• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]
    <div class='quotemain'>
    I don't have the one above (in RYU's post), but I do have the bigger one--

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE125-41518-514.html

My wife bought it for me after I told her I couldn't find a pack in the 200-250 dollar range (at the Shot Show)that I liked. She bought it as sort of a joke-- she said that if I break it, rip it, and or thrash it, she wont get mad, cause it was so inexpensive. I say inexpensive and not "cheap" for a reason...

When she handed it to me I thought there are a brick in it, it's freak'en heavy (6lbs)!

But you know what...[/b]
    For what it's worth, this Cheaper Than Dirt pack is the EXACT same pack as the more expensive Camelbak BFM, minus the bladder (which costs like $11.00). I have both, and the only differences are some cosmetic logos added to the BFM back panel and fastex buckles. The top of the pack straps also differ in attachment - I actually like the CTD method better. I have a feeling these might even be made in the same factory, they are so close to being identical.

I've been carrying my BFM all summer for day trips of 3-10 miles, and it works great with 25-40 pounds in it. I'll be setting the CTD copy as a bugout bag, with similar contents, but set up for 3 days of survival "off the grid" in case of emergency or natural disaster. I also got the matching CTD drag bag for $89, and it is a winner as well.
    [/b]

I have one of these CamelBak BFM clones that I bought from a vendor I met at SHOT. I had to send the first one back because the bladder compartment blew out. The guy was very cooperative, though, he exchanged it quickly and wanted to know about the failure so they could get it corrected at the factory. The second one has now blown out part of the pen/pencil divider in the small front compartment. No big deal to me, but still a PITA.

Mine has been to Greece and back, and I use it all the time. Other than the two problems mentioned above, they are great packs. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
    --Hawk
    There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

My Eberlestock phantom arrived a few days ago. I carry a Tactical Operations tango 51 with a suppressor and it does fit. I plan to do some hiking this week with the kit (using a 2x4 to simulate the rifle so as not to get unwanted attention) and early december I am going to a 5 day HSS school. I'll give the pack a run through and let you folks know what happens.

Comment

Just got back from a great 5 day school put on by HSS Inc. There were 14 of us in the class. We did some pretty interesting drills. one of them was running down the range with our rifles in hand and our packs on. At a random point determined by the instructor he would yell, "DOWN!" and we would have to immediately go prone and take a shot on our target. I used my Phantom and used it as a platform. It worked very well, and it handled being thrown down onto a very dusty/dirty ground numerous time.

We also did a 4 hours hike/stalk and the back worked great. It was nice to have my hands free while trying to climb up through brush and trees. I did forget once or twice that the butt of my rifle was sticking up as high as my head when I tried to go under a branch.

We did night shooting as well. The light colored interior made locating gear much easier.

By the end of the class several folks had asked me about the pack and written down the name.

Comment

If you can afford it and your life depends on the pack I would have to go with the Kifaru no matter what size you need. They are fantastic kit, probably the best made stuff you can get. I have owned a few, still have one left. That thing has been with me all over the country. My second choice if I had to carry a rifle is the Eberlstock stuff. I have a phantom I have been using for quite some time now, and I have had it on some pretty serious hikes and runs up the back country. It has held up very well, and it carries my M14 with ease. I keep all my sniper kit in there with the M14. It has proven very useful and very versatile. It would be really solid for sniper comps.

I don't have the BFM, but I have a Camelback pack I bought several years ago that has held up to everyting I have sent its way. They do not make it anymore, but at the time it was one of their biggest. It was before they even got into the military / LEO market. I have taken it cross country skiing, hiking with the dogs in the backcounry, and am currently using it as a workout bag. It is big enough to use on 3 day trips on a plane, yet it compacts well enough to just use it for my gym bag. It has never missed a beat. I would not hesitate a minute to buy another one from them. I also have one of their tactical vests, and if you want a good LBV it is pretty hard to beat, especially if you want to carry a bladder. I have trained with it quite a bit, and on a hot day out here it is really solid. It is one of the most comfortable LBV setups I have ever used. Camelback makes very sold stuff at least in my experience.
          Dave Bahde

Training is the key to survival, the harder you train, the more likely you are to survive!

Comment

I would like to vote for the Eberlestock x 1 s. Moderate price, good company rerutation, quality and on and on.
            Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto " You cannot Invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

yours truly ,, Ron

Out here. not quite in touch with reality. Nant-y-glo PA.. In the Allegheny Mountains, the first frontier: U S N ---1967-1971&gt;&gt;&gt; One Nation under GOD, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Whether they like it, or not.

