X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip #3

Good Day Everyone,

Hope you all had a great day.

This weeks tip is in regards to mounting scopes onto the heavy recoiling systems. We have tried all sorts of ways to mount the scope in the scope rings in regards to placement of the scope in the rings. Some worked great, some failed immediately and some take a little longer to fail. The below method is one that has not failed yet and the method we use on all of our rifles.
    For the heavy recoil beast it is best to use the scope rings to "trap" the scope so that it does not move during recoil. The forward (Breech) ring should be as close to the forward side of the turrets and the rear ring should be as close to the eye piece section as can be. That way both rings essentially trap the scope from being able to move under recoil.

Thanks
    Formerly ELRx3

www.ccintnl.com

USA Home of the Voere Precision Weapon Systems; Model M2 and X3

That would be one way of doing it, provided the scope ended up in a usable/comfortable location for the shooter.

In forty+ years of dealing with factory, blueprinted and full custom rifles I've noted that scopes tend to slip under recoil due to poor alignment of the bores of the rings. This misalignment can be caused by the scope mount holes in the receiver being out of line front to back with two piece mounts. If the misalignment is bad enough a one piece mount won't even attach, been there, had that problem. It can be caused by the receiver heights above bore centerline not being correct at the front and/or rear of the receiver with a typical 700, 70 or other action. It can be from crappy two piece bases, or from crappy rings although I wouldn't expect most shooters here to use inferior equipment.

Misalignment can cause the erector assembly to bind up when mounting a scope or worse. Limited ring engagement with the scope can result in slippage under recoil, and leave nasty ring marks.

Some folks will shim rear mounts to correct for height. Some will bed a scope similar to bedding an action. Myself, I just break out the lapping bar and want a minimum of 80% contact. If a little extra security is wanted a little rubber cement doesn't hurt and won't mar the scope, rosin is usable too.

I'll grant that lapping in a set of steel rings is a pain in the a**, but I don't swap mounts and rings from rifle to rifle. Matter of fact I usually use high shear strength golf club epoxy for the mounts, easily removable with a heat gun.

IMO, lapping in is the single best way to get rings right. Well, excepting a rifle where the scope mount holes are so far off it needs a trip to the Bridgeport. I've never had a scope slip when I've done it right, and that includes my elk rifle, a custom Winchester mountain rifle in .300 Ultramag that weighs in a 7 lbs. A 180 gr Swift at 3400 fps, that b*** kicks, worst recoiling rifle I have and that includes the Rigby. Well, I haven't tried the new Hornady 450 gr match boat tail yet in the Rigby yet soooo.
    ?Laws are like a spider web, in that it snares the poor and weak while the rich and powerful break them.
    Solon, ancient Greece

Comment

Good Day Sir,

Thank You for taking the time to give such detailed and precise reply. I look forward to reading some more of your post. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and has been for years but it really takes basically "prying" to get members to put their knowledge and experience based comments out there for others to read. I look forward to productive and effective discussions with all members here, from the old timers to the no timers

Thanks
      Formerly ELRx3

www.ccintnl.com

USA Home of the Voere Precision Weapon Systems; Model M2 and X3

Comment

Yep, I handlap all my scope rings. In the time before anyone sold a 35mm lap, I machined one at my buddy's shop........still the one I use.......weighs a ton..........
        www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
        X