M4 Tips, And Some New Goodies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 Tips, And Some New Goodies

Tip 1)The current M4 flash suppressor does a fair job but does allow a good amount of spark to enter the view of night vision devices.
    [attachment=658:attachment]
    Here's a photo of the standard FS and the Vortex FS. The Vortex eliminates much more of the "flash" and doesn't extend the OAL by much at all. The diameter is the same 22mm as the issue FS and even allows the bayonet to be mounted if desired.
    [attachment=661:attachment] (sorry for the old model M9, had to scrammble to even find this one,lol). The change from the issue to the Vortex is a good one if you work a lot in low light or with NODs.

Tip 2)No matter which you use in the great vacation spots currently on the books, both require a muzzle cap. There are a few kinds out there, for the standard FS the red, or black "Top Hats' work great, these will also work with the Vortex. [attachment=662:attachment] I can't remember where I picked up this one but it fits the Vortex like a glove... maybe for the G36 or the Aussie 77 (AUG).[attachment=663:attachment] hard to say where I barrowed it But you really need to seal both to keep the sand outside of the bore where it belongs.

Tip 3) The RIS/RAS comes with KAC rail covers, these are nice when new but with use get reflective and slippery. In the photo the brown is a new replacement made by MagPul the short black is a new KAC still subdued the longer black is how they look after field use, shiney and slick.[attachment=664:attachment] The MagPul covers snap on so you do not have to remove or elevate the rear of the top rail assembly to get the top cover off and on as you would with the KAC cover that slides on and retained by a c spring. Here's a photo of the cover inside and outside showing it's construction.[attachment=665:attachment] These are made of a rubbery polymer material and can be cut to what ever length you need when mounting lights, lasers or what ever. Here's a photo of the cut line and the texture on the covers. [attachment=666:attachment] These covers are matte and non slip even when wearing gloves or wet, the color is "Coyote Brown" . Matching paint is available from Brownells (#968 Field Drab Camo Paint by AERVOE) to paint your pistol grip, butt and other items to match. We usually use a removable bowflage type paint to do the metal when needed.

Tip 4) Magazine followers cause most of the really bad stoppages in the field. The sand causes drag allowing Mr Murphy to cause your follower to tilt. The older black and alloy style and even the "newer" green jobs will tilt and stop your carbine cold. Again MagPul has come to the rescue with a new "Self Leveling Follower". These have longer "legs" and fit the side walls of the magazine better so they can't tilt. here's a photo showing the followers, top is the new MagPul, middle the "new" green "anti tilt" type and bottom the old wobbly black type. [attachment=667:attachment] Here's a photo showing the older followers hanging up and "tilting". [attachment=668:attachment] And here what the assembled magazine followers look like, so you can see what the modified and older look like.[attachment=669:attachment]

Tip 5) This one's a little old but some of you may not be familar with it. When magazines are in the pouch a quick method of identifying which are loaded and which empty by touch is to place loaded mags feed lips down, empty feed lips up. Just by running you fingers over them will tell you which are which.[attachment=670:attachment] While on the subject, the loops on the loaded mags in the photo are simply 550 cord, gutted, cut to length, knots tied at each end which are then inserted into the mag body and the floor plate slide into place. Cheap, easy to make and do the same job the high priced rubber thingies do.

Hope these tips help some of you out, they all work and have survived the field well. Had some down time due to a sore leg and put it to use Don't ya hate it when I get time on my hands, lol.

take care...Jim

(author is not responsible for typing, grammar,or spelling errors..it's the pain pills
    ..yeah the pain pills)
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Hey Jim,
    You got an NSN for those little top hat muzzle protectors? Sand isn't a problem here, but snow can be a REAL b***. Thanks.
    Now all will truly fear the dark, as a child fears the Demon in his dreams. --- "The Creation"

Comment

Hey Jim, how do you like the phantom flash hiders? Is the closed design an advantage over the open vortex?
      TIA

Comment

I don't have the TM's with me, so can't help you with the NSNs. They should be listed in the TM on the M16A2/M4A1. Sorry. As for the neat one that fits the Vortex, dunno, I aquired that one somewhere in my travels and stuck it in my maint. gear pouch and forgot about it until I switched to the Vortex. Thinking about dummy cording it to the sling swivel
        Hi R, I'm not familar with the phantom. From what the maker states about the Vortex is the open end causes a "tuning fork" vibration that helps mix the burning gas to cool and subdue it. I haven't run into any problems with the open end catching on anything, not a whole lot of tropical growth or vines in this AO The twist in the "flutes" was also suppossed to help spin the gas to cool it, dunno about that, the German rip off of the design on their G36 is straight but still open ended Got some fresh snow on the peaks, so guess I'll be seeing how well it works in the white stuff soon

Take care...Jim
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

How about front vertical grips and flip up rear sights?
          Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
          Thomas

Comment

Hey Everyone,
            The Magpul Rail Panels that Jim recommended are currently up for a group buy discount over on AR15.Com.
            Equipment Exchange ‚ Group/Bulk Buys ‚ Magpul Rail Panel Group Buy is Beginning! Details Inside!!! Get Signed Up!!!
            TheTacticalSolution
            Industry Partner
            Crazy Texan
            Post Number :: 525
            TX, USA

The Rail Panel group buy is a go! This group buy will run for one month at which point everyone will have 10 days to get their payment in if they haven't already done so. Below is all the information and dates. The price represents a 20% discount and is the lowest price you'll find on these panels.

