No announcement yet.

Old does not mean obsolete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I joined a Reserve unit, I was issued one of the early tactical vest setups in lieu of the old warbelt, suspenders, mag pouches and canteen pouches. Hated it. All my shit was now on the front of torso and I couldn't get as low in the prone as I wanted.

Dug my old 782 gear out and wore that instead. Being the Platoon Sergeant/Acting Platoon Commander has its privileges!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

All,

I believe most are missing my point. I get the debate on old school ways vs. new equipment, and I could not care less about that. I'm with JY, for the most part, on that one. Although, some of that new stuff has saved my backside more than a few times, so I have no problem with someone making fun of me. Go ahead, I'm still here because of it!

Why I decided to jump into this was because of the statement, and I quote, "Welcome to a real war with a real military that matches you in most ways, no rednecks with rusty AKs."

That to me, and others who I have had read it just so I could validate my comprehension of the statement, is an insinuation that this generation's warriors have somehow been fighting in something of a pseudo war against a pretended enemy. That to me, is very disparaging, whether it is intended that way or not.

War is war, no matter how it is waged. We could sit here and have a philosophical discourse on war all day long, but to those of us who have tasted it, it's conflict carried on by force of arms, between nations or between parties within a nation; nothing more, nothing less.

I'm done. I have said my peace.

To all those who have served and continue to serve, have a great Veterans Day! And to all of my Marine brothers and sisters, Happy 239th!

"I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry the traditions for generations of warriors past."
      Cpl Jeff Sornig, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994

Comment

Maybe it's the Yankee education, but I didn't read anything insulting in Jim's post. Maybe I was reading into it, but I read it as though he was speaking to the ever present issue of our current military fighting our last war. It's happened for generations upon generations, and the price is always paid in blood until we catch up. We tend to forget the things we knew, when they aren't important to us right now. How many times have US Sniper training programs been folded when the combat ends, only to need to be redeveloped as combat picks up anew?
        The way we fight in Afghanistan is entirely different then the way we'd need to fight in Korea. He makes some very valid and common sense observations(based on a lifetime of military service experience) about gear selection, when you consider the resupply issues. Ninety pounds of the latest high speed low drag gear is still ninety pounds. Each new item added takes the place of ammunition and water you could be carrying. Yes there are mountains and snow and misery in Afghanistan a plenty, but things like taking artillery fire, enemy air, armor and the like is thankfully, mercifully, something our Warriors haven't had to face in quantity. Jim pointed out, I think correctly, that more then just their direct damage, there is the indirect issues of the impact on follow on support as it applies to your kit.
        I didn't read anything insulting toward our Warriors what so ever, and if he belittled our current adversaries, that too is just as common as the hadji, zipperhead, gook, kraut, ect. of ours, and those who came before us. I've left many of the more significant names off the list to limit offense, but I think the point is made. To be honest, calling them rednecks with AKs is a lot nicer then some of the current jargon used by many. None of the names diminished any of the actual combat prowess of those so named.
        Just my observations and a little food for thought...
        PS
        As to the Fanboy thing, I was clearly right about Multicam from the very beginning, and it's about time everyone else has caught up
        "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
        "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

[quote]
          As to the Fanboy thing, I was clearly right about Multicam from the very beginning, and it's about time everyone else has caught up [/b]
          :rotflmao:
          "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Thank you my friends for your support, both myself and Soo-jin value your support.

LOL, Harry! My sweet wife, Soo-jin, is now a "FanGirl" for Multicam since I got her a set of Gen III for our anniversary That along with a pair of MCB 950's and she was very happy this year, I got a "how you know what I wanted..." lol. LOL< she already has her Level 7's ready for the big freeze.."feel like a stuffed Teddy Bear in this suit".

Thank you all...Jim & Soo-jin
            "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

She's a lucky lady, Bro, for many reasons ...
              "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
              "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Thank you Harry I think I have been very lucky, but she cost me a Multicam 16 mag shingle lol. Nobody in Paju who does ROK tailoring had Multicam tape for her rank and insignia so...yep her ROKA name tapes ( have to be in Korean and English) , rank badges, wings and shoulder patch are ex-shingle nylon lol. So she is a definite ROK Army SF fashion plate

We hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving!

Take care, friend...Jim & Soo-jin
                "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

The sacrifices we make for the ones we love ...From ours to yours Brother, Happy Holidays!

Comment

Working...
                  X