i need some expert advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some expert advice

Hey guys I have a 270 Weatherby Magnum and I want to mule deer hunt at long ranges . I am going to get another rifle and cant decide on the .308 or 300 Win Mag. I will be shooting 500-1000 yards. There is no way of getting any closer. That's why I come here to ask you guys. I also want to target shoot at long ranges. I am a rookie , but everyones got to start somewhere right. So what caliber, make , bullet , and optics ? thanks for helping.

[quote]
    Hey guys I have a 270 Weatherby Magnum and I want to mule deer hunt at long ranges . I am going to get another rifle and cant decide on the .308 or 300 Win Mag. I will be shooting 500-1000 yards. There is no way of getting any closer. That's why I come here to ask you guys. I also want to target shoot at long ranges. I am a rookie , but everyones got to start somewhere right. So what caliber, make , bullet , and optics ? thanks for helping.[/b]
    In that you did not state a financial condition for your endeavor you get my personal first choice. For your application a 300WM, Remington 700 is still king in my opinion. Top it off with a Nightforce scope of your informed choice. That said, the .308 will not wear out the throat as quickly - and the cost of the rounds is much less also. Another consideration is that the 300WM usually thumps a little harder; if that is an issue at all in your decision. If you reload your rounds the higher cost per round of the 300WM is somewhat abated. If you intend to get your mule deer you will need to practice. I would certainly factor that in. O.k., that is just my opinion - my guess is that you are about to get many others.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est. - "Knowledge is power." - Francis Bacon
    σημεια δὲ τοις πιστεύσασι ταυτα παρακολουθήσει· εν τω ονόματί μου δαιμόνια - "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons." - Mark 16:17

Comment

7mm mag or WSM ballistically is the best choice. If you compare a 160 grain 7mm to a 180 grain .30 cal, past 400 yards or so the 7mm has less drop, less wind drift, more energy on target and a higher velocity, all at significant less recoil. And there is not going to be enough difference in caliber size that it will make any difference on killing the animal.

A .308 or 300 wm would work, but the 7mm will do it much better than the .308 and a little better than the WM with less recoil. With WM you would have to shoot a 200+ grain bullet to get the same long range benefits you would get from the 160ish grain 7mm. Then you are talking about significant recoil.
      Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Comment

300 wm will have a better bullet selection then any 7 mm. As for accuracy nothing will hold a candle to a 300 wm. It hold more world records then anything since 1967. fact.
        "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

+1 on what Flea said. Shouldn't need multiple shots so recoil should not be a problem. If you have to shoot more than once it probably wasn't the rifle....lol
          In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

What Flea said!..... If you get into reloading down the road that 7mm etc is an option. I used to help reload when I was a kid (helper) Get a .22 cal rifle and practice,then decide.Lots of choices so little time. History for u.... in Nam the .308/7.62/30-06 and 300 Win Mag were the big 3. The M24 Army Sniper Rifle was a long action for 7.62/300 WM barrel. The Army retired this system a while back and sold them off! The Marines loved there 30-06's in Nam and cried when they were replaced.
            I buy my ammo off the shelf!...........Good luck! PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE (Buy a Snap Cap 300wm and dry fire!)
            -
            XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
            Retired Deputy Sheriff
            SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

As much as I hate to disagree with Flea, in this case I have to go with the 7mm. It is ballistically (sp?) to the .300, and for mulies would probably be the better choice. Elk, moose, and nastier critters, you may want to start thinking 300 WM.
              I'm pretty sure that in the end Flea will agree with me, that bullet placement is everything.

Stay safe,
              Mark
              "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.'
              --George Patton

"Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."

There's no such thing as "unfair advantage."
              11B4HJ3/B4

Comment

I really like my 300 WM, especially for longer shots. I'm a hand loader and it took me a Summer and about 250 rounds, loaded 5 rounds of each load at a time, but I found what MY rifle likes. I shoot the Nosler 180 BT and have taken game close and far with it. You really do have to experiment with your ammo to find the "right" one for your rifle and your application.
                Thanks,

WE

Comment

Working...
                X