Korean memories, in one frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean memories, in one frame

Leave it to a lady. Soo-jin was looking at the "Korean memories" post and said "let me look through the box Dutch, go get a cup of coffee and watch the news.". So I did, after an hour or so she says take a look. I tell her there's not much there and she replied "It's all there Dutch, maybe not to artistic, but it's all there." So I look again, here's what she had picked out and set on the desk...
    [attachment=16469:1.jpg]

She tells me "It's a story, it's our memories. Think of a map, the left hand side is west and the right hand side east. Your Infantry braid, 7ID patch and Ranger patch is west, ne?" Okay got that. "My "White Tiger" patch and norigae* is in east." makes sense so far, I think. "See how bayonets are set. M-1 bayonet on bottom from your first time in Korea. M-14 Bayonet for next tours, then M-16 bayonet that's what we both carried when we first met back in 1980's." Got it, a time line. "See how norigae come to the M-16 bayonet, that's our meeting, east meets west" Hmmmmm..."then JSA badge between west and east is where we are now together. And we are leaving the bayonets behind soon, retiring to our home together on Jeju, but not just yet, somebody to young."... Not bad. So I tell her I'll take a picture of it "wait Dutch, I'll straighten it up " I told her no, I liked it the way it is She's a keeper.

* a norigae is a decoration worn on the Korean ladies traditional hanbok. usually attached to the ribbon of the jacket or the waist ribbon of the skirt. They usually have some meaning to the lady who wears it.

Take care...Jim
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Nice, very nice Jim. Keep that lady safe.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

nice, well done ma'm !
      " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Soo-jin said " Gamsahamnida, thank you". "maybe I should have been artist not shooter."

Take care...Jim & Soo-jin
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

A good shooter, is an artist. Are they not?

[attachment=16484:chalk_outlines.jpg]
          Attached Files
          "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Working...
          X