$this->unconvert_size(14pt;line-height:100%">Group Buy Information

Price: $9.56 per panel with a minimum order of 4 panels
            Shipping: Flat $3.85 per order (within the US & Canada)
            Colors: Black, OD Green, Desert Tan & Coyote Brown
            Group Buy End Date: Sunday, September 16, 2004
            Payment Received Cutoff: Monday, September 27, 2004
            Ship Date: All order shipped by Saturday, October 2, 2004

This group buy will cover both the XT full panels and the low profile ladder type panels as well. The minimum order is four panels, but you can mix and match between panel types and colors.

The $3.85 shipping fee is for the entire order, regardless of the quantity. Four panels or four hundred, the shipping is still $3.85. If shipping international the shipping fee will vary. Email me for an exact quote.

The group buy ends on 09/16/04 and no orders can be added after this date. So if you want in you need to get your name on the list before 12:00 midnight on the 7th.

Payment must be received by 09/27/04
            . You can pay at any time during the group buy but your payment must be received by the 27th. Payments will not be deposited or CC's charged until the payment cutoff date.

All orders will be shipped within 5 days of the payment cutoff.

Payment Information

Your full name and ar15.com handle should accompany all payments

We will be accepting payment by cashiers check, money order, Paypal and Visa/MC. Mailed payments should be sent to:

The Tactical Solution
            1817 N Wharton
            Sherman, TX 75092

Paypal payments should go to: Please make sure that all payments are sent to this address as it will help us keep track of group buy payments and keep them seperate.

Credit card payments, if emailed, should also be sent to . Or you can call them in at 903-819-9772. There isn't always someone around to answer the phone, so please leave a message if that's the case. The best days to call in an order is Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Contact Information

Please include your full name and ar15.com handle with all emailed correspondance.

We suggest that any questions or comments regarding the group buy be posted here so that other members that may have the same questions can see them here but you can also contact us by one of the methods below. We prefer email and have a relatively quick response time to all emails but you can also give us a call.

Contact Name: Michael VanSant
            Email:
            Phone: 903.819.9772
            Mailing Address:

The Tactical Solution
            1817 N Wharton
            Sherman, TX 75092

Instructions

Regardless of your payment method, everyone will need to email us at with your full name, ar15.com handle and your order so that we can put you on the list. Please use the subject "Magpul List" in the subject line so that they will be funneled to the group buy folder we have setup.

Once you are on the list you can make payment at any time. However, we will not be shipping any product until the group buy is closed.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The Tactical Solution
            1817 N Wharton
            Sherman TX 75092
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Posted :: 7/31/2004 9:36:11 PM[/b]
            )
            I hope this helps.
            Respectfully,
            Harry
            "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
            "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Hi Thomas;

We still have the KAC V. Grips(spray painted FD now) but have seen the one by Tango Down and may give a couple a try. The TD has room for a spare bolt assembly in it along with a mount for tape switches used on M951'as and the PEQ 2. The mounting system uses two spring loaded locking bars instead of the threaded type, don't know how strong they'll be(reason only going to try a couple). One thing about the V. grips is they will cause wobble in the bottom rail of your RIS/RAS, this is normal but can shake you up

The KAC 300 meter is a good carbine sight that will co witness with you EoTech, BUT, you want the early model with the A1 type windage wheel and with out the little plastic sight insert that falls off in the dark. This is one of the best if you use the ACOG 4x32mm optic, very low profile and simple. If not using a optic requiring short eye relief, LMT makes a great BUIS similar in operation to a standard A2 rear sight, it's fixed and will co witness with EoTechs, and is the current favorite in spec ops, a very solid BUIS. LOL, saw one of the spring loaded flip ups launch itself during an op, I thought it was funny, the owner well no sense of humor

As we find methods/goodies that work I'll post them here.

Take care, my friend...Jim

Comment

Hi Harry;

That's a good deal for individuals, keep in mind though MagPul gives a good quantity discount to military and I believe LE for purchases with unit funds. Contact them directly on unit paper work at their Boulder, Colorado address and they will break it down for you....crap only have the phone number handy (303)596-9020. Their item number on the "Enhanced Self Leveling Followers, 3 pack" is 6144, the XT Texture Rail Panel, Coyote Brown" is 5413. If you get anything, the followers are a definate gotta have if yoiu use the aluminum 30 rounders,they say it will also work in twenty rounders if you modify.

Take care, my friend...Jim

Comment

BTW, those ladder looking covers are great for small hands but not a slip proof. Also good if you only have a BUIS on your reciever to protect the exposed rail.

Take care...Jim

Comment

Hi;

I was going to post another tip here, but think it may be better posted under fieldcraft. Has to do with survival, on the battle field, in the home, camping, hunting, anywhere kids are. The maker of this item has a motto, "it's all about saving lives"and it is. So I'll steal their motto for the title on fieldcraft, check it out.

Take care...Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X