Eotech, Not Just For Your M4 Anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eotech, Not Just For Your M4 Anymore

Here's a use for the EoTech I've used for awhile. Some SWSs do not have back up iron sights, and when needed and they are not there all sorts of gastric juices get flowing along with that cold feeling of doom and gloom. Well almost all, will not say every 'cause some body will come up with a TASCO Weaver copy used by..., US SWS have a 1913 type base. The M24, M40A1 and M86 use the same modified 1913 such as Leupold makes as their MK 4 one piece base. I can only talk about the one piece, haven't tried this on a two piece(who would want a two piece on a field weapon I don't know). At any rate, on both full length 1913 or the Mk 4 one piece the EoTech will mount and is solid. It will stand removal and remounts with minimal loss of zero, tried it, yeah it works So now if your weapon has no back up, just remove the day opric, mount your EoTech, zero, stow in ruck and whne needed for what ever you have a back up for you weapon Just make sure to mount it on the front set of slots, this alows sure ejection of empties, tried that too

Here's apic mounted on the Leupold MK 4 one piece base ona M86 SWS in the attachment.

Take care...Jim
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Thats different. Looks like someone was using the old noodle for more then a hat rack.

Any idea how well engagement with this setup is?

Carbon :smoke:
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
    Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Comment

We had a previous post asking about "why use the smaller batteries" this would seem to be a reason. If covering the ejection port is an issue, the AA 552 would probably be too long wouldn't it?
      Dave Bahde

Training is the key to survival, the harder you train, the more likely you are to survive!

Comment

With some of the longer bases I bet this would work even better.
        Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
        Thomas

Comment

Now I gotta play with my C-more!
          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Hi Carbon;

What type engagement?

If you mean the optic to the rail, it's very secure. EoTech only has one cross bolt and engagement in the forward slot of the Mk 4 base is most secure and solid.

Engagement of targets is just like on a M4. I zero the 1moa center dot for 300 meters. A centermass shot is no problem at ranges from 0 to 400 meters off hand. The Eotech will allow you to complete your mission if the regular day optic fails, and it will allow you to defend yourself and team if need be.

I was thinking one afternoon about what could be done if the day optic failed on a M86 SWS in either 7.62x51mm or .300WM failed, no back up irons for the system. Tossed around carrying a duplicate M1, but is to big IMHO. I most always carry a M4A1 with both the 4x32mm ACOG and an Eotech in the ruck for defense. With a 300 meter zero for the SWS even if I had to use the EoTech for CQB/MOUT, on the M4, the optic would still be good enough for CM hits at these ranges, just adjust aiming point mentally to between belt buckle and bottom chest pocket line or just use the BUIS(can also make a rapid rezero using BUIS for a M4 300 meter zero if ya want to be back on zero by aligning the dot with the irons sight picture).

With practice you can engage targets out to app. the same ranges you can with the irons of the M24 SWS using hold overs and your data card.

Take care...Jim
            "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Just out of idle curiosity, have you tried using this setup at night with NODs?

Jimro
              "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

Hi Jimro;

I sure have, both on the M86 and of course the M4A1. Works fine on both.

take care...Jim

Comment

Working...
                X