Remington 700 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 700 questions

Hey Guys really need advice and figured you guys would know best. I have a remington 700 adl synthetic stock chambered in 30-06. I just put a timney trigger in it. I want to upgrade where I can cause I can't afford a new rifle due to a new child. I was looking at floating the barrel but I heard the stock is so cheap it's not worth it. Just need some experts advice. Possibly new stock options that would be good for bedding the barrel. Thanx a lot guys!

Welcome to Paradise!

Yep, the Tupperware stock that comes with your ADL isn't the best choice if you're wanting to wrong the most accuracy out of your rifle.

If you're working on a budget, you've got a few options. Someone's used, take-off stock from a Remington 700 Sendero, Mil Spec 5R or PSS in a long action caliber will do the trick for around $250.

Also, you can check out the Bell & Carlson Medalist and Tactical Medalist at Stocky's Stocks.

If you're wanting to sink some $ into it, a Manners or McMillan stock are both top notch.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
      Welcome to Paradise!

Yep, the Tupperware stock that comes with your ADL isn't the best choice if you're wanting to wrong the most accuracy out of your rifle.

If you're working on a budget, you've got a few options. Someone's used, take-off stock from a Remington 700 Sendero, Mil Spec 5R or PSS in a long action caliber will do the trick for around $250.

Also, you can check out the Bell & Carlson Medalist and Tactical Medalist at Stocky's Stocks.

If you're wanting to sink some $ into it, a Manners or McMillan stock are both top notch.[/b]

ok awesome that helps alot thank you so much. i will look into those stocks. So even the lower priced ones you mentioned would be good candidates to do a bedding job?

Comment

[quote]
        Welcome to Paradise!

If you're wanting to sink some $ into it, a Manners or McMillan stock are both top notch.[/b]
        So if i went the remington sendero route, it would need to be in a long action caliber or does the remington sendero only come in what i would need (long action caliber)

Comment

Yes. Just get a long action stock and it will fit.

My last build was a 30-06 adl in a wood stock. It ended up in a 700p take off stock and it was much more solid. Doesn't matter if it's a magnum or not but just long action vs short.

Comment

[quote]
            Yes. Just get a long action stock and it will fit.

My last build was a 30-06 adl in a wood stock. It ended up in a 700p take off stock and it was much more solid. Doesn't matter if it's a magnum or not but just long action vs short.[/b]

OK AWESOME THANK YOU! yeah mine is an adl synthetic stock and i actually dont even know what the adl stands for? would the sendero need to be adl also?

Comment

Adl is a model name. It's basically the base model. The sps is the new adl as far as I know. The bdl is a bit nicer and has the hinged bottom metal.

The sendero, 5r and 700p stocks are all about the same but differ by the size of the palm swell and handguard iirc. The sendero is along the same style as your synthetic but is a much sturdier Hs precision stock. All three are Hs stocks but the 5r has a medium palm swell and forend and the 700p is even bigger.

Comment

All Senderos were long action. The description of the stock should specify short or long action.

You don't have to bed any of the Remington takeoff stocks (they're made by HS Precision, by the way). They have an aluminum bedding block. You can bed them if you want to. It may or may not improve action, but it won't hurt anything.

You will also need a set of bottom metal (trigger guard assembly with hinged floor plate). You can pick those up used as well. The ADL basically means that you don't have a dropping floor plate in front of the trigger guard. All other models have this. It can be added to an ADL.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
                  All Senderos were long action. The description of the stock should specify short or long action.

You don't have to bed any of the Remington takeoff stocks (they're made by HS Precision, by the way). They have an aluminum bedding block. You can bed them if you want to. It may or may not improve action, but it won't hurt anything.

You will also need a set of bottom metal (trigger guard assembly with hinged floor plate). You can pick those up used as well. The ADL basically means that you don't have a dropping floor plate in front of the trigger guard. All other models have this. It can be added to an ADL.[/b]

Can I keep it as a Hidden or do I have to change to the drop plate style?

Comment

If you want to keep it as an ADL, you will probably have to special order a stock. You don't ever see someone upgrading a rifle and staying with, or reverting to, an ADL setup. As a matter of fact, most folks nowadays go,with a detachable magazine setup and that requires a stock cut out for bottom metal.

Off course a detachable magazine setup is easier to load and unload, but it's more than that. The standard factory Rem700 setup is a staggered magazine and feeds from the left and right alternately. It takes some effort and you can feel the rounds feed from the magazine, since they're going in at a wonky angle. Every misfeed I've seen with the Rem700 occurred with the factory magazine system.

A detachable magazine using the AIDS magazine feeds top center. The rounds sit higher and feed almost directly into the chamber. Many novice shooters can't even tell if a round was chambered or not, it's that much of a difference over the standard system.

Anyways, I don't recommend staying with the ADL system.

Comment

[quote]
                      If you want to keep it as an ADL, you will probably have to special order a stock. You don't ever see someone upgrading a rifle and staying with, or reverting to, an ADL setup. As a matter of fact, most folks nowadays go,with a detachable magazine setup and that requires a stock cut out for bottom metal.

Off course a detachable magazine setup is easier to load and unload, but it's more than that. The standard factory Rem700 setup is a staggered magazine and feeds from the left and right alternately. It takes some effort and you can feel the rounds feed from the magazine, since they're going in at a wonky angle. Every misfeed I've seen with the Rem700 occurred with the factory magazine system.

A detachable magazine using the AIDS magazine feeds top center. The rounds sit higher and feed almost directly into the chamber. Many novice shooters can't even tell if a round was chambered or not, it's that much of a difference over the standard system.

Anyways, I don't recommend staying with the ADL system.[/b]

Ok awesome thank you for all the help! no I'm glad you said something!

Comment

Here's someone selling some factory bottom metal. The factory stuff ain't the best there is, but it will do if you're working on a budget. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_47/13...Clean_out.html

Comment

[quote]
                          Here's someone selling some factory bottom metal. The factory stuff ain't the best there is, but it will do if you're working on a budget. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_47/13...Clean_out.html[/b]

Ok so if I buy a new stock, all I need besides the stock would be the bottom metal to be shoot able?

Comment

Stock, bottom metal and a front stock bolt.

Comment

[quote]
                              Stock, bottom metal and a front stock bolt.[/b]
                              Ok awesome thank you very much! I don't mean to have so many questions, I'm mainly an archery hunter but I have recently started messing with rifles and figured this was the place to get some knowledge. And one more if you don't mind. As I'm looking at stocks, it talks about the barrel. Mine should be considered a standard right?

Comment

Working...
                              X