South Korean, ROKA SF Camouflage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Korean, ROKA SF Camouflage

Have some time this morning, we photo'd this awhile back so will post it now.

The ROK SWC (Special Warfare Command) has it's own pattern of camouflage. Still called "granite" but darker colours are used to better work in the forests and mountains of the highlands. It like the USMC are descendants of a US Army digital pattern designed at NATICK. LOL, the uniform used is one of Soo-jin's ..."Dutch, block out my size labels. do not want all to know what my sizes are!" So under threat of bodily harm I will do so along with censoring name tags

The ROKA SWC camouflage uniform is similar to most modern combat uniforms with a jacket, trousers,belt, baseball cap, bonnie hat and beret. The uniform itself is made of a cotton rip stop material.

The jacket has two breast pockets and two shoulder pockets the left of which has a pen holder on it's outside. All have a metal drain grommet in it's bottom. Most insignia, wings, name tags, specialty patches, unit pocket patch, and shoulder unit patches are attached with Velcro. Rank insignia is attached for NCOs with Velcro on the left pocket, or epaulet slides or sewn to the collar. Officers generally sewn to collar or on epaulet slides. Closure is a full zipper with a Velcro closed storm flap, Cuffs adjust and fasten with Velcro. On the back at waist is a reinforcement attached to the outside at belt line.

The jacket with normal field insignia attached.
    [attachment=17116SC00002.JPG]
    label inside the front left lower side of the jacket, sizes marked out..sort of lol!
    [attachment=17132:4.jpg]
    Left sleeve showing the pocket, pen pocket, drain grommet and shoulder insignia of the Special Warfare Command. Pocket closes with Velcro.
    [attachment=17117SC00003.JPG]
    Left chest pocket detail, note drain grommet. Closes with Velcro and a center button. Master Para wings with three jump stars= 300+ jumps.
    [attachment=17118SC00004.JPG]
    Right chest pocket detail. Unit patch for SWC, name tape, and skill patch, in this case Special forces signal.
    [attachment=17119SC00005.JPG]
    The reinforce strip on back of jacket at belt line.
    [attachment=17134:6.jpg]
    Inside the right chest at the top inside a square section of material is sewn. This is buttoned to a button in the left chest inside forming a T shirt like collar when the jacket is zipped up. This adds protection and for the ladies a modesty cover for the chest Here is the flap open.
    [attachment=17137SC00001.JPG]
    Here secured by the button inside left chest.
    [attachment=17138SC00003.JPG]
    And with jacket zipped.
    [attachment=17139SC00006.JPG]
    When worn in the JSA (Joint Security Area, Pan Mun Jom) special insignia in the form of two shoulder DUIs and a pocket badge of the United Nations Command. The pocket badge has the "234" for the treaty setting up the JSA on it's face at the bottom. the green tabs on the epaulets are "leadership tabs", these denote the wearer is in the chain of command.
    [attachment=17120SC00008.JPG]
    Close up of the UNC DUI, also of the ROKA Colonel insignia on collars, "three flowers", the mugunghwa the national flower of Korea.
    [attachment=17121SC00006.JPG]
    Detail of the UNC "234" pocket badge.
    [attachment=17123SC00007.JPG]
    Overall view of badged jacket with Special Forces black beret. The beret can be worn with the SF insignia on the flash or a silver metal Colonels insignia.
    [attachment=17124SC00010.JPG]
    Detail of SF badge with Colonel's insignia below. Most like to wear the SF insignia in the field.
    [attachment=17125SC00014.JPG]

The trousers. Made of the same material as the jacket they include 8 pockets. Two hip, two slash, two tool pockets in the slash, two cargo pockets. Cuffs have shock cord blousing cords with a rubber keeper.
    [attachment=17126:A.jpg]
    Detail of the left side pocket tool pocket by the slash pocket entrance.
    [attachment=17127:B.jpg]
    Detail cuff shock cord and rubber keeper.
    [attachment=17128:C.jpg]

The belt is similar to the US web trouser belt. The cotton belt is two sided with digital camouflage on one side and woodland on the other with a phosphate metal tip that always has rust spots lol! This is a SF issue item, not commercial and unique to SF.The buckle is black finished. both metal parts are marked with the Ministry of Defense markings.
    [attachment=17129:1.jpg]
    Detail of buckle and rust spotted tip Showing MOD markings on tip. "Hey Dutch, who gonna yell at me for rusty?"
    [attachment=17130:2.jpg]
    back of buckle with MOD markings and some of the woodland side of belt.
    [attachment=17131:3.jpg]

For a comparison, on the left is USMC MARPAT and on the right ROKA SWC "Granite"
    [attachment=17133:5.jpg]

So there you have it, the issue SWC camouflage uniform in current use by ROKA Special Forces. The same is worn by both male and female soldiers in SF. We both hope you will find this short article helpful and informative.

NOTE: ROKA SWC and SF also continue to wear the "old" woodland uniforms along with the standard "granite" camouflage uniforms of the ROKA. Also in use are the US Army ACU and multicam uniforms.

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin..."Can I have my clothes back now, Dutch? It cold in here...."
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Sweet. Nice to see and get a breakdown. Tell Soo-jin we appreciate her sacrifice.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Neat stuff, thanks for sharing that, Jim.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Well friends it looks like all photos are too large to upload. Article on ROKA SF Gore-Tex and current camouflage in use on hold. Including the new ROKMC digital "Tiger Stripes"

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin
        Last edited by JY; 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM.
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Working...
        X