This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Cooper Pistol Maintenance Course

Does anyone have a copy of the course of fire Jeff Cooper developed called something like "Pistol Skills Maintenance Course" (or somesuch). It's a 100 round course.
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

I think I have it;

Title; The Modern Technique of the Pistol.
    Writer: Gregory Boyce Morrison
    Editorial adviser; Jeff Cooper

Page 39 of the "Blue Press" August 2004 Issue.

Amazon.com

Carbon
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"
    Ambrose Redmoon

"To the American soldier, whose fidelity, patriotism, and valor have made this land the last best hope of earth."

Comment

Actually, I was just looking for the course of fire and I have it now.

Skill Maintenance Exercises

Part 1: Head shots

3 yards: single head shot, starting holstered, in 1.5 seconds
      7 yards: single head shot, starting holstered, in 2.0 seconds

Part: Mozambique drill (simulating a failure to stop the adversary with upper torso hits)

3 yards: Fire a hammer or dedicated pair to the chest, starting holstered, in 1.5 seconds. Come down to the Guard Position smartly. Keep your eyes on the target! At the signal - supplied either by a fellow shooter or by yourself - make a head shot in 1.0 second. Repeat the entire drill.
      7 yards: repeat the 3 yard drill, allowing 2.0 seconds for the pair of hits to the chest, and 1.5 seconds for the head shot

Part 3: Facing a target at 10 yards, fire a pair of hits to the chest, starting holstered, in less 2.0 seconds. Repeat if desired.

Part 4: Face to the right (3 o'clock) of downrange and place yourself 10 yards from the target. Begin holstered. Turn, draw and place two hits to the chest in 2.0 seconds. Repeat both from the left (9 o'clock) and from a position where you have your back to the target (6 o'clock).

Part 5: Facing a target at 10 yards, draw and place two hits to the chest, reload and hit twice more in 5.0 seconds.

Part 6: Quick assumption of kneeling. Facing a target at 15 yards, assume the braced kneeling position and place two chest hits on the target in 3.5 seconds. (Push this drill back to 25 yards when you can)

Part 7: Quick assumption of roll-over prone. Facing a target at 25 yards, assume the roll-over prone position and place two chest hits on the target in 7 seconds. (Push this drill back to 50 yards when you can. 7 seconds is still sufficient time. You may wish to shorten the 25 yard time frame, as you gain proficiency, to about 5 seconds)

"Acquiring the optimum balance of speed and accuracy must be the objective of the foregoing exercises. Completing these exercises with a perfect score (no shots out of the X-ring except for the two head shots in the Mozambique drill) indicates that one possesses a time cushion. You must make an effort to pick up speed. If, on the other hand, you cannot make the recommended times, slow down until at least four out of five hits are X's. (Complete misses are unacceptable)

Shooters with daunting difficulty at long range should not be discouraged. The chances of using a pistol at such distances are very low. At the inner ranges the shooter should determine which speed affords around 80% X's. The essence of successful practice is concentration on each individual stroke. Going to the range and simply expending ammunition is costly and, worse yet, unproductive. Successful marksmanship, on any level, and with any firearm, implies total concentration upon the task at hand during the time interval necessary to carry it out. "

The last 2 paragraphs come directly from the handout for the course of fire and aren't my own words. I have a couple more courses of fire I will post when I get some time. One is the Shaw Standard and the other is from Gabriel Suarez.
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Working...
      X