American Tomahawk Company, Lagana VIE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Tomahawk Company, Lagana VIE

I have some time this morning and have had these photos on my computer. So here's a short article on the issue Tomahawk, a great pice of gear.

American Tomahawk Company LLC (CAGE 3G5W0) has been supplying their "LaGana Tactical Tomahawk" to the US Army fpr a couple years now. The Tomahawk is totally made in the USA to comply with military buying requirements and assigned NSN 4210-01-518-7244. Government price per item is at $107.00 give or take some change. Specifications are as follows and from ATC.

Steel: Drop-Forged 1060, Rc 52-54**
    Handle: ST “super-tough” modified nylon
    Ergonomics: Oval design – indexing finger grooves
    Overall Weight: 1 lb./453.59 grams practical*
    Overall Length: 14”/355.6mm practical*
    Sheath: Jumpable nylon – LBE/LBV, MOLLE, Sling, Belt
    M.S.R.P: $129.95

NSN: 4210-01-518-7244
    CAGE: 3G5W0
    D-U-N-S: 135186992
    SKU: "VTAC" - LaGana Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk

Notes: "Practical" weight and length allow for small variations in material and manufacturing tolerances. Sheath is not included to overall weight and length.

The edge bevel is ground to resist deformation under extreme use. It will retain its edge, even after insane levels of abuse. It is extremely sharp for its included angle. However, it will not shave hair from your arm.

The tomahawk was carried by Rangers from their inception in 1676, yep MUCH older than the US Marine Corps, sorry guys our cake got more candles lol. Major Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers rule # 19 reads "Let the enemy come till he's close enough to touch. The let him have it and jump out and finish him with your tomahawk..." This "Standing order, Roger's Rangers" are still the last two printed pages in the "Ranger Handbook" SH 21-76 and issued by Ranger Training Brigade, United States Army Infantry School Fort Benning Georgia, and begins with the Ranger Creed on page 1. I always carry a copy, my current copy is dated June 1998 and in good shape

Currently these Tomahawks are carried by Rangers, 2ID Stryker units, and some Special Forces units. A lot of Ranger wannabees like to carry them through private purchase, including some, gasp, youngster Marines though they have no linage to the Rangers...it's our trade mark ya'all, we don't wear your 'yellow leggings" nor serve tea to the Admiral

The 'hawk has been proven to be a tough article even been ran over by a truck bending it's handle to about 40 degrees with no damage. The cutting edge comes with a great grind already applies for it's purpose. IT'S AN AXE NOT A FILET KNIFE, it splits skulls and will penetrate Kevlar helmets like a hot knife through butter, ya don't shave with it! Shave with your handy dandy "Commando Tactical light saber", these are to get Medieval with...and hey, you can throw these things... if you don't mind throwing away a weapon

Photo one, shows the overall of the Tomahawk, if you're going to throw it away no need for the Para cord thong, old cops should know you use that just like a night stick thong to maintain control of your weapon. The handle has a rebar pattern on it to make it less "slippery", they get that way when used for what it's intended for. The 'hawk head it self has a very nice textured powder finish that stands up to hard use.
    [attachment=16340:1.jpg]

Photo two, a close up so you can see the nice finish, grinds and attachment of the 'hawk's head...
    [attachment=16341:2.jpg]

Photo three, the head is wedged on with a split in the handle and a Allen wrench tightened screw for a very solid and adjustable as it loosens head retention...
    [attachment=16342:3.jpg]

Photo four, the Tomahawk comes with a "jumpable" sheath that can be mounted on a belt, MOLLE gear, or hung on a sling. I have mine on a sling much like they were carried back when our country was new. The sling doesn't come with the sheath by the way...
    [attachment=16344:4.jpg]

Photo five, it's does the job and with the plastic inserts does the job without the jumpmaster saying get rid of the 'hawk...
    [attachment=16343:5.jpg]

Photo six, here's the back with the loops to attach to a belt or MOLLE webbing and the "D" rings to attach a sling or shoulder strap...
    [attachment=16345:6.jpg]

Photo seven, shows the fit and finish of the Tomahawk, it's a well done item. No fancy 'sweeps" "swirls" or unneeded cuts to make it look like a "Viking" battle hammer or axe. Just a simple and very rugged tool.
    [attachment=16346:7.jpg]

A warning about carrying a "Ranger Tomahawk" if the gremlins catch you don't expect to be treated nicely, Rangers are feared and will be treated much like a sniper, standing orders are usually to the effect that Rangers are not to be taken prisoner. Carrying the 'signature" is a good way to be treated like a Ranger by them..."Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country."..."Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor." the last two paragraphs of the Ranger Creed, so if you can't live up to the creed, don't carry the signature And there are some who see much it like a "LEG" wearing Jump Boots

Take care...Jim..."Rangers Lead the way"
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Nice, but how the hell you can open a bottle of wine with that ?? So it won't be allowed for us ... [attachment=16351:cma_ping..._accueil.gif]
    Attached Files
    " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Naw, just give it a round house swing just below the cork and voila! whine bottle is open! I imagine you could also modify the handle with the addition of a folding cork screw...or just carry a Swiss Army knife like I do You French troops really need some good Suid Afrikanse/American advisors

take care my friend...Jim
      "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Jim, jim, jim here's the real french way to do the job : lol
        http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3x49j_sa...-a-la-hache_fun
        " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Nice, very nice. Thanks Jim.
          "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Thank you Vince!

Was I the only one waiting for the bottle opener to chop his toes a bit? Bubbly not too bubbly, lol. Soo-jin says "tell Dom to just use bayonet to open wine bottles, eiaaah! whack! Not cut foot off. Why not just unscrew cap or buy in box? makgeolli come in plastic bottle with tops like Pepsi, easy open, boxes too." hahahaha " Korean juice box, just shake first..."

Yeah, it's early here.

Take care...Jim

Comment

Nice Hawk...wouldn't mine having one of those.
              "Flawed But Repeatable"

Comment

Just watch out for the Cold Steel copy. I have one of each and while the Cold Steel hawk is good but it does not balance as well.
                It is a lot of fun to through these.

Comment

The Cold Steel copy is what I carried in the Corps.

Great write-up (as usual), Jim.
                  www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
                  X