This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M9, Upgrades For Reliability

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS UNTIL ENTIRE 8 SECTIONS ARE POSTED, THANK YOU...Jim

SECTION 1

The M9 service pistol has received some bad press during it's deployments to some of the "Garden Spots" it's been deployed to lately. Some can be fixed some can not.

The 9mm NATO round was forced upon us by our NATO Allies, pay back for the 7.62x51mm we shoved down their throats BTW. This one can't be changed, the round peforms as prescribed by the Hague. They tell use that a military round can not cause grievous wounds and undo suffering...well the 9mm does that. You can't use a , small arms round that picks the enemy up and tosses him into the next time zone or atomize him into vapor...shucks. So I guess this 9mm thing does what they state under the constraints of the Hague. Oh well, on to that which can.

Some things can be changed, habits for one. Clean your M9 when ever you get the chance. Clean the magazines inside and out, keep them dry and oil free inside oil/CLP will draw, that talc like, sand like a magnate it can also kill the primers in the rounds inside...hate when you get that loud click when you know you got a "live" round in the chamber! Keep those magazines and any spare ammo out of the direct sun or hot enclosed places, can cause higher chamber preassure with surprising results Use very little liquid lube on the weapon a drop will do, a very small drop if you do not have a lube that dries leaving a dry lubricant(Several out there take your pick).

Okay, clean it or wait for your own massive catastrophic failure, your choice again. Now there are some things within your control that can help keep your M9 running when you need it. this involves some parts changes, mainly springs of all things. Most of the parts you will need are available fromW.C. Wolff Company . Be aware that large orders come under ITAR so when you need them shipped out of CONUS, contact customer service at Wolff, they'll help you out and get you goods to you asap. This is a class company, great service bar none.

The actual work involved in the changes are simple with the only tools needed a scew driver and a few pin punches. BUT if you are military get your unit armorer to do it for you. If a civie and you have a hard time with complicated tools, like a pen or paper clip, get a gunsmith to install them
    Attached is a photo of the transplants and the patient prior to surgery.
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

SECTION 2

There's one part that the armorer or for a civie Beretta can supply. If you have a steel recoil spring guide get the poly one...never thought I would endorse a poly part But the plastic thing has grooves in it...it's fluted in new speak lol. This gives the sand(and ice) a place to go instead of binding up the rod and slide. This can slow down the slides cycling speed that can cause a failure to feed or extract. Be sure to clean those "flutes" out each time you clean your weapon.

here's a photo of the guide rod.
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

SECTION 3

There is an additonal advantage to the poly guide rod, the end has a flange on it, this also acts like a recoil buffer saving your frame from bashing.

In the field you can check the sand build up by first removing your magazine and the clearing the weapon and locking the slide to the rear. Check the flutes for any sand build up.

Attached a photo of the rod with slide locked to rear.
      Attached Files

Comment

SECTION 4

Magazines seem to cause a LOT of problems in all weapons, the M9 is no exception. One easy aid in keeping the sand out to a degree is to place a small section of Scotch "Magic Tape" over the round counter witness holes on the back of the magazine. This area will cause the most problems with magazines jamming up, the base of the cartridges drag here and any grit will slow them down or stop the all togather. The tape will keep the sand from seeping in there.

This drag will still be present 'cause that talc crap will still get in through the top and magazine catch hole. Well ya can't seal them..well ya can but you'll need to remove any such sealer before you use the magazine...not a good idea need speedy reloads. So you need to fight that binding up, what to do? Well here's the first Wolff part number. You want to order Stock number 74073 "Pistol Magazine Spring +10% Extra Power", this number is for the three pack get one spring each for each magazine you have. The 10% addition power in the spring will give you a 10% advantage to a normal spring in powering through that grit build up. Remember that even if the magazine is feeding the grit can slow it down to the point that it the slide will actually move so fast the magazine will not lift the round fast enough to be fed as the slide speeds forward resulting in an empty chamber..not good for a fine day.

Here's a comparison of the new spring bottom and a regular spring top in this attachment.
        Attached Files

Comment

SECTION 5

Here's a problem that happens to weapons fairly regularly. Now some weapons may already have this modification and some may not. Thank the INS for this new set up, they ran into the problem and bothered Wolff until they made a new assembly just for the M9/M92.

The problem is the piano wire spring Beretta made for the trgger return spring breaks with hard use.

