Covering Optics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Optics

I've seen most suggest that a ghillie suit is a last ditch effort, but possibly using a head veil is good to go. My question centers around using material that breaks up form and shape while operating optics. Should the optic objective be left uncovered, or allowed to have material covering it as long as it's thick enough not to make observation impossible? Do any of you guys use the head veil to drape over the rifle past the scope and use a separate "wrap" for the rifle? Does material covering the optic mess with parallax or the ability to make a shot?

Obviously there's a different need for kill flash versus making a black tell tale "dot" disappear from the landscape. It would be greatly appreciated if any insight was given to this on how to create or construct what was needed and the manner in which it should be employed. Thanks ahead of time.
    ?Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    General James Mattis, USMC

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
    Yagyu Munenori

"A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by."
    John Wayne

If you are hunting animals there is not much need. If you are getting that much glare then you are facing almost directly into the sun.
    " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
    '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
      If you are hunting animals there is not much need. If you are getting that much glare then you are facing almost directly into the sun.[/b]
      It's solidly for tactical considerations, and my reference was finding the balance between kill flash, not having a black dot that will stand out in the landscape, and the ability to cover for both and still operate the optic.

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."
      Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

Get a "stiff foam "paint brush". Use to to lightly apply whatever camo colours you want on to the honey comb front of your kill flash to break up the 'washer" look. Use care not to clog the honey comb. bot using an ARD, use a net "body cover" draped over the front of the optic.

Here is an article I wrote awhile back for SP. it covers all "ghillie" for a rifle and it's optics...rifle ghillie
        [attachment=17143SC00003.JPG][attachment=17144SC00009.JPG]

Take care...Jim
        Attached Files
        "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

[quote]
          Get a "stiff foam "paint brush". Use to to lightly apply whatever camo colours you want on to the honey comb front of your kill flash to break up the 'washer" look. Use care not to clog the honey comb. bot using an ARD, use a net "body cover" draped over the front of the optic.

Here is an article I wrote awhile back for SP. it covers all "ghillie" for a rifle and it's optics...rifle ghillie
          [attachment=17143SC00003.JPG][attachment=17144SC00009.JPG]

Take care...Jim[/b]
          Thank you, sir. I was reading that article last night as well, a lot of good info there. It hadn't even occurred to me about painting an ARD. And that wrap seems to be a net with cut up pieces of commercial sniper veil tied into it?

As far as binos, I have a pair of Steiner's that I've cut "boxes" out of the caps to knock out any flash. Do you have a particular recommendation for a spotting scope? I saw in a movie once, someone use a piece of tan hosiery and a rubber band, but didn't know how Hollywood that was compared to actually practical. It still seems that either way, you're gonna still want to be under some type of cover while using either of these. With that type of cover shown above, it doesn't seem like it would interfere at all with your actual ability to see through or focus. Thanks again.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

[quote]
            <div class='quotemain'>If you are hunting animals there is not much need. If you are getting that much glare then you are facing almost directly into the sun.[/b]
            It's solidly for tactical considerations, and my reference was finding the balance between kill flash, not having a black dot that will stand out in the landscape, and the ability to cover for both and still operate the optic.
            [/b]
            Ok. By the way, any advice from JY is gtg.
            " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
            '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

[quote]
              <div class='quotemain'>
              <div class='quotemain'>If you are hunting animals there is not much need. If you are getting that much glare then you are facing almost directly into the sun.[/b]
              [/b]
              Ok. By the way, any advice from JY is gtg.
              [/b]
              You advice was appreciated as well, sir.

Yagyu Munenori

John Wayne

Comment

Make a sniper "W."

Take a piece of wielding rod, bend into a modified "W" shape. The inner peak is shaped to a circular form by bending around a circular rod a little smaller than the objective lens diameter, (now the "W" is spring loaded.) Bend the outer legs up. Make sure the outer legs are taller than the windage turret. Attach cammo. material, duct tape, a small piece of netting cammo. tape, across the two legs. Install: (slip) over objective lens. WawLLAH, The turret disappears. From the two upper legs hang a small piece of vail to the the kill Flash, letting hang over the devise.
                The "W" takes about 10 minutes to make, and 10 seconds to install.
                I stand with Israel !!!!!!!!!!!
                "Dogs best friend"
                "Every dog needs a friend"
                "Tyranny is but a mask that evil wears. Those who fail to perceive it as such, or perceiving it for what it is and deny or ignore it, are destined to be ruled and destroyed by it."
                "Good wife, good sons, good dogs, good guns, what more could one ask of life?
                " 'REAL WARRIORS NEVER CRY ' but it is permissible for their eyes to sweat from time to time"
                " Anyone who doesn't like dogs or guns, is a person never to be trusted!"
                (All the above, Yours Truly
                The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement

Comment

Working...
                X