Comment

Although I have a full sized ALICE, I much prefer my Blackhawk Hydrastorm. Weight is the issue - much lighter, that said there is, of course, a trade off on space. The Blackhawk is much more comfortable to wear and tote around. Weight can be a real enemy in its own right.
              Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est. - "Knowledge is power." - Francis Bacon
              σημεια δὲ τοις πιστεύσασι ταυτα παρακολουθήσει· εν τω ονόματί μου δαιμόνια - "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons." - Mark 16:17

Comment

1) What Pack you chose?
                Eberlestock phantom

2) Why you Chose it?(Recommendation, Price, availability, warranty, Prior purchase with manufacturer, customer service with company)
                Recommendation, saw them at the Team sniper match

3) Would you purchase same pack if you had to do it all over again? If not, Why?
                50/50, there could be more room, and a better secured scabbard/drag bag

4) Price you paid, where and when you purchased it.
                $275 ish

5) Easy of packing and unpacking?
                Very, it all unpacks from the top when laying prone.

6) Comfort level? Both Short and long humps. (This includes comfort of the shoulder straps and waist band/belt/pad.)
                Very! But..the scabbard causes the load to shift a bit here and there.

7) Modifications made to assist in comfort(Purchased new shoulder straps, waist band/belt/pads, new frames,etc. Also mention which companies you purchased said items from)
                Painted a Punisher scull on it....cmon we all have to feed our inner gear queer.

8) Pros of Pack choice
                Built tuff, strong thought process in relation to deployability.

9) Cons of Pack choice
                Made in China, Scabbard needs development, not alot of room in the storage area

10) Durability of material?
                Tits!

11) Accessory Options used?(Additional add-ons like pouches, etc.)
                Full Molly, so options are abundant.

12) Any changes you feel would make the pack choice better?
                Refer to above....

Comment

[quote]
                  9) Cons of Pack choice
                  Made in China, Scabbard needs development, not alot of room in the storage area[/b]
                  Made in Vietnam actually.
                  "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

i had the camelbak BFM when i was still in. i recently sold it as it was in ACU so i could get something a little more effective, color that is. The BFM was a great pack. it survived a couple trips to afghanistan and iraq. it was my go to pack. it rode in the back of the 1151 piled ontop of everything else and dragged through hell. was comfy for all day foot patrols in the mountains of a-stan and was strong enough to drag me through the snow while we were digging some pakistani army guys out of an avalanche.

im looking at getting another one, may look into the clones from CTD as this will be a BOB mostly for me anymore. not quite as serious of an assault pack.

Comment

[quote]
                      <div class='quotemain'>9) Cons of Pack choice
                      Made in China, Scabbard needs development, not alot of room in the storage area[/b]
                      Made in Vietnam actually.
                      [/b]
                      That is what I have against most packs. They have a factory in Saigon, Where I think all are made.
                      Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto " You cannot Invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

yours truly ,, Ron

Out here. not quite in touch with reality. Nant-y-glo PA.. In the Allegheny Mountains, the first frontier: U S N ---1967-1971&gt;&gt;&gt; One Nation under GOD, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Whether they like it, or not.

Comment

Since this floated back up, I'll update my thoughts.

I've rethought my Eberlestock Phanthom. I was thinking I needed to dump it, as I wasn't completely happy with the scabbard setup and stability sans frame.

However, after the weekend chasing coyotes around Southern Illinois, I've had a paradigm shift. Once you get all the side tension/compression straps set correctly, that thing carries great.

I had 6 liters of water, 90 rounds of .260, 40 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck, my bear suit, extra gore-tex, extra expedition weight poly pro, extra socks, my survival kit, IFAK, the basic field load and it was more of a hassle to get in and out of the truck than it was to carry it. I never had a problem carrying that load no matter where we went. As a matter of fact it was quite comfortable. It also was an excellent stable shooting platform when sitting in cover. It sat upright very well.

