Two new good reads.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new good reads.

One thing, when there's no TV to be had, the DVDs are all old, and the lap tops batteries are getting poor... ya got time to read Two will be of interest to the good folks here. Both are general information varieties, histories to exact.

"The Sniper at War" "From the American Revolutionary War to the present day" by Michael E. Haskew , ISBN 0-312-33651-9, Thomas Dunne Books, St Martin's Press, New York. First US edition 2005...go figure Covers snipers of the world from The Revolution up to and including Iraq and Afghanistan. Includes individual stories and coverage of weapons and tactics.

Has some interesting photos, including one of a Bosnian sniper in Sarajevo sighting a SVD with an offset optic sitting at his kitchen table in tennis shoes and the table filled with slivo' bottles..must have a great union This is one shooting position I have never tried, but.....

There's some good reading here, but...always a but. There are some inaccuarcies in the photo captions, like calling a M14 with an optic a M24, or a Log Command trooper sighting through a NOD on a Maw Duce a sniper, though an obvious set up sales photo. But even with a few errors the book is a good read and well worth getting.

"Out of Nowhere, A history of the Military Sniper" by Martin Pegler, ISBN 1-84176-854-5, Osprey Publishing in association with Royal Armouries. 2004. Excellent book! Begins in the 1500's and ends in the 21st century. Heavy on WW I through today, individual stories, including the Princess Pat's Canadian snipers in Afghanistan, and some good technical information too, more than the above book. If you buy just one of the two this is the better! Has great illustrations with correct captions I recommend this one highly it deserves a place on all those who love rifles book shelves.

Hope you find them both interesting, passed some cold nights reading these made them pass faster These will end up in my home collection not passed on lol.

Take care...Jim
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Thanks for the info, Jim. Merry Christmas sir.

Vern
    "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

There both great books, i read them back in the high school days, had nothing better to do except homework back then. I still love to scan through them once in a while though. I must have for any collection/reference.

Hunter

Comment

Hi Vern;

Same to you my friend! Glad to help.

LOL, I don't know Adam. The oldest of the two is first published in Great Britain 2004 with the first printing in the fall of 2004 and contains information on the 6.8 SPC along with Operation Anaconda March 2002. Also about Spectro Dynamics' recent developement of a treatment for clothing that provides protection against infra-red imaging and a special face/skin paint that gives almost complete immunity from detection Along with other entries on boith OEF and OIF.

The second is a first printing and release this month of 2004 with a first US edition 2005, contains a miss identified photo on page 173 of a 25ID trooper armed with a M14 with optic labeled as "A sniper of the US Army's 25th Division sights his M-24 rifle in the direction of hostile fire during fighting near the Shiite Muslim holy city of Najaf April 2004". Neither are revisions or second printings.

If you read these in high school I hope you are at least a senior this year, could be you confused these with another two books At any rate, get them and do your homework my friend! They will be a must have for your collection /reference library a lot of good up to date very current information in them both...Merry Christmas Adam

take care...Jim
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

I must not have a life I by 5 or 6 books at a time. I am always looking for a good read. Thanks
          "Beware the fury of a patient man."

-Emperor God Muad'Dib-

Comment

Working...
          X