Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the current theme song for the US army?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the current theme song for the US army?

Rod Easdown gets an entrA[c]e - and a main - in the world of car-guy restaurants. DOWN one of the back streets of a recently gentrified inner western Sydney suburb there is possibly the most expensive food shop on the face of the planet, and it stands economic theory on its head. Every time it raises its prices the queue of people waving their gold cards just gets longer.

My theory is that they drug the coffee. Consider. You wander in and after just five or 10 seconds you're clutching your chest because you've just seen a tiny box of Belgian biscuits that costs $50 and a 125-gram jar of huckleberry jam for $65. Gasping, reeling, you step towards the light only to be intercepted by one of the most beautiful people in the world who smiles perfectly and asks you if you'd like a cup of coffee. You agree because it's the only thing in the place you can afford. What is the Difference between Coaxial and Component speakers

It's free. And you hear the grinder and you smell the beans and a minute or two later you're sipping totally wonderful java and a minute or two after that you're thinking, yep, that huckleberry jam looks pretty damn good all right. And $395 has to be a bit of a bargain for a sashimi knife. And wouldn't it be fun to get a little bottle of Beluga - the children can squeeze into their old shoes for another term. The only explanation I have for this total reversal in the electron flow in a rational brain is that the coffee beans they're using are branded Yippee.

The food industry has learned much from the motor industry about charging and when you think about it, the cross-pollination is obvious. There are lots of car companies that still haven't quite got the hang of building cars but if there's one thing everyone in the game is good at, it's lunch. And just lately the car guys have been harnessing their manifold talents in this respect to strengthen their second-greatest gift - losing money - while concurrently conquering an entirely new field. Everyone knows there's only one way to go broke faster than flogging cars and that's to open a restaurant. Which is why there has lately been a whole new restaurant genre emerge, the car-guy restaurant. There's Sydney's MG Garage. And Cavalli in Melbourne.

And Fuel Bistro back in Sydney, and Dutton Enoteca back in Melbourne, and the delightfully named, harbour-going MV Garage back in Sydney. Places that celebrate the car, that put it on a pedestal, that tempt you into conversations about big-block Chevies and the art of balancing twin SU carburettors with not a pang of guilt or, it must be said, embarrassment. It's OK, you're among friends - these are people who know where top dead centre is, who don't go all judgmental when you ask about toughening up your nine-inch, who know a Munro from a dunny door.

I dined with John, the marketing manager of a respectable electronics manufacturer, at Duttons the other day - we had the table right under Bibendum - and we talked Armstrong Siddeleys, Rileys and Rover 105R clutchless manuals right through to the little choccies. Good or what? He then spent 2.3 minutes convincing me that $4,000 is a very reasonable price for putting a DVD system in a car - he was getting the lunch on expenses - and then told me about his star ratings for restaurants.

It was a true road-to-Damascus moment. John knows so much about car audio it kind of makes your head ache. In his attempts to share this most esoteric of sciences with riff-raff like me he burns up a lot of lunches; no one talks car audio unless it involves a free lunch. So it was natural for him to develop a restaurant rating system, and it's about the handiest I've ever come across. Critically it has nothing at all to do with the food, which is where most restaurant reviewers lose sight of the main game. People go to restaurants to see and be seen. <a href=""> A Guide to the Simple Way Difference in Car Speakers: 2 way, 3 way, 4 way

The only reason they have food placed in front of them is so they can coolly ignore it because the conversation is such a frolic and they're having, squeak, so much fun! John's restaurant scoring system starts and finishes with the menu. First he goes to the desserts and looks for the word coulis. If it's there, the restaurant scores one point. Now he bounces back to the appetisers and mains and looks for the word jus. If it's there, the place gets another point.

Now it starts getting technical. He scans the entire document for the usage of unique words and phrases. Words like impaled, devolved, unemotional, soupAs.on, medley, discrete, impudent, capricious and lightly killed. His favourite: "An outrageous whimsy of flavours, textures and tastes." In his more innocent days John thought cruditA[c]s were people who attended the Summernats. He considered the place that referred to sodium instead of salt at the leading edge until he went to one that used NaCl.

On discovery of such a word or phrase, a third point is awarded and you know you are under the roof of an establishment that is seriously and very earnestly up itself. Then comes the bonus point. There has to be a new, unique and truly ludicrous price format. For example, instead of indicating a price of $22.50, the menu will show "$22.5" or "$221/2" or "twenty-two-fifty" or it will do any of these things with no dollar signs, or it will have a Euro conversion, or it will add a feng-shui surcharge. John's advice: reward creativity. He has only ever dined at one restaurant that has scored three points plus the bonus. How to Choose the Best Car Speakers Read more

It was in Melbourne (of course) and he was tempted to give it a fifth point for the phonetic way in which its name was spelt. It costs a lot, the wait staff make it obvious they'd far rather be doing something else, the portions are tiny and the coffee, when it comes, is sensational. Everyone loves it. And I think I know where they buy their beans. Rod Easdown writes about cars for The Australian Financial Review.
    Last edited by Adrienne224; 1 week ago.

"It's a Small World"
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Navy is "row row row your boat" !!!
      " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Working...
      X