This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Triple Nickel

Target: 5 FBI QIT's, 18" from the outside edge of one target (the edge of the target shape itself, not the cardboard/paper it's on) to the next

Distance: 5 yards

Round count: minimum of 10 rounds

Time limit: 5 seconds

Set up: Shot from the holster, with a covering garment

Starting position: "Field interview", i.e., hands touching in front of the body

Scoring: Hit or miss. The shooter DOES NOT get the benefit of the doubt, so any round that strikes the outer line, whether on the inside or outside, is counted as a miss

Drill: At the sound of the timer, the shooter will draw and engage each target with a double tap/concealed pair, while performing a mandatory reload at any point the shooter wishes. The shooter may engage the targets in any order

For example, at the sound of the timer, the shooter draws and engages the first target with 2 rounds, performs a reload, and engages the other 4 targets with 2 rounds each.

In order to pass, the shooter must fire all 10 rounds with 100% accuracy, and do it all in 5.00 seconds or less. To boot, the shooter must pass it 3 times in the same day to pass.

In order for it to be "official" and for the shooter to be awarded his Triple Nickel challenge coin, all the runs must be completed in the presence of 2 Nickel Holders.

I ran it several times for the first time today, using a SIG P229 in .357SIG out of my Rusty Sherrick holster and a 5.11 vest for a covering garment. I passed 4x with times of 4.64, 4.74, 4.80 and 4.82 seconds

Try it!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

I can't wait to try it when I get home. Looks like alot of fun.
    In the Jungle, On the hunt, I am The Ghost in the Darkness

Comment

I have seen cmshoot fire several times with his back to target. Its pretty amazing. Drawing and firing backwards and in the process of firing turning to face target while never missing. Pretty amazing shooting.
      JayCee, the bill drill above has the shooter facing the target, not his back to the target.

Comment

I really like these ideas. It gives those of us with less formal training some things to consider when going to the range for practice purposes. Thanks.

Jet
        Isshin Ryu Student

Comment

Lakotah we're going to have to try this. Either your place or mine.
          No man knows how bad he is, until he has tried very hard to be good.
          C.S. Lewis

Comment

dualspringfields. I tried it the other day. Without a covering garmet, I only got 5.95 as my fastest.
            I was having trouble with my mag exchanges on the XD. Not used to it yet.

Comment

I finally had a chance to shoot the Triple Nickel in front of 2 "Nickel Holders" today. In order to actually get awarded a Triple Nickel challenge coin, you have to shoot it in the presence of 2 Nickel holders.

I'll post pics of my coin when I get it.

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
                I'll post pics of my coin when I get it.[/b]
                That was subtle.

Congratulations bossman!

Vince
                "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

You've joined an elite group indeed, as of 02/2009 there were only 31 registered coin holders, congrats Shep...
                  I am a Patriot...First, Foremost, and Always... "Our Bill Of Rights is not negotiable. Not one single part, not ever. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the range." "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy pa?tri?ot?ism -(noun)- devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

Comment

That's some serious awesomeness Shep .. but do you have an answer for the triple decker pecker wrecker?
                    America deserves to know her heroes!

Comment

Here's the Triple Nickel drill on steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrm-L92VREE

Dang, fast shooting in anybodies book. I'm sure Shep and Jeff can do this in a blink.
                      "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

The guy in that video is from our office, good guy and a good shooter.

Comment

Wow ...that was impressive ...Congrats Brother .
                          "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
                          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
                          "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Comment

Congrats Shep
                            " May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't" General George S.Patton

" Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"

" The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail...the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation" Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Comment

Received my coin with due ceremony a few days ago. #58

Comment

Working...
                              X