MHS, M9 replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHS, M9 replacement

The Modular Handgun System is anticipated to be the next U.S. military standard side arm replacing the M9.
    So if you were the Boss ? Do not forget that you choose for the whole Army and Air Force !
    Beretta M9A3
    0%
    Smith & Wesson M&P
    0%
    Sig Sauer P226, P228
    0%
    Remington R11
    0%
    Glock 19, 22
    28.57%
    Colt M1911A1
    42.86%
    Springfield Armory
    14.29%
    Heckler & Koch USP
    0%
    Other , please add the name in comments
    14.29%
    " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

A 1911 of some sort.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I sort of hate to jump into this never-ending "which pistol is best" argument, but here's my take:
      For simplicity, ruggedness, and a size that almost any shooter can handle, it's hard to beat the Glock 19 in 9mm.
      For parts replacement, it's simple to work on. No handfitting or machinery required by armorers to fix one.
      I've carried one in two wars, and carry one every day here in CONUS.
      "Kill evil. It's how quality of life is achieved. Carry on."---Ted Nugent

Comment

Ok, where does the "handfitting" for the 1911 come in? Complete crap on a mil-spec pistol. It doesn't work, you change the applicable part, it runs. The only, and I say again, the only time hand fitting is required is on a "tuned" or should I say "tweaked/tightened" pistol. If you leave JB's original design the hell alone, it runs just fine. Shoots minute of man, all day long. Damn I've had enough of that prima donna BS.
        "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

Well, I knew I shouldn't have jumped in....

Comment

a good old trap to wake everyone
            " IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, USE DUCT TAPE !" said Uncle Bowe

Comment

Hand fitting, a nice set of ivory or exotic wood grips on a 1911, I suppose you could tape them on a Grock over the skateboard tape upgrade...you know ta keep the prastic from slipping out of your hand, combat weapon Grocks are not repaired they are recycled... into beer can holder thingies and dog fire hydrant P posts 9mm, nope, prefer "God's golden bowling ball", a couple good ones much better than a hi-cap mag of little ones! And having actually used the pistol as intended, eliminating my countries enemies in 4 wars and several just old shoot 'em ups, the "old" 1911 and the .45 work best, if I want to shoot 15 or 20 rounds fast I'll use a sub gun..in .45 of course.
              Last edited by JY; 02-16-2015, 03:11 PM. Reason: hate furin' junk guns, if so good how come they win NO wars?
              "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCeeNC View Post
                Well, I knew I shouldn't have jumped in....
                LOL. That wasn't a personal shot hoss. You did tweak an active nerve though.

I have seen a metric butt ton of write ups lately on how useless the 1911 is as anything but a match pistol that requires constant tweaking. I have yet to see that on any pistol other than one that has been "tuned" because the pistol is not "tight enough". My pistols all run, have had tons of rounds put through them and work just fine.

I'm not sure how we ever fought a war or survived a gunfight before the glocks.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Comment

I was addressing the original question, which was NOT "which pistol do YOU prefer?" It was about which pistol would be the best choice for the entire US armed forces, men and women, of all shapes, sizes, ages, and levels of skill and differing ability to attain skills. To me, it's a question of which pistol would be easiest for ANY man or woman to shoot effectively, and which would be easiest for the instructor to teach.
                  In the last 10 years I've trained thousands of GI's on the range. I've come to believe that simpler is better. Ergo my choice--and I'm stickin' with it!

Comment

It's not about what I prefer, the hand fitting is crap. Not necessary. Never had an issue with that on a 92 either. Let's not run out straw dogs if we're sticking to the original post.

Comment

Wouldn't a Glock 17 be more likely (if sticking with 9mm) than a 19?

Comment

I read about Hi points on the interweb, from what I heard they are better than any 1911. Also they can be had in the powerful 380acp!
                        " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                        '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

I'll just leave this here without comment...

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...marsoc-45.html

Marines Allow Operators to Choose Glocks over MARSOC .45s

Feb 19, 2015 | by Matthew Cox
                          The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since most of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.
                          The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.
                          The reliable, easy-to-maintain 9mm features a polymer frame and a 17-round magazine.
                          The Marine Corps just completed an exhaustive search for a new MARSOC pistol in 2012. The service awarded a $22.5 million contract to Colt Defense LLC., for up to 10,000 Close Quarter Battle Pistols.
                          The custom, 1911 design replaced the fleet of worn-out MARSOC M45 pistols. It features a rail for mounting lights, a custom trigger, a manual safety, improved ergonomics and glowing Tritium sights for low-light conditions.
                          As nice as the new .45s are, MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
                          The 1911 was a ground-breaking design that served the U.S. military before World War I until the mid-1980s. The design is still popular, but it's also heavy, prone to malfunction and limited to seven or eight-round magazines, pistols experts have said.
                          The Corps began issuing custom 1911 .45 pistols to its elite Force Reconnaissance units in the 1990s. Gunsmiths at the Quantico Weapons Training Battalion Precision Weapons Section hand built them from old 1911s that had been replaced by the M9 9mm pistol in the mid-1980s.
                          The creation of the first MARSOC units in 2006 caused the requirement to grow from 400 pistols to 4,000 pistols. Finding enough surplus 1911s for the Precision Weapons Section's custom rebuilds became impractical.
                          The Marines chose to stick with the 1911 design for MARSOC. Marine testers placed a high priority on accuracy. The winner of the 2012 contract had to be capable of putting five-shot groups on target that "didn't exceed four inches by four inches at 25 yards" from an unsupported firing position, Marine officials maintain.
                          But military pistol experts maintain that the 1911 design, while extremely accurate, requires more training and care than other modern tactical pistols.
                          Young operators have had trouble with the 1911's beavertail grip safety, according to one former Marine weapons instructor who trained MARSOC members.
                          Many shooters wearing gloves tend to grip the 1911 too high and do not properly disengage the beavertail grip safety, so the pistol won't fire, he said. A lot of professional shooters who run custom 1911s will disable that beavertail grip safety to avoid this problem, he added.
                          The 1911 design is also known for feed-way stoppages, a malfunction caused when a round gets stuck feeding into the chamber, experts said. Horizontal and vertical stovepipes – types of malfunctions that occur when an empty shell casing gets caught in the ejection port – are also a problem with the 1911 design.
                          The Feb. 2 MARADMIN, is an annual message that lays out guidelines for authorized individual weapons, optics and accessories for Marine Corps rifle and pistol training.
                          -- Matthew Cox can be reached at matthew.cox@military.com

Comment

Glock 41...just to fan the flames :P

Comment

Working...
                            X