X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JY
    started a topic M9, Upgrades For Reliability

M9, Upgrades For Reliability

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS UNTIL ENTIRE 8 SECTIONS ARE POSTED, THANK YOU...Jim

SECTION 1

The M9 service pistol has received some bad press during it's deployments to some of the "Garden Spots" it's been deployed to lately. Some can be fixed some can not.

The 9mm NATO round was forced upon us by our NATO Allies, pay back for the 7.62x51mm we shoved down their throats BTW. This one can't be changed, the round peforms as prescribed by the Hague. They tell use that a military round can not cause grievous wounds and undo suffering...well the 9mm does that. You can't use a , small arms round that picks the enemy up and tosses him into the next time zone or atomize him into vapor...shucks. So I guess this 9mm thing does what they state under the constraints of the Hague. Oh well, on to that which can.

Some things can be changed, habits for one. Clean your M9 when ever you get the chance. Clean the magazines inside and out, keep them dry and oil free inside oil/CLP will draw, that talc like, sand like a magnate it can also kill the primers in the rounds inside...hate when you get that loud click when you know you got a "live" round in the chamber! Keep those magazines and any spare ammo out of the direct sun or hot enclosed places, can cause higher chamber preassure with surprising results Use very little liquid lube on the weapon a drop will do, a very small drop if you do not have a lube that dries leaving a dry lubricant(Several out there take your pick).

Okay, clean it or wait for your own massive catastrophic failure, your choice again. Now there are some things within your control that can help keep your M9 running when you need it. this involves some parts changes, mainly springs of all things. Most of the parts you will need are available fromW.C. Wolff Company . Be aware that large orders come under ITAR so when you need them shipped out of CONUS, contact customer service at Wolff, they'll help you out and get you goods to you asap. This is a class company, great service bar none.

The actual work involved in the changes are simple with the only tools needed a scew driver and a few pin punches. BUT if you are military get your unit armorer to do it for you. If a civie and you have a hard time with complicated tools, like a pen or paper clip, get a gunsmith to install them
    Attached is a photo of the transplants and the patient prior to surgery.
    Attached Files

• sandsleep
    replied
    Just for those of you who have not been issued an m9, but may have a Taurus pt92 the Wolff trigger part will work with the Taurus as well, based on the installation manual on there website here. Also I know that the Wolff springs are interchangeable for anyone interested to changing anything up on the Taurus.

Leave a comment:

• Erick Gelhaus
    replied
    Copy, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JY
    replied
    Hi Erick;

The plastic GR is made by Beretta, I would contact Beretta USA for the part.

take care...Jim

Leave a comment:

• Erick Gelhaus
    replied
    JY-
    Am installing the Wolff upgrade kit in my personal 92F, any pointers to a source for the plastic GR you mentioned? Checked Brownells, no joy.

Erick

Leave a comment:

• JY
    replied
    Hi R;

They do just what they were trained to do, it's automatic. During training the safety/decocker is used after the target is engaged, re holstering and for all movement, the idea is to make it automatic, muscle memory type of thing so you do not fail to decock before holstering or other times there may be a danger of a AD. You do not want to fail to do this on the range...NEVER! LOL, the range officer will exact his fury if you do

Take care, my friend...Jim

Leave a comment:

• IraqSGT
    replied
    My finger is always straight and off the trigger until ready to fire, period. That said, I think I would prefer to decock back to DA mode with the safety on fliped back up to fire. Too bad the safety isn't as easy to manipulate on a Beretta as it is on an M16.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    Another question: the Ft. Bragg guys I mentioned run the course engaging the safety (...and of course decocking) everytime a target was not available and they had to move. Of course this is not conductive to good IPSC times, but that's another game Engaging the safety/decocker everytime you move with a M9 is safe but quite annoying due to the position of the safety and the fact that you are back to DA. Is this normal practice, or you just keep finger off the trigger if you have to move a short distance?

