"it's All About Saving Lives"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "it's All About Saving Lives"

Glad to see you came here to check this out. This may not be as exciting as ghillie suit making, tracking or other skills...BUT, survival is the top fieldcraft skill. This kit could save your life, your wife's, your kids, or a stanger in a car crash. The military has for awhile now been issued a little kit, a "Traumatic wound kit". This little kit has saved lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of you may have seen or heard about this kit, the military and some first responders on this site may have handled or used it. I have to say IT WORKS, and have first hand experience with it.

That said, this kit stops serious bleeding, either venous or arterial, and does it quickly. Heavy loss of blood will kill in a matter of minutes, used to be pressure dressings, constriction and luck were the only things available. The military kits come in a nylon pouch called a "Battle Pack"[attachment=708:attachment]

This pouch is fully MOLLE, AITES, FSB, BALCS compatible. [attachment=709:attachment]

Contained inside are a 3.5oz package of QuikClot, two crinkle cotton fluff bandage rolls, and a Cinch Tight sterile compression bandage. [attachment=710:attachment]

Full instruction for it's use are contained on the back of the QuikClot package. [attachment=711:attachment]

The QuikClot works by absorbing the liquid in the blood to form a clot, when it's working it can get HOT, this is just how fast it's absorbing the water. There is a small chance it can actually burn some of the flesh, but, the bleeding will be stopped and you, your wife, you kid or whoever will be alive to get that burn treated. I'm not going into details as to it's use, those are contained in the kit along with warnings and post treatment actions.

I did some research on this item. If you want more information on this kit the maker has a site at Z-Medica this is on the tag on the back of all the kits.They also will sell direct or will put you in contact with a dealer in your area. They are also working on more civilian related medical supplies based on this. And the cost is very low compared to other similar acting items. I know when I get home these will be in each vehicle, other places around the house and carried when in the hills.

Hope this will be of use to you and yours, in some ways it's a down and dirty field expedient but it works. A lot of good medical technology comes from war, and this is one of them.

Take care...Jim
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

I've been interested in the Quik-Clot ever since I first saw it come out. I have wanted some to keep with my small med kit that I keep in my SWAT vest. The problem is,everytime I find some,it's expensive as h3ll. If you know of anywhere that sells it,that doesn't want your firstborn as a payment,please post it. Other than that,I agree with you %100. Great post.
    The loudest sound your weapon can make is CLICK. Remember to press check.

Your worst nightmare is just another day at the office for me.

Comment

Hi ghost;

Check the above link to Z-Medica, in the left hand menue at the bottom is distributors, click on it and it will give you a drop down state locator. I have found that Brigade QM has the kits for around $44.99 in a black or desert nylon pouch with either the Cinch Tight or the "Emergency Bandage" , they have a site at Brigade QM .Go to their site and click on "Brand names" from the menue, at the bottom of the list is "Z-Medica", click on it then the link it shows and you're there. Hmmm just checked they now have single 3.5 oz packs for $25.99 and it's in stock. Local distributors are quoting prices of $13.00 for a 1.75 oz pack to $24.00 for a 3.50 oz package and anywhere from $35-45 for a kit, so you may do better with a distributor in your state. The kit is the way to go, has all the bandages recomended by the maker, and if you can get it with 2 packs of 1.75 oz better yet. Usually you only need part of the 3.5 oz pack to stop a serious leak, and once opened you can't save what's left, plus you're suppossed to turn over the empty pack to the medics when the arrive.

For what you get when needed the price is very cheap, other similar items run from over $100 to over $1000 per use. I really didn't think to much about this until a few days ago, now I can't see going without it...somethings just make you a believer.

Take care...Jim
      "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

I have seen quick clot around b4 and have ment to pick some up in the past but never have yet. What is the self life of quick clot.. or does it last 4ever until opened (I would think that they have a exp. date?) It would be nice to have one for the truck and on the road, and then another for gear and hunting.

Comment

GREAT POST.....I even showed it to my wife who works in an urgent care facility. She said they have a product that is a foam type application but doesn't work all the time so she is interested in this as well. We may be buying several for our vehicles and the home too. Thank you very much for posting this.

Jet
          Isshin Ryu Student

Comment

Hi TS;

The packets are marked with a use by date. Looking at some new kits looks to be 3 years or so. Hopefully my new kit will expire on it's own

Hi Jet, glad I can help.

take care ...Jim

Comment

I don't know, you may can get these cheaper somewhere else... but I thought that I would put these out for eveyone...

http://search-desc.ebay.com/Z-Medica_W0QQs...ojsprZyQQpfidZ0

Comment

Thanks for the hook-up guys, just what I have been looking for to add to my kit.

Carbon
                "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
                Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Comment

My wife picked up a kit from this dealer in Durango, they have a site at Chinook Medical Gear, Durango, Colorado Also carry the home heart defib sets along with a pile of gear. QuikClot twin packs listed at $23.95

Take care...Jim

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                    If anyone would like some additional information on Quick Clot, I found the following FAQ; Frequently Asked Questions page from a retailer .
                    FAQ on QuickClot via Alphanet
                    I was concerned about some previous reports of it's exothermic effect , but the FAQ does a fair job of answering them.
                    Respectfully,
                    Harry
                    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Harry! Great Q&A site.

take care, my friend...Jim

Comment

The quick clot is getting all the raves here, but also look at the Israeli battle dressing (cinch-tite). This is probably the best advance in field dressings since boiled water and torn sheets! The dressing is quick and easy to apply with one hand, works to cover a wound, as a pressure dressing or as a tourniquet - and it never expires unless the sterile package is opened. An absolutely excellent piece of gear.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Comment

Rule:Have you got a link?

Comment

Hi ghost;

Cinch Tight come's in the military kits, you can also get the Israeli type dressing from Z-Medica. [attachment=739:attachment] the long package below the QuikClot packet is the Cinch Tight.

Cinch Tight is indeed a one handed application, great gear here. These are made by H and H Associates, Inc, Bena, VA (800) 326-5708.

The good thing about the "Battle Pack" is there's enough room in the pouch to add further items the user may want. Just remember to keep your Blowout Kit just that, items for quick medical care of a traumatic wound, so you don't have to sort through Ranger candy(motrin) , all purpose cures(APCs..asprin) athletes foot goop and other trash
                            Take care...Jim
                            Attached Files

Comment

Guys,let me say that this thread kicks a$$. Its one of the most informative threads I've seen in awhile. And it has nothing to do with rifles. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X