Very nice kit and I'm keeping it.
                        "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Just waited six weeks, and spent $240.00 for Kifaru Scout. In Unicam. I think I have found, a damn good day bag/

PS, I have a strong ad-version to things made in Vietnam.

yours truly ,, Ron

Comment

Hey Guys,
                            I've been rocking a Mystery Ranch Big Sky in Multicam for a few months now, and have to say it's one of the best packs I've ever had. Everything about the pack says attention to detail and overkill. From internal piping over the seams , to the water seals on the zippers, the soft neoprene liner on the top pocket to help protect lenses on goggles/glasses, to the over engineered and self locking buckles. The straps come with their own double sided velcro strap keepers, so you can roll the excess and secure it for no loose straps. The pack shoulder straps even have velcro adjustable channels for securing and routing hydration tubes. Here's a few quick pictures borrowed from the net...

The materials are top notch. It's got an internal frame and is very comfortable to ruck out fully loaded. The best part is the trizip feature. It's completely secure; I've had the ruck loaded heavy and never felt concern the zippers would blow out. It opens right up so you aren't digging and shifting your load around to find something. You can basically load your pack like a suitcase. It makes it very convenient. It's got a nice combination of MOLLE/PALS and civilian/mountaineering daisy chains and ice axe loops for cinching things up to. There are two elasticized external pockets sized for Naglene bottles, with sleeves behind them for skis, machetes or samurai swords . It's also got a folding "tail" pocket called a "stick it" pocket, that can be used for carrying longer loads against the pack like skis, fishing poles, or rifles. It can buckle around itself to hold the base, while the two heavy weight compression straps hold the longer item. There are also multiple cinch points if additional security is needed. Might make a convenient place, if non tactical, for your stick if you need your hands for climbing. When the pocket is cinched against the pack, it's pleated and polymer reinforced in such a way, that it actually rolls over and around items, so it secures oddly shaped items like a helmet very well.

For lighter loads, the waist belt can be folded up and rotated into it's own pockets on either side of the pack. (See the little black buckles) Once secured in their pockets, the lower part of the pack becomes very streamlined, and only the shoulder straps remain. It's a cool little feature and more more part of the overkill of this pack.

It's 2800 CIs, puts it a little larger then a 3DAP, but is also expandable due to the aforementioned PALS by adding additional external pockets. Now, I should mention that mine was a special limited run in the model/color combination, but they do offer almost exactly the same pack with a slightly stronger/heavier frame in the Multicam Big Horn. They have several models of packs designed to carry light to grossly heavy loads securely and comfortably. As a matter of fact, their huge expedition grade pack frames are what they are really known for. I'm planning on picking one up myself...

If you've never heard of Mystery Ranch, do yourself a favor and check them out. By those in the know, they are considered to be every bit the equal of a Kifaru, at a slightly lower price and much faster turn around. If you've ever heard of Dana Designs as in Dana Gleason, who sold his company to one of the big names a while back, then you know Mystery Ranch. Dana couldn't stay outta the business, so after selling his first company, he opened Mystery Ranch.
                            I've also got a couple of Kifaru's Gun Bearer parts on order to add the weapon tote feature to the pack...
                            Respectfully,
                            Harry
                            PS
                            Oh, and did I mention they are completely made in Bozeman Montana? So for those so interested it's 100% American owned and made...
                            PPS
                            I did mention is was Multicam, right?
                            "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                            "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

[quote]
                              Since this floated back up, I'll update my thoughts.

I've rethought my Eberlestock Phanthom. I was thinking I needed to dump it, as I wasn't completely happy with the scabbard setup and stability sans frame.

However, after the weekend chasing coyotes around Southern Illinois, I've had a paradigm shift. Once you get all the side tension/compression straps set correctly, that thing carries great.

I had 6 liters of water, 90 rounds of .260, 40 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck, my bear suit, extra gore-tex, extra expedition weight poly pro, extra socks, my survival kit, IFAK, the basic field load and it was more of a hassle to get in and out of the truck than it was to carry it. I never had a problem carrying that load no matter where we went. As a matter of fact it was quite comfortable. It also was an excellent stable shooting platform when sitting in cover. It sat upright very well.

Very nice kit and I'm keeping it.[/b]
                              I have thae phantom in Coyote brown.........Snap a pick of it sitting upright and your load out in that main storage section?Heres Mine, we all know I have a propensity to get stupid with the spray can....

Comment

Hunter, if your referring to the shoot, it is canceled buddy. We don't have a range at the moment.
                                CelticRaven

-- Poor is the country with no heroes and worse yet, is the country that forgets its heroes.

Plan for what CAN happen, not what HAS happened.
                                --CelticRaven

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                                --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X