Leave a comment:

• IraqSGT
    replied
    Woo Hoo! I finally got my pistol back together with all the goodies. Here is the run down:

Beretta 92 Vertec
    Wolf Springs trigger spring conversion
    Main spring housing cap w/ lanyard loop
    Titanium guide spring
    Raised but not extended magazine release
    Trijicon green sights
    Sure Fire X200 Weapon light
    8 Beretta factory 15 rnd mags (new) w/ Wolf Springs +10 springs
    Tactical Tailor drop holster, 1, and 2 mag pouches
    Gemtech lanyard
    Grip taped front strap

Going shooting soon. Between the Trijicons and the light, it had better be one shot one kill! My little hot rod. Thanks for all the tips.

Leave a comment:

• JY
    replied
    Hi R;

A lot of the improvements come from "unit" funds. Many of the "ruck" SF have upgraded to the Brigadier slides and adding "tactical" lights and rails. the same for holsters and other goodies, unit funds, with the most popular the Safariland 6004 drop leg Kydex...now available in Coyote, lol!

The plain vanilla M9 is still standard issue with the crappy Check Mate magazines

take care, my friend...Jim

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    JY, I've recently seen some M9s issued to some Ft. Bragg guys, and all had the reiforced brigadier type slides, is that the way new M9s are coming or are these replacement slides? They told me those were straight out of the armorer, not personal changes.
    They also had some small lights, with a QD mount, and plastic holsters for the pistols with the lights mounted, what is normally used / issued?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JY
    replied
    Not a bad price. I'm currently mourning the loss of two PB 20 rounders, victims of a hard landing

Leave a comment:

• IraqSGT
    replied
    FYI for all: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976522895.htm

Mr. Boyer has LOTS of factory hi-cap Italian Beretta mags. I got mine in four days. Great experience!

Leave a comment:

• IraqSGT
    replied
    [/b]

Now that is funny! Alright, no on the Check Mates. Oh, I am Stateside right now and have been since June '03. Between deployments I suppose. Two years out of Iraq is enough, I need a break.

I'm just gearing up for round II. I tried to get back last year, but the Army said I couldn't go with the Marines.

Cliff notes: Former Grunt (4 yrs), got out. Checked in two years later to go to Iraq w/ friends goofy Reserve unit. Got back didn't like it. Transfered to AZ NG. Got call to go to Iraq w/ Grunts. Me "Hell yeah." Army, "Hell no." Year later they say' "You still want to go?" Me, "Okay." Now you are all up to speed.

So, any other advised gear or advice in general? I have stocked up on M-16 mags (13) plus I am getting 6 HK steel mags. Got my .223 and 9mm bore snakes, leapers 3x9 AR scope, bicycle tube bands, Garmin GPS, drop pistol holster, drop mag pouch, Molle 6 mag bandoleer (modified), Surfires (3) batteries, bulbs, mounts, and filters, duck bag, Gerber, tactical sling, Oakley goggles, Binos, graphite powder gun lube, dental picks, 550, chord, all kinds of tape...

Are the fancy T-shirts worth the money? Any other must have gear that I haven't mentioned? What is the living conditions there? Internet? Can we get to a PX? What do I need in care packages?

Leave a comment:

• JY
    replied
    Hi IS;

The trigger pull is much smoother and, I have to guess no guages here around 8 lbs. The big plus is the new spring does not break like the crummy stock wire job does. This is not for competition unless you consider OEF or OIF competition Where did I get the pistol? Uh, they issue them. Springs? Wolff makes the springs.

Check Mate magazines SUX. The stupid parkerizing on the inside just adds to the dragg, add a little talc like sand and they hang up solid. I have a couple stashed for a down time project to see if there's a way to make the things feed in the field, an easy way without to much specialized stuff needed. Been thinking about stripping the insides to bare metal and using a bake on teflon type finish on the inside. The teflon should act like a lube and add the + powered magazine springs should work like a charm and still look like Check Mates on the outside. Best to get Beretta magazines and be done with it, Hi Caps are legal now in the states so get some one to buy you some and up grade the springs.

Extended mag release in soft tactical type holsters are asking for trouble, if you use one keep a Check Mate in the weapon, when you loose it it won't upset you, you're only loosing trash
    Take care...Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X