No announcement yet.

408 CheyTac v 338 Lapua v 50 BMG / AMAX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your purpose in wanting to engage hard targets beyond 2K? Hard Target Interdiction is a military mission neither LE or civilians need the capability. Pretty much a wsate of money unless you have money to burn.

The .416 was designed to improve the payload that the pitiful .338LPM didn't have. It did that but never to the degree the plain old .50BMG already had. The .416CT was an interesting round and old friend of mine worked on the project and it resulted in a very nice rifle by WindRunner. If I had the cash back then I'd have probably bought one, hard to do on government pay checks lol.The .300WM has zip HTI capabilities, the .338LPM marginal, .416CT fair, .50BMG better that the rest. To do the job right you need one of the new 20mm or + HT weapons such as the South African NTW-20 anti material weapon. by the way, once you graduate to a usefull payload EACH round is a destructive device and requires a $200.00 transfer tax...heck you got that kind of money to burn send it over here we'll have a heck of a BBQ/steak burn for the 2ID and the ROK Army 1ID in Paju maybe even the ROKA 3ID could be included lol....AT4 or a Dragon much better

Take care...Jim
    "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

I dont understand how if the 338 lapua with a 270 grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 2900 and a 408 cheytac with a 419 grain bullet also leaving the muzzle at 2k the 408 is still going faster than the 338 how in the world would the 338 get there faster and with a bullet thats almost 150 grains heavier thats going faster its going to have quite a bit more smack on the target at all ranges from start to finish

Comment

budmanz28, could you please re-write your post. I'm not trying to be a grammar/punctuation Nazi, but that's the worst run-on sentence I have ever seen, and I can't understand it. I was going to clean it up for you and couldn't.

It was probably typed on a mobile device.........but so was this post of mine.
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Hello Trigger50
          I read your article posted in 2006 with great interest.

Your last sentence "The more interesting setup is the .375/.408, using a LRBT built .375 projectile with a .930 G1 ballistic co-efficient at a speed of 3250 fps. Those are serious numbers." was what led me to your article.

The 375 Cheytac sounds like it is a significant step up from the 338LM (I have a TRG-42 which is performing superbly) and I am considering ordering one. It will be expensive (add 40% duty, 14% VAT and shipping) and a major mission as I need to get export and import permits, so I am trying to do as much research as possible before committing.

I have read mixed reports on Cheytac and good reports on the DTA - HTI. I shoot left handed so it seems the HTI won't work for me.

I would really appreciate your views and recommendations on which way to go:
          Is the 375 Cheytac as good as it sounds?
          Is the Cheytac M300 Intervention a proposition?
          Any other rifles you know to be good that will work for a left hander?

Cheers

Comment

Trigger 50, if your still around........
            I came to some of the same conclusions you did about these calibers. Mostly from a cost to performance basis. Not to mention when I show up at the 1700 meter National Guard Range with a M200
            I would be told that the range is not built for that cartridge and therefore you can not shoot it here. So I went with a .50 and a custom 338 Lapua Magnum.

if anything what do you know about the Burger Tactical Hybrid 250 and 300 grain bullets. Before I stumbled on to this post and site, I built a rifle close to your expectations.
            1)McMillan A4 stock
            2)Defiance action 3)Krieger barrel 9.35 twist rate, finished at 26" 4)Timney trigger, 8 ounce travel and 1lbs pull
            5)All steel Nightforce rail with Spuhr rings, 40 MOA total 6) Nightforce BEAST
            scope 7)Smith Enterprise brake. That about rounds it out.
            Anything that you submit would be helpfully. Thank You.

Comment

Working...
            X