X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing Trigger Slap Drill

Controlling Trigger Slap
    Develop a feel for the trigger reset point of your firearm. The symptom this exercise attempts to control is completely releasing the trigger between shots -- which is unnecessary. There is the first part of the trigger movement -- the take-up, then the break, then the movement of the trigger after the break. The trigger only needs to be released for a follow-up shot to the point that it resets for the next break. Releasing it further causes the shooter to "slap" the trigger, generally throwing the shot off course.

Setup
    None.

Procedure
    With an empty gun, rack the slide to activate the trigger. Pull the trigger back until it breaks and keep holding it back. Cycle the slide while holding the trigger back. Now slowly release the trigger until you feel it reset. Pull the trigger back again, feeling it break for the next shot. Learn how to release the trigger just enough to make the next shot. Even at the range you can practice firing and holding back the trigger, releasing to the reset point, and then taking your next shot. Build up speed as you learn the reset point (both in dry and live fire practice).

Variations and Similar Drills
    You could have someone rack the slide for you while you maintain your shooting position.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
    Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Hi Carbon,

Good Drill you sent. Do you think it can be used on Basic Handguns classes or it is just for more "advanced" students.

My department sidearm is a Taurus PT-101 .40 and the Drill works great! I am testing it on my Imbel GC .40 (single action).

Thanks,
    Rod
    Brasil brazil

Comment

BR762

Yes the Slap Drill can be used in Basic Classes and Advance Classes. When I train at home this is one of the drills I do with snap caps. I can only speak of my own shooting and this drill, which I found on another web site, helped me to shoot much better. I have other drills that I use for my pistol training sessions and will post one a week until I have no more to post if you and others would like.

Carbon
      "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
      Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Comment

Hi Carbon,

I would like to read more about your drills.

Thanks!
        Rod
        Brasil :Brazil

Comment

Working...
        X