Let's talk Military rifles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk Military rifles

Let's talk about military weapons, rifles, pistols, automatic weapons and their accessories, ammo, history post photos of your favorites. Over the decades, ain't gonna admit to how many, but I did get a STEN MK II legally delivered to my mail box by the US postal service, and ammuntion and rifles by Rail Road Express...yep I'm old Over the years I've probably owned most military bolt rifles and most semi auto's...M-1 Carbine like new $39.95 plus RR Express fees. I've owned and carried a 1911 since I was 14 years old, $17.00 from the NRA So let's see what you have, do some "gun talk" and if I can help you with information I'd be glad to help! LOL, there was a department store when I was a kid that had rows of .303 Enfield rifles with about every model made. Most were in exc condition with matching numbers. I bought a No.1 Mk III with magazine cut off, the brass stock disc and sling for $12.95. And 100 rds of .303 service ammo in chargers for $5.00 Went back and bought some soft point a bagged a antelope

I'll start with my favorite military rifle. It's a 98K, byf 41, overall condition is niiiice, all matching serial numbers, bore is a little dark (common on rifles firing corrossive ammuntion and oiver 60 years old) but rifling is sharp no pits just not as shiney as new. Shoots great...oh, yeah, I shoot my weapons no safe queens. At any rate here's my 98K:
    [attachment=14533SC00001.JPG]

In reference to my last question on the question keep it going thread. It has the range marked on both sides of the rear sight leaf, along with all milled parts and long cleaning rod. It also has a laminated stock with "cupped butt plate". In the photo it has the rubber muzzle cover and front sight hood. The byf code stands for Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf a/N, the priginal Mauser Werke. The 41 the year 1941. it has it's "Reiningungsgerat 34" cleaning kit, issue Seitengewehre (bayonet) which is called a sidearm, and issue sling.

Who's next?

Take care...Jim
    Attached Files
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

I've have a Nazi k98 (Which is now an accurized .308 that my son shoots), a Mod. 73 Springfield trap Door and a 1903 Springfield. I sold the Lee Enfield, SKS, Swedish Mauser and AK-74 to pay for an accurized AR-15. I used to see M1 Carbines at gun shows for under $300. "Who would want a pistol cartridge in a rifle?" Wish I had gotten one then....

Steve

Comment

I'll have to post pics as soon as I take 'em. The only milsurp I have right now is a 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand. Got it from the CMP at Camp Perry and she shoots as good as she looks. I've shot 1.5MOA groups, iron-sighted, at 100yds. Prone with a loop sling.

I had an M1 Carbine, made by Rockola, wish I still had her. I've owned a couple of Krag-Jorgensen's and numerous and various SMLE's. Gotta get another SMLE.....

Want a K31 Swiss, also.
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I have and regularly shoot a Mosin Nagant with a 1924 hex receiver. I also have a Yugo 24/47 Mauser I enjoy shooting. We have a Mauser Match League at the local gun club where we shoot pre-1964 bolt action military rifles. I shoot nothing but surplus ball ammunition. The Mauser Match boys have a saying, "Recoil is fun!"
        MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

The only one I have is my 1903-A4. The action and fire control parts are all mil-surplus, but the barrel, stock, and scope are all modern. I do love handling that rifle though. My Dad had an 03 that had been "sporterized" by cutting down the stock.

I don't know how you can handle an old rifle like those without feeling the guys that carried and used them. I love that.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

I have a Mosin m44 (Hungarian), and a Jap model 44 in 6.5.
            " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
            '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

I have had a trio of Mosin-Nagant 91/30's, a 1943 round Tula, and two 1938 hex Tulas for the last year or two. They had dark bores, but that cleaned up after about 100rd of steel jacketed surplus down the chute. Like most wartime Mosins, they have been counterbored. I intend to extend the counterbores (very) slightly in order to "clean up"(?) the "hidden crown" and equalize the actual bore lengths and facilitate load development.

I worked out a project to add inexpensive optics, as well as Limbsavers and stock packs, to improve the ergonomics in an affordable manner. The object has been to make aiming simpler, and the rifle somewhat less intimidating for my Grandkids to shoot with Spamcan Surplus ammo.

The end result has been a matched trio of Scout-scoped rifles which have stable mounts, a minimum scope height above the bore, allow stripper loading, and have a workable cheek weld position. The added mass and Limbsaver reduce recoil to a level my 120lb Granddaughter can tolerate; but she still gives it the fisheye, so I'm working at developing milder handloads using 125gr Nosler BT's. The "system" consists solely of a pair of heavy duty medium height airgun rings, mounted to the barrel's sight dovetail after the rear sights are removed. The scope is a cheapo AIM Sports 2-7x40 LER Scout Scope. The entire cost of rings and scope comes to under $100 per rifle. Not elegant, but serviceable, probably better optics than the wartime sniper scopes, and it all gets done with no gunsmithing and no irreversible alterations to the original rifle.

The other Mil rifles I own are a pristine pre-WWII Garand; plus two SKS, an old Norinco, and an as-yet-unfired Yugo. The Garand, while being in especially good shape, has been modified with a butt extension and an insert-style hooded front sight, plus the N/M .052" diameter peep with the 1/2MOA rotary adjustment. With basic Hornady 150gr FMJ Garand-tailored handloads, it consistently shoots 2MOA or better at 100yd, on NRA N/M Targets. I shoots pretty much the same MOA at 200yd and 250yd as well. The front sight insert is a ring, so target diameter is less of an issue.

Greg

Comment

I had a Walther G43, all numbers matching. It was a jewel! It had a period correct scope and mount ( aftermarket ) one of the cleanest old rifles you will find.
                " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

Nice weapons all! I had a K-43 about mint, and do regret trading it off!

Has anyone tried using a bore lapping kit to clean up a dark bore? or anyone have a favorite method to do such?

take care...Jim
                  "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

[quote]
                    ........I do regret trading it

take care...Jim[/b]
                    Having read numerous postings from this site and reviewing hundreds of transaction of my own, I ask the following question. What is the name of the sickness/maddness from which we suffer, dumb assness?????
                    I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                    "Dogs best friend"
                    "Every dog needs a friend"
                    "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                    "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                    " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                    " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                    (All the above, Yours Truly
                    The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

new rifle...must have...[attachment=16928:drooling_20homer.gif]
                      Attached Files

Comment

[quote]
                        new rifle...must have...[attachment=16928:drooling_20homer.gif][/b]
                        Can't be the answer!!! How many "new rifles" of the same kind of weapons have "we/you" procured, only to sell them off and wind up getting like kind or the very same weapon back?????
                        I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                        "Dogs best friend"
                        "Every dog needs a friend"
                        "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                        "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                        " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                        " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                        (All the above, Yours Truly
                        The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

LOL, true..I owned the very same British marked M-1 Garand 4 times already Maybe it has to due with a similar affliction like the 'shiny thing" syndrome.

Comment

Picked up a Garand from Tony Giacobbe (GarandGuy.com) several years back, can't seem to find any pics at the moment.

My favorite military rifle is the Vietnam bring-back I inherited from my Father:

Vietnam SKS

The target in the slideshow was the first time I took it out. I have since adjusted the front site (and used a front bag) and it's right on the money at 50 yds.
                            NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Comment

All I have in the stable right now is an M1 Garand. I've owned carbines, 1903's, 1917's and a slew of various models of Smellies.

I'll buy a Lee Enfield, shoot the piss out of it, get bored, sell it, wonder why I sold it, buy another. I'm now in the "I need another one mode", but haven't found a good deal on the right one. Besides, looking at buying a different sorta Brit right now.......a '79 MGB Roadster.
                              www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
                              X