This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Pistol Course

The TPC is the old FAMS qual course. I run all my pistol students through it at the end of the day, as a "yard stick" to measure their basic skills.

No, this course does not gauge all the myriad of skills that I feel you should have to be a competent Operator of the Pistol, stuff like shooting and moving, clearing malfunctions, use of cover, etc. It does involve a firm grasp of the fundamentals, however. It is a quick and easy COF to run, and if you have a timer with a delay on it, you can run yourself through the course.

Here is the course of fire:

Distance: 7 yards
    Target: FBI QIT
    Number of targets: 3. The leftmost target is the Primary target. Unless specified otherwise, all drills are shot on the Primary target.
    Rounds: 30
    Scoring: Anything on the target is 5 points. Anything outside the target shape, but on the cardboard, is 2 points (-3 points). A Miss is 0 points (-5 points). Shooter DOES NOT get the benefit of the doubt. Rounds on the line go to the lower score.
    Minimum of 135 points to pass.

The first drill is shot from the holster, as are the pivot drills. All other drills are shot from the High Ready (also called the Compressed Ready).

With the exception of the third drill, all drills are shot twice. Each drill has a set time, but what is important is the total of the pair of drills. If a drill is 2 seconds, and it's repeated twice for a total of 4 seconds, it's the 4 second total that you're worried about. You could shoot the first drill in 2.5 seconds, as long as you shot the second drill in 1.5 seconds or less.

If you shoot a drill improperly, you fail the entire course. It's a failure, not a points deduction. If the drill calls for 6 shots, and you shoot 5 or 7, you fail the entire COF.

If you do not make the time limit for any stage, you fail the entire COF.

All drills must be shot with the weapon on safe, if you normally use the safety. You cannot manipulate the safety until the timer goes off.

Emergency Reload: Weapon runs totally empty. Remove empty mag, insert loaded mag, chamber
    Tactical Reload: A round in the chamber, unknown number of rounds in magazine. Drop magazine in the weapon (you do not have to retain), replace with a loaded magazine, you're done. No need to manipulate the safety, slide or slide release

Stage 1:
    Holster
    1 round on the Primary Target
    Repeat for a total time limit of 3.30

Stage 2: Double Tap
    High Ready
    2 rounds on the Primary Target
    1.65 seconds
    Repeat for a total time limit of 3.30 seconds

Stage 3: Control Recoil
    High Ready
    6 rounds
    3 seconds
    DO NOT REPEAT

Stage 4: Tactical Reload
    High Ready
    2 rounds on Primary Target
    3.25 seconds
    Fire 1 round, perform an Tactical Reload, fire a second round
    Repeat for a total of 6.50 seconds

Stage 5: 2 Threats
    High Ready
    2 rounds: 1 on Primary Target, 1 on Secondary Target
    1.65 seconds
    You must shoot one drill while engaging left-right and the other while engaging right-left.
    Repeat for a total of 3.30 seconds

Stage 6: 180 Degree Pivot
    Back to targets, Holstered
    3 rounds, 1 each on the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Targets
    3.50 seconds
    First drill you can choose to pivot left or right. On the second drill, you must pivot in the opposite direction. Targets may be engaged in any order.
    Repeat for a total of 7 seconds

Stage 7: Emergency Reload
    Remove the loaded magazine from the handgun, leave the round in the chamber, and insert an empty magazine
    High Ready
    2 rounds
    4 seconds
    Fire 1 round, go to a knee while performing an Emergency Reload, fire a second round from the kneeling
    Repeat for a total of 8 seconds

Enjoy!
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier
Working...
X