X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cmshoot
    started a topic The Triple Nickel

The Triple Nickel

Target: 5 FBI QIT's, 18" from the outside edge of one target (the edge of the target shape itself, not the cardboard/paper it's on) to the next

Distance: 5 yards

Round count: minimum of 10 rounds

Time limit: 5 seconds

Set up: Shot from the holster, with a covering garment

Starting position: "Field interview", i.e., hands touching in front of the body

Scoring: Hit or miss. The shooter DOES NOT get the benefit of the doubt, so any round that strikes the outer line, whether on the inside or outside, is counted as a miss

Drill: At the sound of the timer, the shooter will draw and engage each target with a double tap/concealed pair, while performing a mandatory reload at any point the shooter wishes. The shooter may engage the targets in any order

For example, at the sound of the timer, the shooter draws and engages the first target with 2 rounds, performs a reload, and engages the other 4 targets with 2 rounds each.

In order to pass, the shooter must fire all 10 rounds with 100% accuracy, and do it all in 5.00 seconds or less. To boot, the shooter must pass it 3 times in the same day to pass.

In order for it to be "official" and for the shooter to be awarded his Triple Nickel challenge coin, all the runs must be completed in the presence of 2 Nickel Holders.

I ran it several times for the first time today, using a SIG P229 in .357SIG out of my Rusty Sherrick holster and a 5.11 vest for a covering garment. I passed 4x with times of 4.64, 4.74, 4.80 and 4.82 seconds

Try it!

• ccso12
    replied
    [quote]
    Hey Guys,
    I used the Safariland back in my days of wheel gunning. I liked that they were spring loaded and launched the rounds into the chambers, while simultaneously pushing the loader away. No twisting or tugging like with the HKS type that most folks were using. Just push it in, let go and close the cylinder. They were also a little taller, so you got a better purchase when grabbing them, too...
    Respectfully,
    Harry[/b]

that sounds similar to what he had the day I was there, I dont think they had they twist release like mine. think he just depressed the centerand it dropped.

Leave a comment:

• SpecOpsScout
    replied
    Hey Guys,
    I used the Safariland back in my days of wheel gunning. I liked that they were spring loaded and launched the rounds into the chambers, while simultaneously pushing the loader away. No twisting or tugging like with the HKS type that most folks were using. Just push it in, let go and close the cylinder. They were also a little taller, so you got a better purchase when grabbing them, too...
    Respectfully,
    Harry

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    That's outstanding using speedloaders. It would be a bit easier if you were using moonclips.

Leave a comment:

• ccso12
    replied
    [quote]
    That's dang good with a wheelgun. Was he using a 625 or similar model with moon clips, or was he using speedloaders?[/b]
    686 with speedloaders but not sure what kind or style. i wasnt there when they run with the pac timer the other day.

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    That's dang good with a wheelgun. Was he using a 625 or similar model with moon clips, or was he using speedloaders?

Leave a comment:

• ccso12
    replied
    [quote]
    Never heard of it being done, but I know there are folks out there that can do it.[/b]
    looks faster than it was. 6.05 fastest he got, but its smoking with a smith!

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    Never heard of it being done, but I know there are folks out there that can do it.

Leave a comment:

• ccso12
    replied
    [quote]
    You do not have to shoot to slide lock, a mag exchange is just fine.

Website is down and gone, but I will be taking over the running of the 555 and will have it back up and going.[/b]

thanks, just curious, anyone run that with a revolver in time? I have trouble getting repeated sub 5 seconds with a semi. got one guy that wants to try it with his wheelgun again until he gets it. we didn't time him but I think he's close! crazy, but shoots constantly for decades now

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    You do not have to shoot to slide lock, a mag exchange is just fine.

Website is down and gone, but I will be taking over the running of the 555 and will have it back up and going.

Leave a comment:

• ccso12
    replied
    shep do you have to do an empty slide lock reload or just a mag exchange? can't find the 555 website that I looked up last year. thought it was www.triple-nickle.net but it is a blank page now. it didnt look like it was an empty gun reload in the above video but he was also shooting on steel.

Leave a comment:

• CaptRichardson
    replied
    cutdown M79 with a Canister/AP round![/b]
    That's a helluva CQB weapon!
    [/b]
    M79

Pattern did not open up as much with a full barrel at that distance. Figure 27 pellets of 00 buck, in an approx 30 m x 30 m pattern, going about 1,000 feet per second!

Of course now days you use a MGL Mk 1, and you can get 6 rounds on the way as quick as you can pull the trigger!
    M Richardson

Leave a comment:

• cmshoot
    replied
    cutdown M79 with a Canister/AP round![/b]
    That's a helluva CQB weapon!

Leave a comment:

• CaptRichardson
    replied
    I saw "Triple Nickel", talk about bringing back some memories!

I was trying to figure out what a Devil Dog would be doing with Big Green? Makes perfect sense now!

Congrats on the shooting!

If they get that close, I will stick to a shotgun, about the best chance I have given my close range shooting abilities! Man I miss having a cutdown M79 with a Canister/AP round!

M Richardson

Leave a comment:

• usngunner
    replied
    Just blew the rendezvous class schedule didn't it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X