no complaints here good stuff! Plus they just snap on and off, no springs to fiddle with.

There were some questions about BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) and the best I've found is the original KAC SOPMOD 300 meter sight. Its small, rugged and stays out of the way of the charging handle. Here's a photo of it folded [attachment=1213:attachment] and one up ready for use [attachment=1214:attachment] The original in the photo has the A1 type windage drum and the lolipop is solid metal, the newer 300 meter sight has the A2 knob and a plastic peep insert. The A2 knob crowds your fingers when grabbing the charging handle in a hurry, not good in my book. The plastic peep insert tends to drop out at odd times, think there's thousands of them all over the Afghan mountains and Iraqi sands, so try to get the early one. This sight is the smallest going and it will co witness with all the "red dot sights".

Once you have a nice optic mounted on the receiver rails you may want to protect it when in storage, on the move in a vehicle where action isn't expected and such. Black Hawk makes a nice little scope cover just for the M4 and it's optics Called the "Tactical Scope Cover" or some other cool name. No matter it's a great little cover just like a mini version of the SWS covers. [attachment=1215:attachment]

LOL, for shlitz and giggles, after we read an article on compition AR15's showing a red dot mounted on the side of the weapon and the day optic on the receiver rail. This allowed you to engage the far targets normally and if a close target appeared you turned the weapon on it's side where the "dot" sight was mounted to engage it. We tried it using the RIS/RAS for the Reflex and the ACOG 4x32mm on the receiver rail...it works, feels strange but it works [attachment=1216:attachment], may not ever use it operationally but was worth some giggles during a training class we gave. This one is set up for a lefty...of course

Take care...Jim
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Hey Brother,
    Another kick a$$ article, with some more great ideas. Thanks!
    Repectfully,
    Harry
    PS
    I can't help but notice how much pollymuurr you've been adding to your weapon Stay safe Brother!
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

JY,

Wow.

I'm not kidding about the book deal, O' Book o' Kowledge. I'd be in line to pick one up.

Scott
      Scott Berish, Owner
      Liberty Optics LLC
      An Official Vendor of Sniper?s Paradise
      "See Better, Shoot Better"
      www.libertyoptics.com

Phone: 406-890-2714
      If no answer: 352-572-1469 (cell
      Fax: 763-431-5015
      Email: Scott@LibertyOptics.com

Secure snail mail payments:
      Liberty Optics
      PO Box 2554
      Kalispell MT 59903

Comment

Great info here, new equipment is always cool. I like the pictures also, I need to learn how to use a camera.

flea
        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

LOL, just replacing polly-murr with better polly-murr

Forgot to mention that the KAC 300 Meter sight fits perfect under the ACOG 4x32mm, both the old as pictured and the newer version. Most other BUIS tend to not fit or crowd the ACOG and really only suitable for use with the "red dots". This would include the LMT, one of the better for "red dots", that will co witness perfectly. Some that will work with the ACOG are the Wilson Combat, some ARMS, and some of the GG&G's.

Take care...Jim
          "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Comment

That MIAD looks just like mine. Another great product from Magpul.

Comment

I have found the MIAD to be one of the most comfortable grips on the market. The enlarged trigger guard will even allow you to use some of the "puffy" insulated gloves with no problems. The AA core with the internal adapter will carry two N batteries for the EoTech, the rubber cap has a "SPENT" side to designate used batteries. This allows you to carry the spent out of the AO should OPSEC require it and remind you that they are used. A well thought out system.

The production models of the MIAD are suppossed to hit the market this month some time, I do not know what differences will be made between this pre production and the production at this time.

take care...Jim

Comment

Working...
                X