If you have a trigger return spring that looks like this one, you have the original Beretta one that breaks.
          Attached Files

Comment

SECTION 6

The new assembly has a couple things that will also keep your M9 running in the sand. The cam pin holding the new coil spring is NP3 coated to improve lubricity...don't oil it. Flush the grit out with gun scrubber solvent or air preassure. Part number you want is 32371 "TriggerConversion Unit, Factory Std.Model". It comes with full instructions about it's installation so who ever is doing the conversion can do it in less than 5 minutes...if ya get some coffe and such
            In this attachment the old trigger return spring is at the top and the new bottom.
            Attached Files

Comment

SECTION 7

Here's what the conversion unit looks like in your weapon after your done. IF your weapon already looks like this you saved some money
              Attached Files

Comment

SECTION 8

That covers the main problems. But there a few that can occur, if you have any of these mentioned below below i've included the parts numbers.

Recoil springs can overcome a slight build up of sand by the replacement of the stock spring with a heavier one. part number 13190 "Recoil Calibration Pak" will give your armorer a 15,16, 18, and a 20 lbs recoil spring to decide which would operate the best in the units weapons.

Hammer springs usually function well, but sand can enter through the magazine well. Extra strength springs are available as part number 26505 "Hammer Spring Pak" again this contains one each of 16,17,18, and 19 lbs springs to testing.

I haven't found the need for these changes...yet. But have used them in the past with good results. IF the need is there and problems have shown the need then by all means give them a try.

Attached is a photo of the pin in the lower frame to remove to install the hammer springs. push in on the lanyard ring, and hold on partner, while pushing the pin out. To assemble replace spring oush lanyard cap in and insert a drift pin to hold assembly togather, then push retaining pin through following drift.

This is by no way all the cures, but I hope it cures a few, if it helps one trooper deployed I'll be happy.

Take care and God bless...Jim
                Attached Files

Comment

Had some down time today, and was doing the transplant work on my M9, which had siezed up awhile back, and thought this info may be of use to the members and visitors here. Gotta watch out when I get free time

Take care, my friend...Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim! Good pics too, as always, sometimes I think you are a photographer posing as a ranger :lol:

All the double stack mags tapering to single feed are somewhat finicky about sand and dust because the rounds have to rotate when they move up.
                    I think the commercial Beretta is a decent pistol, but I don't like the many small parts and complicated detail strip (nothing beats the 1911 or glock for simplicity).
                    In your experience, does the open slide presents any problems with dust/sand/mud?
                    Do you really have to change the slide after 15,000 rounds or so?

Comment

Any of them parts got NSNs to em?
                      "Speed is fine. Accuracy is final." - Larry Vickers

LGOP: a small group of ?pissed-off American paratroopers? who are well trained, armed to the teeth, and lack serious supervision. They collectively remember the commander's intent as, "March to the sound of guns, and kill anyone who isn't dressed like you ..."

Comment

Hi R;

LOL, thanks I get some practice with the cameras

Know what you mean about the bottle neck in the magazines. The 10% heavier spring seems to help out a lot, you can still load it without to much more thumb preassure

Take care, my friend...Jim

Hi James, nope, no NSNs on the parts strickly unit purchase, I.N.S. is getting the trigger spring conversions for thier 96Ds so there has to be a GSA source for them . If I find one I'll email ya.

Keep the sand out of your mess tray in that nice, big, new mess hall...or are ya'all callin' it a resturaunt ...Jim...mess tray, heck you Cav guys probably got china <_<

Comment

I'm still living in a FOB dangit-the humorous part is that Camp Victory gets hit worse than we do...

We have no china ( lots of stuff made in china, but no china ), unless them issued paper/cardboard trays in the chow hall count....
                          "Speed is fine. Accuracy is final." - Larry Vickers

LGOP: a small group of ?pissed-off American paratroopers? who are well trained, armed to the teeth, and lack serious supervision. They collectively remember the commander's intent as, "March to the sound of guns, and kill anyone who isn't dressed like you ..."

Comment

yeah, yeah. And ya gotta walk a mile to the chow line, up hill both ways Probably got DROs waiting on you hand and foot, rushing fresh cold milk to ya by the gallon, cow milk too, not dang old goat

Keep your six down James, those through and through, through and throughs get a lot o'laughs at the club :lol: But make it hard to sit down for a cool one Take care, my friend...Jim

Comment

Interesting reading JY, thanks for taking the time to post it all. Though I will never own a M9 even if someone gives it to me, it never hurts to have more knowledge in the tool box.
                              "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
                              Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X